Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

If you didn't have status, would you pay for premium cabin?

If you didn't have status, would you pay for premium cabin?

Old Apr 6, 19, 7:13 am
formerly AtomicLush

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Spire; AA Platinum Pro (DH = EXP), Delta Gold
Yes. We buy even if we have status as long as the fare up front fare isnít exorbitant. It doesnít guarantee IRROPS protection though. Even when I was PLAT AND in confirmed J, I was reaccommodated in Y and had to request refund in fare from AA.
Old Apr 6, 19, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Status has had little effect on my cabin of choice, primarily because my OW Emerald status doesn't offer upgrades bar any vouchers for BA travel. If I want to travel in F/J I buy F/J which is about 95% of the time.

On those occasions where I'm not in F/J status has softened the blow so I would pick a oneworld partner for carryover status benefits...for example we took a trip from NYC to Florida with friends last year, the best timings were Jetblue oneway and AA the other. The friends didn't seem interested in FC on the AA flight. The status my wife and I have allowed us to guest them into the Admirals Club at MCO and as we were on one reservation we all got MCE exit rows where the middle seats were free. With free booze it was "First Lite" ha!

Personally there are certain things that have very little benefit for me. SDC is something I have never once used. I have proactively been offered seats on earlier flights but it didn't always work with my plans. With IRROPs I've always been able to bag a seat on the next available flight in my cabin of choice so waitlists is something I don't have to mess with.

For me status helps me in the following ways for the majority of my travels:
-flying BA - use of First check-in/First Wing/First lounges when flying business class. bonus miles, occasional meet and greet from the cabin services director
-flying AA - use of Flagship Check-In, use of Flagship lounges on domestic flights, bonus miles,
My travel with other oneworld airlines is so sporadic as to not really mention.
Old Apr 6, 19, 9:31 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
My wife and I travel together and don’t care much for sitting next to strangers, so if it’s 3 x 3 in coach, we’ll spring for first class, but if we can get a pair of seats in coach (i.e., MD-80 or RJ), then that’s good enough.
Old Apr 6, 19, 10:16 am

Programs: AC Prestige
Iím currently without any elite status and Iíve only purchased premium when schedules were fixed and there were no other alternatives, although I have flown premium by redeeming points.

i do have an upcoming trip to Scandinavia planned where I booked business class outbound and premium economy on the return, but a) itís a 20th wedding anniversary trip and b) I used funny money from a travel credit card to pay for it.
Old Apr 6, 19, 10:24 am

Programs: Many
If it's a flight over 3.5/4 hours, absolutely. For short flights, only if the price is close. For example, I recently purchased F on an AA STL-LGA flight, where F was like $60 more than Y. I'm EXP and almost certainly would have cleared anyway, but the price was so close that I figured, why not stack 2xEQM and not worry about clearing the upgrade.
Old Apr 6, 19, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Even with status I still considering paying extra at booking for premium class. Part of reason is that status isn't what it used to be. Ten to 12 years ago I scored upgrades about 50% of the time as a mid-tier elite and 80%+ as a top-tier. Then, with changes in the programs, it dropped below 25% for top-tier and became virtually nil for mid-tier.
Old Apr 6, 19, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
For work it depends on what my schedule will be and what the fare difference is. So far this calendar year I’ve taken advantage of DL’s FCM offers twice. One trip already completed, the other is just one leg in May. My client pays for some flavor of coach, I’m on my own to cover the rest if I so desire. In both situations my work schedule was and will be very intense so knowing I’ll have the seat and that level of comfort/service is important (and with hardly any rollover from last year, a couple of transcon legs with the MQM bonus doesn’t hurt either).

For vacations, the wife and kids basically take a row with one of sitting across the aisle. Coach does fine for us. My wife and I have our 10th anniversary trip to HER this October. For that I burned rewards as needed for highest class as possible.
Old Apr 6, 19, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Obviously the short answer to the OP's question is "it depends". But almost every aspect of the travel experience is better when you're in a ticketed cabin. Priority check in, security line, free checked bags, possible lounge access, early boarding, better seating, better food and drink etc. I think it's worth a significant premium over coach.

Now that said, the big exception market for me is Europe. I buy a lot of short haul one-ways in Europe and even on routes like MXP-ZRH and VNO-WAW-OTP the price is 4-5 times or more for Business over Coach. And because the seats are the same as coach just with a middle blocked it removes a lot of the value for me.
Old Apr 7, 19, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
I don’t understand the question. Many occupants of premium seats have no status, but rather are infrequent fliers who prefer greater comfort. Is that surprising?
traveler4ever likes this.
Old Apr 7, 19, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, AF Silver, AA PlatPro
No for domestic. For international, yes if I can get it cheap or upgrade with CC points. I do it for long haul comfort, not IRROPs protection, but you do get better IRROPs treatment in J or F in my experience (for example, much more likely to be put on another airline).
Old Apr 7, 19, 10:23 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
Obviously the short answer to the OP's question is "it depends". But almost every aspect of the travel experience is better when you're in a ticketed cabin. Priority check in, security line, free checked bags, possible lounge access, early boarding, better seating, better food and drink etc. I think it's worth a significant premium over coach.

Now that said, the big exception market for me is Europe. I buy a lot of short haul one-ways in Europe and even on routes like MXP-ZRH and VNO-WAW-OTP the price is 4-5 times or more for Business over Coach. And because the seats are the same as coach just with a middle blocked it removes a lot of the value for me.
Amen, Eurobiz is a joke, give me the exit row with the extra legroom.
Old Apr 7, 19, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I do, but I'm beginning to question it as the perks have eroded. No question for TATL but will seriously consider Coach on other flights. Reasons:

1. Lounge access: AA (I have LT Gold so tend to book them if fares and routes are similar) used to allow lounge access (I believe) on paid Business Class. Not anymore for some flights: I had assumed that I'd have it for DFW-SJC (Cabo San Lucas) because it was international. Nope. Not "international" enough, I guess. Also assumed I'd have it for DFW-HNL in November because that's a long flight. Nope again.

2. So-called meal service. I was recently upgraded to Business from CLT to MCI. The flight time was long enough that, based on the info on AA's site, there would be "lite bites" service. Nope- the snack basket was offered. Multiple times throughout the flight, but that's not the same thing. I had assumed (yeah, I'm a slow learner) that my DFW-SJC flight would have a meal- it left at 8 PM and was nearly 3 hours. First we got a dish of mixed nuts. So far, so good- that's a typical appetizer. About 45 minutes later we were served- a warm cookie. Pitiful.

I'm learning to travel with a stash of Costco protein bars and research VERY carefully before I assume anything about Business Class other than a bigger seat. Since I don't need the seat width (but appreciate the leg room), I've found that some seats in Coach are just fine, especially in the Exit Row and one I had from LHR to MCI that was the second row behind the bulkhead with no seat in front of me. The extra charge for choosing that seat was $100.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 7, 19, 6:42 pm

Programs: WN A+ & CP, AA Plat Pro, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
I pay for First if the difference from Economy is less than $100 per hour of flight.
That's a pretty good rule of thumb......
Old Apr 7, 19, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
I've done over a million miles in a "premium" cabin (and about 900k in Y).
I've rarely paid for it with cash, and almost never at retail prices.

Thans Flyertalk!
Old Apr 9, 19, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (2.6+ MM), UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold.
I fly on my employers dime. Thus no option or expectation of paying for front of cabin. It's not my choice, but I knew the rules....