Wiki Posts
Search

Rich/famous people who don't fly Business/First class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Rich/famous people who don't fly Business/First class

I heard that Ingvar Kamprad, the billionaire founder of IKEA, only flies economy class. I have to say that, if this is true, I have a lot of respect for him. Do you know other rich and/or famous people who never or rarely fly upper class even on long-haul flights?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I think it was a former CEO of Japan Airlines who made a point to fly coach on the various types JAL flew, talking to passengers and getting their feedback on the product. His take was that if he couldn't fly back there, why should he expect anyone else to buy it?
BearX220, Redhead, fakecd and 16 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
I have to confess that I like the creature comforts & privileges offered in business class. So these are clearly better people than me because they can afford the most decadent comforts.
high.and.above likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:26 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's places where flying business class or first doesn't get you much, so a prudent person -- no matter how wealthy -- wouldn't normally pay for it. I'm thinking of US domestic (other than most transcons to/from NYC) and intra-Europe.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Isabel dos Santos' Instagram shows she flies on Vueling a lot.

Mind you, when BA used to operate to LAD she was regularly in F.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
There's places where flying business class or first doesn't get you much, so a prudent person -- no matter how wealthy -- wouldn't normally pay for it.
Plus, also many times a LCC (such as WN) is the best option for schedule reasons. Many people that are willing to pay extra for FC will still take an all-economy LCC when it's more convenient.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
The comedian Adam Carolla often mentions flying Southwest since he lives near BUR. That always surprised me a bit, but for short hops (LAS or PHX) it makes sense not having to slog through traffic to LAX just for first class.
rickg523 and thebakaronis like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by thebakaronis
I heard that Ingvar Kamprad, the billionaire founder of IKEA, only flies economy class.
He should have to assemble his own seat, too.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Barbara Corcoran from Shark Tank has stated in the past that she and her family fly coach when it is coming from her wallet (but admits to flying J/F when client is paying)
thebakaronis likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:44 pm

Flying in coach doesn't make you a better person. It just means that you (probably) don't have a lot of money. Sometimes (most of the time) I fly coach but a few times I'll save up my money or miles and fly business class, especially on an international flight. I'm not a frequent flyer.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by thebakaronis
I heard that Ingvar Kamprad, the billionaire founder of IKEA, only flies economy class. I have to say that, if this is true, I have a lot of respect for him. Do you know other rich and/or famous people who never or rarely fly upper class even on long-haul flights?
I don't think he flies much in any class, considering he's been dead for over a year.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Iggy Pop is rumoured to only fly economy.
polinka likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Aside from airline executives, I don't think it improves my opinion of anyone who chooses to fly economy. And the former are only differentiated in my eyes because maybe if some of them flew 17 hours in a 9-across Dreamliner or 10-across 777, maybe they'd improve pitch or remove some seats.
darthbimmer, NPF, dav662 and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:34 pm

I seem to remember President Carter flies coach. Gordon Ramsay says he won’t allow his children to fly in premium cabins stating he worked long and hard to be able to afford to fly up front and his offspring will have to earn that privilege. Personally, I hate coach.
polinka, Owenc, ginmqi and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:24 pm

Aka wealth hoarding

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.