World airports nearest to downtown?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

World airports nearest to downtown?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Heathrow to Central London? That would be a rather scenic aft3ernoon stroll...
According to Google Maps, that's about 3hrs 44min - with a backpack, that's entirely possible in an easy afternoon stroll
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
BMA in Stockholm. But it depends on where and how long you care to walk/bike to/from the airport.

For DCA, I have biked by it many times from DC and walked to it a few times.

IXJ has no international flights, but it's a walkable airport in India.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 20, 2019 at 7:57 am
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:06 pm
glg

Originally Posted by pinniped
Midway to downtown would be a pretty long walk and not a route I would recommend for people who don't know what they're doing. I'm not even sure if Chicagoans who *do* know what they're doing would run/walk this. O'Hare, maybe, if you're looking to knock out a long run and had local advice on how to map it.
Midway is a lot closer than O'Hare (10 miles vs 18). It's pretty easily accessible because it's on a city street that has normal sidewalks.

O'Hare is trickier. You can't walk to the main complex, only accessible via 190. You could definitely get to long term parking and get the free bus from there. I think you used to be able to walk to T5, but some of the route is now torn up.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by sethweinstein
Also LAS to the Strip,
This! I think LAS wins hands down if you look at the term "downtown" in a practical way
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by rufflesinc; Mar 22, 2019 at 7:27 am
Old Mar 22, 2019, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Unloyal, disloyal
Originally Posted by kochleffel
I've done it, not 100% intentionally. I was connecting from Icelandair at KEF to Atlantic Airways at RKV (for a flight to FAE) and missed the connection. It was a Friday and the next flight wasn't until Monday. I booked a room at the Reykjavik Natura hotel, which is directly across the field from the tiny RKV terminal but a significantly longer walk around the perimeter of the airfield, and walked several times between the hotel and downtown Reykjavik. My return flight had a long layover and I put my luggage in a locker at the bus station (very close to the RKV terminal) and later took a bus to KEF from there. The hotel used to be called the Hotel Loftleidir and is attached to the Icelandair HQ building.

My room overlooked the airfield but I never heard any aircraft, only saw them coming and going. Those I saw included a couple of Dassault Falcon 50 trijets.
Nice! But the burning question - did you walk from FAE to bustling downtown Sørvágur?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by on-a-stick
Nice! But the burning question - did you walk from FAE to bustling downtown Sørvágur?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.