Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Rich/famous people who don't fly Business/First class

Rich/famous people who don't fly Business/First class

Old Mar 21, 2019, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
The funniest example to me was about 5yrs ago when my ex-gf had a gig as a corporate pilot for a wealthy family. She flew a brand new King Air 350 (about $10m worth) for a successful local business owner (1000 employees across the Mid Atlantic/SouthEast) and sometimes I’d come along for the ride. I got to know the owner quite well and on one flight he asked my current thoughts on airlines to London as he was planning a trip (I’m a Brit). As his flight would begin in Washington I started to espouse the benefits of my many first hand experiences of BA First, included my rather disparaging thoughts on United First and then mentioned Virgin, though noting they only go as high as business class. Rather sheepishly he looked at me and asked how the airlines compared in premium economy!

newflya likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Yeah, well, I always roll my eyes at people who claim they are scrimping and saving and not spoiling their kids or whatever, but send their kids to an expensive private school that costs 3-4 times that J ticket. In the US at least, school funding is inextricably tied to property taxes, so someone wealthy is almost certainly already living in an area with excellent public schools.
Being very wealthy in the US doesn’t necessarily mean that the nearest public (ie government owned/operated) schools (for pre-17/18 year olds) are excellent or otherwise the best choice to get a child their best resume possible for college/university. At least in many urban and suburban areas, it’s possible to have a high value home and still have schools that are questionable in ways that an Exeter/Andover may not be when it comes to spending money. Spending money on education makes more sense to me than spending money to pad the fat airlines’ bottom lines, whether or not there is a forced binary choice.
thebakaronis and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by Artpen100
From this one, you would list it, at least for that first job or two out of college.
If you already have graduated with a bachelors and likely with an internship or coop, keeping your high school on it deserves a serious eye roll.
[quote]
But I think paying for a really good private school is value for money (at least where I live for the choices between private and public high schools)
Where is the value proposition? What are you getting in exchange for $30-40k? And that is per year, per child.
, while I certainly don't think paying $10K for a J ticket anywhere is value for money.
even a midtier J ticket is lie flat and aisle access. So yeah, it is definitely orders of mag better than even prem econ.
Being very wealthy in the US doesn’t necessarily mean that the nearest public (ie government owned/operated) schools (for pre-17/18 year olds) are excellent or otherwise the best choice to get a child their best resume possible for college/university. At least in many urban and suburban areas, it’s possible to have a high value home and still have schools that are questionable in ways that an Exeter/Andover may not be when it comes to spending money.
I don't see any advantage to a private school education, considering that the public schools in the upper middle class areas around here routinely send kids to the same colleges.

To be clear, I don't criticize the wealthy for sending their kids to private schools or flying private jet. Its just hypocritical to claim they are not spoiling them, when in fact , an elite prep school just might be the textbook definition of spoiling a child.
Spending money on education makes more sense to me than spending money to pad the fat airlines’ bottom lines, whether or not there is a forced binary choice.
That money could just as easily be spent on summer abroad, community college, private tutors, etc, instead of padding the headmasters bottom line
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by omaralt
i have no idea why you respect somebody who can easily afford to travel up front but doesn't? it tells you they are thrifty? and does thrifty = good? i'm not understanding the logic
there's this obsession with cherry-picking anomalies to prove a point - in this case, to champion a virtue about modestly.

as if people dont have different priorities.

the ikea guy owned properties across different countries. but its cooler to talk about his (purported) flying habits. like the old story about warren buffett and some pick-up truck (or whatever), even though all his traveling is done by private jet
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deniah
the ikea guy owned properties across different countries. but its cooler to talk about his (purported) flying habits. like the old story about warren buffett and some pick-up truck (or whatever), even though all his traveling is done by private jet
Are you saying warren buffet never travels by road and goes from airport to his final destination by helicopter?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder

...At least in many urban and suburban areas, it’s possible to have a high value home and still have schools that are questionable in ways that an Exeter/Andover may not be when it comes to spending money...
You must live in DC.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Fraser
The funniest example to me was about 5yrs ago when my ex-gf had a gig as a corporate pilot for a wealthy family. She flew a brand new King Air 350 (about $10m worth) for a successful local business owner (1000 employees across the Mid Atlantic/SouthEast) and sometimes I’d come along for the ride. I got to know the owner quite well and on one flight he asked my current thoughts on airlines to London as he was planning a trip (I’m a Brit). As his flight would begin in Washington I started to espouse the benefits of my many first hand experiences of BA First, included my rather disparaging thoughts on United First and then mentioned Virgin, though noting they only go as high as business class. Rather sheepishly he looked at me and asked how the airlines compared in premium economy!

