Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

World airports nearest to downtown?

World airports nearest to downtown?

Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
SOF is about 5 miles from downtown Sofia. I think about 15 minutes on the Metro.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:40 pm

In the US, I have walked to downtown from SAN and I have walked to ABQ from the University area (not really downtown, but probably close enough for these purposes). So those two are not theoretical.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:04 pm

Pisa, Reykjavik City and Bodř are all walking distance and I've walked to or from 2 of them. Also Gibraltar, but that has already been mentioned.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by nancypants
I mean it kind of depends what you define as walking distance.

Google maps shows TLL-old town as 56 minutes

CNS-arbitrary point in cairns city (cairns base hospital- it’s probably the northernmost point of the city proper and is on the esplanade) as 1 hour and 6 minutes.
ADL- Rundle mall is 1 hour 30 minutes.
CBR- Parliament House is also 1 hour 30 minutes.

I wouldn’t fancy walking any of these in January!
Agreed - unbearably hot
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
LGA is not too bad of a walk, even with the ongoing constructions and all.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
GUA is pretty close, depending on one's definition of "downtown."
yeah - 5 minute uber to the central area near the camino real (depending on traffic of course)
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Repooc17
LGA is not too bad of a walk, even with the ongoing constructions and all.
To which "downtown"? I can't find any route to any bit of land in Manhattan that's less than 5.5 miles and nearly 2 hours. Is there a "downtown" Queens? Even the Steinway factory is 2.5 miles
DManzaluni likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MarkOK
In the US, I will echo what is said above about DCA maybe being the closest to a 'downtown'. It's a bit of a walk to the National Mall (~ a few miles), but that is definitely doable in my book. I have myself walked from DCA to a hotel in the vicinity of G/H streets north of the mall, and when the weather is nice, it is a fairly pleasant walk after being crammed into an economy seat for a few hours.

As for the MSP suggestion above -- I disagree on two fronts. Though it is near downtown Minneapolis, there is still 10 miles of distance there. Also, I am not sure how doable it is for one to walk from Terminal 1 to anywhere.
You're forgetting Bloomington!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You're forgetting Bloomington!
Ah, yes. Who could forget the mash-up of nondescript buildings and empty blocks of grass around the Mall of America. I suppose one could walk there if they are flying out of Terminal 2?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
To which "downtown"? I can't find any route to any bit of land in Manhattan that's less than 5.5 miles and nearly 2 hours. Is there a "downtown" Queens? Even the Steinway factory is 2.5 miles
You can get to Manhattan via Queensboro Bridge. There are bike/walk path for pedestrians.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:50 pm

All the Bay Area airports are nicely located.

SJC is the closest to its downtown and is a bona fide "world airport" with nonstops to Japan and China.

OAK isn't very worldly, but a stone's throw to Oakland.

SFO could be closer to San Francisco's business districts, but even in rush hour, a respectable commute.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
HFA airport, although neither big nor overtly used.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Italy has a bunch of airports within a 10mn drive of the centre, usually the secondary one:
CIA, LIN, TOR, FLR

Otherwise HND, already located within the urban area and just 10-15mns metro to shinagawa. (One of the multiple "Downtowns" in tyo)
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
I often see people walking to/from LAS; but it is a terrible set-up for pedestrians.

Moreover, I would not consider LAS to be walk-able from the strip or, especially, from downtown Las Vegas.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:41 pm

I didn't walk it the only time I've been there, but Kunming, KMG, seemed pretty close to the centre of town.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.