Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

World airports nearest to downtown?

World airports nearest to downtown?

Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:46 pm

Location: Los Altos, CA -- UA 1P / Priority Club Platinum Ambassador / Hyatt GP Platinum / Avis Presidents Club
SJC, as has been mentioned, is about 3 miles from baggage claim to the heart of downtown (https://goo.gl/maps/5UpzXo8eHqv), of which nearly 1/2 the total distance is just getting off airport property. The beauty of it is that there's a bicycle/pedestrian trail along the Guadalupe River which takes you the full way from the airport to downtown.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by dfw88
Not a major city, but I've walked from OGG to downtown Kahului before. Took about 30 minutes.
I've also walked from SJC to downtown San Jose. There's a nice park that connects the two.
Along those lines, Hilo (ITO) also is very close. 2 miles or less to the main strip, such as it is.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:56 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by libertyuk
WLG, 6km drive (15 minutes without traffic), 1hr 20 to walk because it isn't flat
It's flat if you take the Mt Victoria road tunnel. There is also the option of taking pedestrian tunnel under the runway to save a few minutes compared with going around the end of the runway.
libertyuk likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:58 am

Queenstown New Zealand

It’s a 5 minute walk from here to Lake Wakatipu and the best AirBnB ever, run by Steve Gurney who is a NINE time winner of the Kathmandu Coast to Coast Race and the most awesome host ever.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:29 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
It's flat if you take the Mt Victoria road tunnel. There is also the option of taking pedestrian tunnel under the runway to save a few minutes compared with going around the end of the runway.
Flat for Wellington in any case better than Constable St

PMR is closer to the centre of Palmerston North than WLG to Wellington, about 1hr walk, but is a city of 88k rather than a metro area of 410k.

Further afield, GVA is a steady 1hr walk down to Cornavin

Last edited by libertyuk; Mar 13, 2019 at 5:37 am
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
REP is about 6 miles to the 'center' of Siem Reap
MEX is 6-ish miles to the main (old) business area - vs. Santa Fe - long, but doable walk
and of course, IPC is 3 miles to the edge of town

A shout-out to SOF - definitely walkable at 5 miles. Also, can be v pleasant on a summer night as I've done the reverse (well, almost - clubs to near-airport) on several occasions :shrugs:
Old Mar 13, 2019, 8:00 am

RAK is walkable.

And I've walked to/from LGA when dropping in for Mets games or tennis, but that's admittedly not downtown.

Originally Posted by Betterthanyou
Usually those walking to the airport from the Strip with bags in tow are the ones who are now so broke they cannot afford the cab fare. Vegas got the better of them. It may appear close, but it's several miles.
One time I was killing time at the Pinball Hall of Fame and then did not see a free cab until I was literally across the street from the entrance at LAS. It was a little weird walking along the side of the road, but I got there in one piece.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Italy has a bunch of airports within a 10mn drive of the centre, usually the secondary one:
CIA, LIN, TOR, FLR

Otherwise HND, already located within the urban area and just 10-15mns metro to shinagawa. (One of the multiple "Downtowns" in tyo)
The TOR you mentioned is TRN

U
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
IEV - the older/smaller airport at Zhuliany is still used for flights abroad and it's pretty close to downtown Kiev by the standards used in this thread.

As for ones already mentioned, I think LCY has most of the characteristics of a real urban airport, taken the routes offered etc. DCA is quite close, but it's just domestic, unlike LCY with connections to elsewhere in Europe (not mentioning the bleeding obvious lil' G-EUNA and its endeavors, because it's outside the scope of my point).
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:57 am

I've walked from midtown Manhattan to LGA in about 105 minutes, but it was before the recent construction (well before; it was a NW flight). Also LAS to the Strip, during which I found a guy's passport in the roadway and achieved purpose for the day by figuring out how to return it to him.

I walked to the old Dakar airport after a long day of sightseeing around the coast and it was quite pleasant.

Based on the length of time it took me to find my hired driver at BEY, I wish I'd walked it instead; it's certainly not much more than an hour.

It's a 14-minute walk from BOS to my brother's new bar near Maverick Square, which will make me very happy on future visits! That harbor is a hindrance to further progress, though.

Shame on airports that don't allow access on foot.

Seth
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by sethweinstein
Shame on airports that don't allow access on foot.
I'm genuinely unaware of any airports that are accessible on foot! Would you just walk on the side of the highway exits / cars looping into the terminal?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by davie355
I'm genuinely unaware of any airports that are accessible on foot! Would you just walk on the side of the highway exits / cars looping into the terminal?
I've walked into SNA before (on sidewalks!) - which is also a good candidate for close to "downtown."
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
Many airports have access points that aren't highway exits. LGA, for instance, can be reached from 94th Street, which is a relatively narrow neighborhood street until it crosses the Grand Central Parkway immediately before the airport. You can walk out of BOS without touching a highway. And those are fairly large airports.

Even if the approach is via a highway, I'm happy to walk along it either for convenience or out of defiance, unless it's expressly prohibited. It's those "expressly prohibited" routes that draw my ire, particularly as sometimes there is no public transportation and therefore one must submit to a taxi cartel. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that walking to an airport in India wasn't allowed, but I can't find the article or recall whether it was one specific airport or all of them.

Seth
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've run to/from the rental car facility at LAS a few times. Distance-wise the terminal would be a piece of cake but I don't know the best pedestrian access and have never felt the need to run on the busy highway in and out of there.

I've run down to YTZ from downtown hotels before. That has the added bonus of actually being a really nice area to go for a run or walk. Same with SAN - when I stay downtown I like to run out that direction.

One of these days, I'll do LGA to midtown Manhattan but I'd have to have a pretty light backpack.

Midway to downtown would be a pretty long walk and not a route I would recommend for people who don't know what they're doing. I'm not even sure if Chicagoans who *do* know what they're doing would run/walk this. O'Hare, maybe, if you're looking to knock out a long run and had local advice on how to map it.
mmff likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
SEA is actually pretty well blended into the city grid/sidewalks and pedestrian access - and not super far form the downtowns of SeaTac and Burien Downtown Seattle is a diff story heh
FlyerEC likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.