Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why do so many people not understand the word “touch”???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)

Gah! The worst invention in modern air travel HAS to be seat back touch screens. What is it about the word “touch” that people don’t understand? I am currently sat in 31F on CX216 with someone jabbing my seat like playing chopsticks on the screen will summon cinematic nirvana. I asked them to be more gentle and they said “I’m being as gentle as I can”. No! No, you’re not! They also had the cheek to complain about how far back I’d reclined my seat. KMN.
bruceba likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I think the seat back reclining and the touch screen jabbing are probably related.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
I think the seat back reclining and the touch screen jabbing are probably related.
They are not. The reclining followed the 20 bergillionth jab on the screen as an, admittedly passive-aggressive, attempt to level the playing field. I’ll admit that this is not bringing out the best side of my character.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It's probably because many of those screens are utter crap hardware and are unresponsive to light touches. If the quality, speed, and responsiveness was simply as good as the average tablet, people probably wouldn't jab at it.
muji, Loren Pechtel and mathprof like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:51 am
Hvr

Programs: QF LTG:
Originally Posted by pinniped
It's probably because many of those screens are utter crap hardware and are unresponsive to light touches. If the quality, speed, and responsiveness was simply as good as the average tablet, people probably wouldn't jab at it.
This. I have trouble with the best touch screens including my Samsung tablet and phone. I've found that touch screens on planes can be quite hard to activate and sometimes need repeated touching.

Once I get my movie started I am quite happy to not touch it until the end.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:19 am
Suspended

Probably the same people who have to grab everyone's seat back as they walk up the aisle. Oblivious morons.
Ghentleman and j_the_p like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Back of the finger (using fingernails) usually works best for touchscreens.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1000x this. Once I decided to try one of the games in the system. I quickly realized that the passenger in front would not like the continual jabbing that entailed. It took a decent amount of pressure to register a touch, it wasn't a proper capacitive sensor that registers a touch no matter how light.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:37 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Could it be that IFE touchscreen are rather heavy duty and thus not very sensitive?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
1000x this. Once I decided to try one of the games in the system. I quickly realized that the passenger in front would not like the continual jabbing that entailed. It took a decent amount of pressure to register a touch, it wasn't a proper capacitive sensor that registers a touch no matter how light.
Originally Posted by Worcester
Could it be that IFE touchscreen are rather heavy duty and thus not very sensitive?
Most of the touchscreens that I have seen on Delta (until recently) have been of the resistive type. These are the kind that have two thin layers and register a touch where the layers are forced together. They are easy to identify when light hits them from an oblique angle - you will see a grid of dots. They also don't support multi-touch, or gestures (usually). These ones work well with the "fingernail" method described above. They are most accurate with a "point contact". Many of the older IFEs that I have seen, especially those ones with the screen about the size of a smartphone, are so far out of calibration that you can't even push some of the onscreen "buttons".

Capacitative touchscreens work by virtue of the electrical conductivity of your skin, which alters an electric field applied to the surface. These work best with a light fingertip pressure, and support things like "pinch and zoom", "drag" etc. Most of the newer IFEs - the ones that are 8" and larger, seem to be of this type.
unleashed likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Palal
Back of the finger (using fingernails) usually works best for touchscreens.
Tip of the day!
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: US Gold
I typically have endless troubles trying to get those screens to respond. I don't jab at them; I rub around the button because, as Qwikynuf says, half the time the button itself doesn't respond. If an alternative input device were available I'd use it.

wg
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:17 pm

It's not just that they don't understand the word "touch"; so many also don't understand "Do not touch".

muji likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Also because the screens aren't cleaned regularly enough, so that the low-grade touchscreens get even crappier thanks to the accumulation of oils on the screen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.