Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel towel replacement policy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Hotel towel replacement policy

I recently stayed overnight in one hotel and then moved to a different hotel in that area for the second night I needed. I moved just for saving money, since I had a free night certificate for that second hotel, which was about to expire.

I haven't used or even touched any of the towels in the first room, left the entire bathroom in virtually the exact the same condition that I got it.

What is generally the policy of hotels for such cases when it seems that the towels in a room to be rotated do not require replacement for the next guess? Trying to add this to my considerations for next time, as I try to minimize my eco footprint with all the power, water, detergent etc they waste on an unnecessary rotation of the 10 towels or so in each such room...
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no general answer to anything. What is the specific property? If it matters to you, ask the property.

One would hope that any property changes out the sheets and towels in a room which has been accessed by another person without regard to whether the item has been "used."

Always good to be mindful of one's footprint, but preventing disease is also a worthy goal.
mmff likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
There is no general answer to anything. What is the specific property? If it matters to you, ask the property.

One would hope that any property changes out the sheets and towels in a room which has been accessed by another person without regard to whether the item has been "used."

Always good to be mindful of one's footprint, but preventing disease is also a worthy goal.
It was a Crowne Plaza, but I'm asking whether staff, generally, in mid-level properties, have some discretion and can make the judgement call of whether towels are in fact untouched to avoid replacing them?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Which specific property? Not sure how anyone on the face of the planet can provide any information without knowing that.

I most certainly hope that the answer is "no." Once a guest has entered a room, all towels, sheets and other similar items should be changed out before the room is rented out to another guest. I would never stay in a property which did not do this and would like to know of properties which do not, so that I can strike them off my list.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Exactly. How is a hotel to know if you’ve not used a towel, or whether you’ve used it to wipe your hairy backside and then folded it up neatly?

Boil wash on check out for all towels I would hope!
ajGoes, pauq and mmff like this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
I wonder what is typical practice. I'd assumed they'd leave untouched towels there. If there are three large bath towels neatly folded and I use one and leave it on a hook or the floor and the other two untouched, i figured when i check out they would only replace one towel.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:16 pm

Hard to know what the official policy is at hotels, but my guess would be at most higher-end places towels should be replaced after any stay. But I would bet it's very common for maids to not replace towels that seem clearly unused. Wouldn't bother me, personally. There might be a difference between a towel hanging near the sink (that may be used, but look unused) and a set of folded towels in the corner that clearly are unused.

Either way, it is not something I put much concern into.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:14 pm

I never thought of this, but I would hope that everything is replaced whether they feel it has been used or not.

I was sick the last time I stayed in a hotel. When I would have a coughing fit, I would head to the bathroom so I wouldn't wake up my husband. Since I had fractured my rib due to the coughing, I would need to sit on the "commode", hold my sides while coughing. Very hard to cover your mouth with your arm while it is wrapped around you, so the all those germs were flying right towards the towels hanging in front of me.

I know this is not usual, but since you have no idea what has happened in that room before you arrived, all things should be replaced. If we are staying more than one night, we usually do not request service and reuse.

And now I will always wonder if the towel I am wiping my face with is really "clean".......
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:19 pm

Towel rotation

Originally Posted by austrianflyer
I recently stayed overnight in one hotel and then moved to a different hotel in that area for the second night I needed. I moved just for saving money, since I had a free night certificate for that second hotel, which was about to expire.

I haven't used or even touched any of the towels in the first room, left the entire bathroom in virtually the exact the same condition that I got it.

What is generally the policy of hotels for such cases when it seems that the towels in a room to be rotated do not require replacement for the next guess? Trying to add this to my considerations for next time, as I try to minimize my eco footprint with all the power, water, detergent etc they waste on an unnecessary rotation of the 10 towels or so in each such room...
all towels are washed regardless of how they look. We do not know if the previous guest blew their nose on a towel with clear saliva. To ensure that nobody has tampered with anything from the previous stay all linen is refreshed.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:22 pm

Rest assured

Originally Posted by Jane42
I never thought of this, but I would hope that everything is replaced whether they feel it has been used or not.

I was sick the last time I stayed in a hotel. When I would have a coughing fit, I would head to the bathroom so I wouldn't wake up my husband. Since I had fractured my rib due to the coughing, I would need to sit on the "commode", hold my sides while coughing. Very hard to cover your mouth with your arm while it is wrapped around you, so the all those germs were flying right towards the towels hanging in front of me.

I know this is not usual, but since you have no idea what has happened in that room before you arrived, all things should be replaced. If we are staying more than one night, we usually do not request service and reuse.

And now I will always wonder if the towel I am wiping my face with is really "clean".......
Rest assured that all linens are washed regardless of previous guests use. We do not know if “Mary” in room 208 was sick or blew clear booger’s in a towel that looks like it had not been wiped or wiped her mouth on a towel after brushing her teeth and had droplets of water on her face. All linens are washed and refreshed on a daily basis.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:26 pm

Linen

Originally Posted by AlanInDC
I wonder what is typical practice. I'd assumed they'd leave untouched towels there. If there are three large bath towels neatly folded and I use one and leave it on a hook or the floor and the other two untouched, i figured when i check out they would only replace one towel.
For sanitary purposes I would reccomend bringing used linens to the front desk so they are not left on the floor. As a front desk associate who has also cleaned rooms, we as a team never place any linens used or unused on the floor for health precaution. General rule of thumb for our hotel is that no linens shall touch the floor so guests Should feel better knowing that all linens go directly to our wash carts into the wash folded and brought to their room refreshed never touching the ground .
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:06 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Frontdeskassociate

all towels are washed regardless of how they look. We do not know if the previous guest blew their nose on a towel with clear saliva. To ensure that nobody has tampered with anything from the previous stay all linen is refreshed.
Thank you, Frontdeskassociate and welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Frontdeskassociate

While this may be your hotel's policy, we know it doesn't occur everywhere, all the time. I once had the displeasure of a bath towel full of dried splooge between the fold, discovered when removing it from the rack, at the cheapest of hotels, yes, a W.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:08 pm

Are you sure that’s not a brand standard..
smc333 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:03 pm

It may be a brand/hotel policy, but often the staff is pressured to work and turnover as quickly as possible (they get paid $xyz for # of rooms regardless of hours worked)

There are plenty of news exposes about this (sheets or towels)

https://www.google.com/search?q=news...changing+sheet
smc333 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.