World airports nearest to downtown?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:30 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
NCE, BBU, walkable distance to downtown
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I'm kind of surprised that TPA is 8 miles fro downtown Tampa proper because it seems closer. But than that whole area is so spread out because of the bay and other waterways
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: Air Canada 50K - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Platinum
i would say YTZ and LCY are both very close.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
GUA is pretty close, depending on one's definition of "downtown."
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
Several of the US airports mentioned so far are pretty close, but I don't think any of them are walking distance to downtown. SAN might be one of the closest. I've returned my rental car their before the night before my flight and walked back to my hotel which was about halfway between the airport and downtown. Not a bad walk, but not practical with luggage. BOS has that pesky harbor in the way. I've never tried but I can only imagine swimming with a 20" carry-on to be really difficult. Fortunately, they make it really easy for you to get downtown with the free Silver Line service to South Station.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
In the US, I will echo what is said above about DCA maybe being the closest to a 'downtown'. It's a bit of a walk to the National Mall (~ a few miles), but that is definitely doable in my book. I have myself walked from DCA to a hotel in the vicinity of G/H streets north of the mall, and when the weather is nice, it is a fairly pleasant walk after being crammed into an economy seat for a few hours.

As for the MSP suggestion above -- I disagree on two fronts. Though it is near downtown Minneapolis, there is still 10 miles of distance there. Also, I am not sure how doable it is for one to walk from Terminal 1 to anywhere.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Quito’s airport used to be right in the city, before they moved it in 2013. BDO (Bandung) is still pretty much smack dab in the city.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:36 am

Eilat airport (ETH) - literally walking (but probably would be closing soon due to new one being built)
and few larger airports within 10mins to centre by public transport - Geneva (7mins), Zurich (10mins), Copenhagen (14mins), Vienna (15mins), Okinawa - Naha
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Unloyal, disloyal
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For me, the more important question is whether the airport has quick, frequent, and cheap public transportation to where I'm going in the city (without subway transfers, taxis, etc.) that works with luggage and ideally isn't subject to traffic delays.

Oh, absolutely, 99% of the time that matters far more.This is just my idle curiosity, also the fact that I quite often walk to the airport here as I live so close to it.
As the crow flies, LGA is very close to Manhattan, but it's an awful airport to get to.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
PHX is very close. Great plane-spotting from down town hotels.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:11 am

Not a major city, but I've walked from OGG to downtown Kahului before. Took about 30 minutes.
I've also walked from SJC to downtown San Jose. There's a nice park that connects the two.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
FLL would be walkable to/from downtown if there were sidewalks (and if it wasn't so damned hot outside).

ITM's terminal is extremely close to residential/commercial areas -- perhaps 10 minutes' walk -- although not within walking distance of the Osaka city center.

I think TSA is within walking distance of central Taipei though I've never tried that walk.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Sde Dov (SDV) in Tel Aviv and LAS (Las Vegas) both walkable.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In the USA, SAN seems relatively close. Beyond that, I'd say DCA, MSP, MDW, LAX (you can at least walk to hotels, restaurants and stores--I've done it), maybe Tampa.

In Europe, NCE is good. I think it's officially only a couple miles from the center of Nice. It's also in a nice location along the sea.

For Asia, the old Hong Kong airport was very close to parts of Kowloon. The old Taipei airport was also pretty close. Otherwise, SIN, HND, the domestic Osaka airport, and Gimpo.

AEP (domestic airport) for Buenos Aires. Similarly, São Paulo has a domestic airport.

Cairns.

For me, the more important question is whether the airport has quick, frequent, and cheap public transportation to where I'm going in the city (without subway transfers, taxis, etc.) that works with luggage and ideally isn't subject to traffic delays.
Neither MDW or MSP are anywhere near downtown.

Toronto City airport get's my vote - not only very walkable but an easy exit/entry - just around the corner from a major walkable street. I've even walked there from UT.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage Lifetime Gold/Some Years Platinum
Originally Posted by MarkOK

As for the MSP suggestion above -- I disagree on two fronts. Though it is near downtown Minneapolis, there is still 10 miles of distance there. Also, I am not sure how doable it is for one to walk from Terminal 1 to anywhere.

Exactly this. While in town last fall, with only a backpack for luggage, I had the intention to do a nice, long workout by walking along the Mississippi to Minnehaha Park, then to the airport. What I ran into was that all access points to Terminal 1 are no-pedestrian roads. Getting into the building would have required either 1) jumping a concrete barrier and crossing 4-6 lanes of fast-moving oncoming traffic to reach the parking ramps, or 2) walking along the shoulder of a restricted-access highway for at least a couple of miles. Either way, I was more likely to end up in the Sen. Craig Memorial Pokey than at my gate.

The next best thing would be to walk to one of the light-rail stops just before MSP, then ride in the rest of the way. But actually getting to T1/Lindbergh on foot is a no-go.
nancypants and MarkOK like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.