It’s certainly reasonable to assume someone who normally flies private would spring for first/business class when flying commercial.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Artpen100
From this one, you would list it, at least for that first job or two out of college. But I think paying for a really good private school is value for money (at least where I live for the choices between private and public high schools), while I certainly don't think paying $10K for a J ticket anywhere is value for money.
I've literally never seen a resume that listed a high school on it, and I've interviewed/hired a lot of people over the years who were pretty recent graduates. The high school was never on our campus's standard resume format (we had a pretty regimented system) either.

If somebody put a snobby high school on a resume with a crappy college, I would just laugh. If the candidate is coming from a top university, then they would hopefully have the sense to drop the high school.

The key factors, merits, and value of the private vs. public decision for high school in the U.S. is so hyperlocal that it's hard to make a single sweeping statement for or against it on a broader scale. I live in a district with a highly-rated public high school. I live walking distance from one that is unaccredited (or maybe provisionally accredited). But that's all baked into the tax rates and home prices. If you live on one side of the line, you know this and budget for private school tuition as you're considering (lower priced) houses. Other side, you're paying more in the house and taxes for the good schools, so piling on private tuition after that is a tougher call.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
If you live on one side of the line, you know this and budget for private school tuition as you're considering (lower priced) houses. Other side, you're paying more in the house and taxes for the good schools, so piling on private tuition after that is a tougher call.
The wealthy are not going to be living on the former side, that is the point

Last edited by rufflesinc; Mar 22, 2019 at 6:48 pm
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
I've literally never seen a resume that listed a high school on it, and I've interviewed/hired a lot of people over the years who were pretty recent graduates. The high school was never on our campus's standard resume format (we had a pretty regimented system) either.
I see it occasionally. Usually kids from the DC area that have gone away to college and now have come back looking for their first job. Seeing Georgtown Day or Sidwell is not going to convince me to hire someone (note: I'm sure they are great schools).
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:46 pm
FTA

Originally Posted by zitsky
Are you referring to deep vein thrombosis?
Yes but also back pain
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see it sometimes on summer intern resumes - they don't usually put it on in the education section, but some do, especially if they're just finishing their first year of college. Especially for the first years they'll list things like AP courses and scores, but also volunteer work they did (tutor at X high school) and clubs or sports teams. It's usually gone by second or third year.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisl137
I see it sometimes on summer intern resumes - they don't usually put it on in the education section, but some do, especially if they're just finishing their first year of college. Especially for the first years they'll list things like AP courses and scores, but also volunteer work they did (tutor at X high school) and clubs or sports teams. It's usually gone by second or third year.
It's kind of sad actually, if someone went to an expensive and exclusive prep school and they didn't get into a good enough college so they still have to put the prep school on the resume.

If you're finishing your first year at Stanford or Harvard, I don't think you'd have to put that you went to Andover or Sidwell on your resume.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're finishing your first year at Stanford or Harvard, I don't think you'd have to put that you went to Andover or Sidwell on your resume.
I don't think I've gotten any from fancy prep schools (not that I'd notice...) - mostly public schools. Mostly what they want me to see is that they've got more math and science background than a standard first year. A lot of people prefer not to hire summer interns who've only had one year of college, even from top schools, so they're trying to look like they're effectively between sophomore and junior year.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: *G
Are you saying warren buffet never travels by road and goes from airport to his final destination by helicopter?
I'm saying people perpetuate anecdotes (often false ones) to reinforce whatever religion they subscribe to -- in this case how other people ought to spend their money.
You see Mary, the xxx-rich does *this*, but the REAL xxx-rich does *that*. Because anytime you hear this Ingvar/Warren story, it's spoken in that context.

Most of my shoes shoes are handmade-to-order, because I like them that way; and my socks are from fast-fashion stores (ie disposable mall brands), because I don't care.

Neither are really instructive of my general spending habits, nor informative of how someone like me ought to spend.

Back to your question, I'd venture 90% of his road miles are chauffered, so the vehicles are whatever the transport companies provide.
strickerj likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.