Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

World airports nearest to downtown?

World airports nearest to downtown?

Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Lifetime Gold/Some Years Platinum
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Ah, yes. Who could forget the mash-up of nondescript buildings and empty blocks of grass around the Mall of America. I suppose one could walk there if they are flying out of Terminal 2?
Yes, although the scenery leaves a LOT to be desired, as MarkOK notes.

Step 1 - Exit T2 and cross the road to Fort Snelling National Cemetery.
Step 2 - Walk through cemetery (the only decent part of the walk) to its southern boundary with I-494, then cross the interstate via underpass.
Step 3 - Continue south to American Blvd., then walk west until you reach MOA.

Or you could just do the 3-5 minute light-rail ride, using the same tracks you are walking along for most of your journey.

(Source: I like to walk.)

on-a-stick likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Red face

Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust
I often see people walking to/from LAS; but it is a terrible set-up for pedestrians.

Moreover, I would not consider LAS to be walk-able from the strip or, especially, from downtown Las Vegas.
STS. Walk to wine.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Unloyal, disloyal
Originally Posted by Repooc17
LGA is not too bad of a walk, even with the ongoing constructions and all.
I walked it most of the way recently from the financial district and, not being from New York, I found it very tough to navigate (my phone was low battery so I didn't want to have real-time GPS mapping running.) In raw distance, yeah, it's not awful, but it's also not exactly a pleasant stroll. Eventually I gave up and found a bus stop a couple of miles from the airport.

They could make some kind of 'tourist trail' where you walk from the airport to Central Park or something, and signpost it accordingly, but if we're realistic that's not a huge attraction for most people and LGA is not a particularly walkable airport.

Someone mentioned RKV earlier: yes, it's eminently walkable, comically so, but few if any FT readers are likely to arrive there, and only slightly fewer likely to depart from there. You could walk from KEF to Keflavik or the suburbs next to it, but realistically if you're flying into Iceland from a different country, your business is not in Keflavik.

Last edited by on-a-stick; Mar 11, 2019 at 9:23 pm
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I've done GVA: Apple maps says 55mins from the central railway station. I once did WLG in my younger days, though that's an hour and a half. TLL (to the Hilton) seemed like much less than 55 minutes.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by OskiBear
BOS seems pretty close, even though it's across the water.
The water kind of distracts from how close it really is -- from the control tower to the Old State House (in roughly the center of the financial district) is 3 miles. And you can easily watch what's happening on the cargo apron from the Seaport piers.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:24 am

It seems easier to get from either terminal at SAN to downtown than it does to get from one gate to another at SAN, especially if you have a tight AS connection from T2 to T1. And, if I recall, there were some real contortions you had to go through to get from one WN gate to another in T1 SAN.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
WLG, 6km drive (15 minutes without traffic), 1hr 20 to walk because it isn't flat
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
Denver's Stapleton was much more handy than the new airport located in Nebraska.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Exec
Tunis isn't too bad - if Carthage still existed that would be really convenient!
Lisbon about a 90 minute walk from downtown
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: AF, A3
From my own experience these airports are definitely worth mentioning:
DAD - Da Nang International Airport
CTU - Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport
SGN - Tan Son Nhat International Airport
Although the last two might not be really close to downtown the city has clearly developed around them - imagine having a bedroom window to runway 02L....
The old Hong Kong Kai Tak International Airport that closed in 1998 would probably have been first on the list if it had still been in operation.
Landing here was truly an experience - watching all the laundry hanging from balconies at the end of the wing tip.....

Last edited by skirkby; Mar 12, 2019 at 8:15 am
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:40 am

DUS was fairly close if you were walking, for example, to an exhibition at the Messe. Not necessarily downtown, but certainly walkable to urban areas with plenty of hotels and restaurants.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: Continental Platinum for life => United Premier 1K
ACI

Alderney (Channel Islands) - an easy walk into town!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: AA PLT, *A Gold, Club Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Redheadpeter
Tunis isn't too bad - if Carthage still existed that would be really convenient!
Lisbon about a 90 minute walk from downtown
Yes Redheadpeter,

LIS gets my vote, I actually walked downtown several times, from the airport, and walked home (at the time in the neighborhood nearby) countless times
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
TVC

TVC airport also called Cherry Capital in Traverse City, MI. Although is a small city, it is right in town and a couple miles from downtown.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Billy Bishop in Toronto. I think you actually have to walk in the tunnel, right?
Hardly a "world" airport tho. Some civil and a smattering of prop regional.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.