Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rich/famous people who don't fly Business/First class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by thebakaronis
Do you know other rich and/or famous people who never or rarely fly upper class even on long-haul flights?
Does not flying commercial airline at all count? I’m sure there are a lot of mega rich people who don’t travel in F/J because they can fly private.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
Flying in coach doesn't make you a better person. It just means that you (probably) don't have a lot of money. Sometimes (most of the time) I fly coach but a few times I'll save up my money or miles and fly business class, especially on an international flight. I'm not a frequent flyer.
Flying in coach says that you are a low-life, don't have class and are used to be packed in like cattle. You probably are bitter about your seatmate hogging the arm rest the whole flight. You're particularly resentful about the passenger in front of you reclining the seat giving you barely enough room between your chest and the seat back. You are cranky the whole flight and can't wait to get off the plane but this is typically super slow as coach flyers can't seem to exit the plane without all kinds delays. You are a loser.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:23 pm
Suspended

I heard that Ingvar Kamprad, the billionaire founder of IKEA, only flies economy class. I have to say that, if this is true, I have a lot of respect for him. Do you know other rich and/or famous people who never or rarely fly upper class even on long-haul flights?
I am curious..why would this earn them respect? Is there something wrong with flying F or Biz if you can afford it?
Zeeb and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I heard that Ingvar Kamprad, the billionaire founder of IKEA, only flies economy class. I have to say that, if this is true, I have a lot of respect for him. Do you know other rich and/or famous people who never or rarely fly upper class even on long-haul flights?
He was also something of an admirer of Hitler, so where he chose to sit on the aircraft does not change my opinion of him much,
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by DCAFly
Famous people I have seen in economy, all of which were 10+ years ago: Kevin Kline CMH - DCA (twice); Jesse Jackson DCA - ?; and Dr. Ruth (yes, Dr. Ruth!) from DCA - BTV (though that might have been a regional jet). She was a hoot. She got up and worked the plane. Walked up and down the aisles asking everyone if they had any questions. And she just happened to have been on the cover of the USAir magazine that month and kept asking people if they wanted her autograph. It didn't even seem obnoxious because she was so cute.
Seems pretty needy to me. She should see another psychiatrist or therapist to discuss her need for attention.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm certainly not famous but maybe I'm rich. I can certainly afford J every time, but I won't spend on Business for a flight shorter than 4 or 5 hours. And, like Adam Carolla, I'll prefer the WN "bus" out of BUR for any trip staying west of the Rockies.
​​​​​Living in the US, the biggest advantage to flying J domestically is lounge access (particularly during cxns), imo. But I get that through FF status.
​​​​​​​In no way do I view this as indicative of my character, either positively or negatively. Simply a business decision.
Owenc likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by int2e
Mark Davis and Ron Jeremy both fly WN. One of these may or may not be able to afford a premium cabin.

I saw Ron Jeremy on a Silver Airways flight to Key West. He was in coach. Of course, we ALL were.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:43 pm

Saw bernard hopkins on an AA flight out of Philly.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Betterthanyou
I saw Ron Jeremy
He is poor, no?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When he was DL CEO, Richard Anderson made a point of not only flying domestic coach but reportedly volunteered for middle seats in the back. I would assume that he did the same as DL CEO.

Target is famous for its stingy business travel policies for all employees, so I would assume that all executives without exception fly in basic economy or use a LCC/ULCC.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA, SW, IAG
Originally Posted by ukyank
Aka wealth hoarding

AKA anyone who raises kids to age 22 without them incurring debt?

Mine got long haul flights in economy to exotic locations, although i didnt fly above econ til i left them behind. now I fly wt+/prem econ and occaisonal CW. But I wont pay for them to, having said this they all work now so they can pay their own frieght.
polinka and thebakaronis like this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Betterthanyou
I am curious..why would this earn them respect? Is there something wrong with flying F or Biz if you can afford it?
I admire thrift & the ability to resist succumbing to creature comforts, particularly in a culture where being crassly ostentatious is glamorized & often admired. I'm not famous and, although not rich, I can afford business class tickets every now and then (in addition to business travel). I know it's hard to resist the comforts & privileges of upper class travel, and traveling in cattle class becomes harder the more you get used to traveling in comfort. So, while these rich & famous aren't quite Gandhian in their spartan lifestyles, they seem to be able to do something I often have trouble with.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zitsky
Seems pretty needy to me. She should see another psychiatrist or therapist to discuss her need for attention.
True enough, but seems like you can say the same about any celebrity. Or, well, about 90% of the world's population...
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: NZ *E, AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by roberino
Iggy Pop is rumoured to only fly economy.
I know that's not true as I once was in First in a US domestic flight with him and his entourage a few years ago.
roberino likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:05 pm

There's an argument to be made on the opposite side. Airlines are in the business of making money. Airlines make money from J/F fares. If those who can afford J/F stop paying for J/F, airlines will start raising prices on Y-level fares ... and so taking more from those who can afford it less.

Note: I rarely travel J/F, so I'm not rationalizing my choices here ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.