Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Awkward/Uncomfortable Situation - Passenger Encroachment - What to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Awkward/Uncomfortable Situation - Passenger Encroachment - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch
I've had similar things happen. I nudge the person's head off my shoulder as gently as possible.
Why?

Just quickly move to the side or forwards and their head falling will jolt them awake. Or the body quake from a strong fake sneeze (in their face) will do.

I don't understand this unwarranted politeness towards strangers and their unwanted touching.
HMPS and chavala like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Why?Just quickly move to the side or forwards and their head falling will jolt them awake. Or the body quake from a strong fake sneeze (in their face) will do.

I don't understand this unwarranted politeness towards strangers and their unwanted touching.
Because I will give them the benefit of the doubt and conclude their actions were not deliberate and are the result of them being unconscious. There's no need to "sneeze in their face" or "jolt them awake" when a nudge will solve the problem.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:07 am

I am a LOUD snorer and I try so hard not to fall asleep on flights. On my last flight, I was so tired, I wasn't sure I could stay awake, so I told my seatmates to PLEASE wake me if I started snoring or leaning into their space. That I would rather they do that then have me make their flight uncomfortable.

They didn't wake me, but I could tell I had been snoring, so when my daughter-in-law picked me up from the airport, I told her to hurry and get me out of there - I was mortified that I may have annoyed those around me during the flight.

I have a hard time speaking up for myself, so I am not sure if I could actually wake someone, but I may "re-adjust" myself to push someone out of my space. You regular flyers give me more courage to stand up for myself.

(Need to look into a CPAP.....)
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I generally think people who are asleep are not deliberately encroaching. I have nudged, but it doesn't always work, so I also have a sharp cough and jolt, and a getting up to go to the loo / get something out of my carry on which may be a little bumpier than usual in my repertoire. Gets the job done, without any direct confrontation and sparing the person any embarrassment.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Gonna give this guy the benefit of the doubt and suggest he fell asleep without purposely encroaching on you. I mean, that looks like a horribly uncomfortable way to sleep!! I'd have no problems politely nudging him enough to wake him up and have him sit up. If I fell asleep on another passenger, I'd be kind of embarrassed, apologize, and then reposition myself to try and prevent it from happening again.

Look at it as doing a good deed: by waking him up, you'll hopefully save him one hell of a neckache.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Because I will give them the benefit of the doubt and conclude their actions were not deliberate and are the result of them being unconscious. There's no need to "sneeze in their face" or "jolt them awake" when a nudge will solve the problem.
True, a nudge with a small polit comment is the first and best approach. However such sleepers are serial sleepers and count on one's politeness to suffer and not interrupt their beauty sleep.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by enviroian
Firstly if this happened to me I would instantly say something to this selfish and obnoxious passenger.

Secondly, If the offending passenger was a hot chick would this thread even exist?

Nope.
I hate comments like this. Not everyone who posts here is a man on the make.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by LTBoston
I hate comments like this. Not everyone who posts here is a man on the make.
most are.
NPF likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HMPS
True, a nudge with a small polit comment is the first and best approach. However such sleepers are serial sleepers and count on one's politeness to suffer and not interrupt their beauty sleep.
It's always preferable to start polite and escalate as required.
SFHokie, ajGoes, strickerj and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:11 am

From decades and decades and decades and decades of experience*, I cannot be so "generous" with the benefit of the doubt.

* Not limited to planes.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DragonSoul
From decades and decades and decades and decades of experience*, I cannot be so "generous" with the benefit of the doubt.

* Not limited to planes.
I probably have just as many decades and have learned not to provoke needless confrontations. I am also not troubled by the prospect of responding with as much intensity as a situation requires. It's slightly modified version of the Mattis' philosophy, "Be polite, be professional but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
rbwpi, strickerj and smc333 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by SFHokie
Don't sit there and feel miserable, but rather wake him up (nicely of course) and ask him to sit up. If that doesn't work, ask an FA to reseat you (or him).
agree. sounds like he was asleep and didn't know what he was doing so waking and asking him would be first course
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by enviroian
Firstly if this happened to me I would instantly say something to this selfish and obnoxious passenger.

Secondly, If the offending passenger was a hot chick would this thread even exist?

Nope.
Not everyone enjoys the company of a hot chick ...

It's always preferable to start polite and escalate as required.
It's always a good policy to treat others as how you'd like to be treated yourself. It's terrible how often people forget that simple rule of life.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by SFHokie
Not everyone enjoys the company of a hot chick ...

It's always a good policy to treat others as how you'd like to be treated yourself. It's terrible how often people forget that simple rule of life.

Re hot chicks : I wonder how many will say that and act differently ?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Originally Posted by HMPS
Re hot chicks : I wonder how many will say that and act differently ?
I hope you're not assuming that women, gay guys, and those who are anthropophobic, agoraphobic, or haphephobic don't fly!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.