Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

World airports nearest to downtown?

Old Mar 10, 19, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Unloyal, disloyal

First of all, apologies if this is the wrong subforum.

I was wondering what global airports with passenger service are very close to the downtown of the city that they serve? For example, TLL is practically walking distance. MUB in Botswana is walking distance.

What airports could you reasonably walk to from a downtown office building, do you think? Assuming a small amount of luggage.

Just curious about this, because I imagine there are relatively few of these for very obvious reasons, but especially in the developing world a lot will have been grandfathered in before urban growth.

Note that I'm not looking for airports like LCY that have grown up around a commercial area that's not the definitive city center, but I suppose they could be interesting too.
Old Mar 10, 19, 8:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In the USA, SAN seems relatively close. Beyond that, I'd say DCA, MSP, MDW, LAX (you can at least walk to hotels, restaurants and stores--I've done it), maybe Tampa.

In Europe, NCE is good. I think it's officially only a couple miles from the center of Nice. It's also in a nice location along the sea.

For Asia, the old Hong Kong airport was very close to parts of Kowloon. The old Taipei airport was also pretty close. Otherwise, SIN, HND, the domestic Osaka airport, and Gimpo.

AEP (domestic airport) for Buenos Aires. Similarly, So Paulo has a domestic airport.

Cairns.

For me, the more important question is whether the airport has quick, frequent, and cheap public transportation to where I'm going in the city (without subway transfers, taxis, etc.) that works with luggage and ideally isn't subject to traffic delays.
Old Mar 10, 19, 8:54 pm

SDU, in Rio. I've walked there to catch my flight on more than one occasion.
Old Mar 10, 19, 9:02 pm

Programs: HH Gold,
Billy Bishop in Toronto. I think you actually have to walk in the tunnel, right?
Old Mar 10, 19, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
We were about 1.5 miles from our hotel at the end of the runway in Cusco.

London and Toronto have smaller airports right on the edge of town.

It's been closed in favor of a new airport out in the hinterlands, but you used to land smack dab in the middle of downtown Quito.

Icydubloon likes this.
Old Mar 10, 19, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
In the USA, SAN seems relatively close. Beyond that, I'd say DCA, MSP, MDW, LAX (you can at least walk to hotels, restaurants and stores--I've done it) ...
I regularly walk from LAX to nearby hotels and rental car lots, and the trek to In-&-Out Burger in Westchester is legion, but LAX in no way qualifies as “very close to downtown” as OP inquired

downtown Washington DC to DCA is a manageable walk, but I probably wouldn’t try it with a standard-size rollaboard

Last edited by jrl767; Mar 11, 19 at 12:33 am Reason: add quote for context of reply
Old Mar 10, 19, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
BOS seems pretty close, even though it's across the water. I've actually stayed at the Hilton at the airport when in town for work and it was fairly handy

FUK is pretty close to central Fukuoka
Old Mar 10, 19, 10:21 pm

Programs: AS DL
Vancouver International (YVR) is close to downtown Richmond and not far (but not close) to downtown Vancouver.

Omaha Eppley Field (OMA) is close to Omaha, maybe 2-4 miles. Billy Bishop Toronto Island is close to Toronto. Downtown Las Vegas is not close to the airport but the Strip is very close to the airport.

Gibraltar (GIB) is walking distance to the town. Tegel Airport (TXL) is in a built up area but not that far from the center of Berlin.
Old Mar 10, 19, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
For me, the more important question is whether the airport has quick, frequent, and cheap public transportation to where I'm going in the city
Among large EU airports FRA is a quick and convenient train ride to the city center, compared to LHR, CDG, MUC, MXP.
Old Mar 11, 19, 7:05 am

Programs: AA PLT, FB Gold, DL Gold
BOS is reasonably close. BSB also, if you live in the south habitation sector (SHIS) it's reasonable to walk, although the paths are a little rural, but that can be said for most of Brasilia.
Old Mar 11, 19, 7:15 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by yno View Post
[removed]
I think [removed reference to deleted post] that you are correct. LCY fits the criteria (to the extend that any airport does). London is a geographically large city and LCY is very close to the centre of it. I'm not sure what "downtown" is meant to mean in this context, as London has several centres of commerce (ones that spring to mind immediately are Soho, the City and Canary Wharf. LCY is about a mile from Canary Wharf and right beside ExCel which is now London's major exhibition complex.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Mar 11, 19 at 9:23 am Reason: Removed reference and deleted quote only
Old Mar 11, 19, 7:16 am

Programs: QF WP
I mean it kind of depends what you define as walking distance.

Google maps shows TLL-old town as 56 minutes

CNS-arbitrary point in cairns city (cairns base hospital- its probably the northernmost point of the city proper and is on the esplanade) as 1 hour and 6 minutes.
ADL- Rundle mall is 1 hour 30 minutes.
CBR- Parliament House is also 1 hour 30 minutes.

I wouldnt fancy walking any of these in January!

BNE/PER/SYD/DRW/AKL etc all come out in the 2-4 hours range which I think well agree is not walkable
Old Mar 11, 19, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
Chiang Mai
Old Mar 11, 19, 7:44 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by bitterproffit View Post
Billy Bishop in Toronto. I think you actually have to walk in the tunnel, right?
Last time I was there ( about a year ago), there was still the option of taking the ferry. In either case, its a quick shuttle or taxi ride to the commercial/entertainment districts.
Old Mar 11, 19, 7:48 am

Programs: American, Spirit, Air Niugini
Wamena Indonesia? Not large city though.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: