Community
Wiki Posts
Search

World airports nearest to downtown?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dr_wanderlust
I often see people walking to/from LAS; but it is a terrible set-up for pedestrians.

Moreover, I would not consider LAS to be walk-able from the strip or, especially, from downtown Las Vegas.
Agreed, it is way farther than it looks at LAS.

Usually those walking to the airport from the Strip with bags in tow are the ones who are now so broke they cannot afford the cab fare. Vegas got the better of them. It may appear close, but it's several miles.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Betterthanyou
Hardly a "world" airport tho. Some civil and a smattering of prop regional.
International flights to IAD, EWR, ORD, BOS, MYR, and MLB.

And direct flights to 16 cities in Canada.

It ain't Pearson, but it qualifies for me, because I can catch a flight at Dulles and end up walking to a ball game in the Rogers Centre and be there two hours later.

Agreed it would be better had Trudeau and the NIMBY's not vetoed Porter's request to use the Airbus 220 and have real jet service, which would allow more markets at greater distance.
HOBtrvlr likes this.

Last edited by HomerJay; Mar 12, 2019 at 1:14 pm
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Lifetime Platinum Elite, AA Gold, Delta MM Silver
Nominating CLT

I am nominating my hometown airport Charlotte Douglas Airport, which is 17 minutes from Uptown (we do not have a downtown!). https://goo.gl/maps/baZyQrGnTJA2

Even with traffic, the trip can be done under 30 minutes point to point. And for those who do not know CLT: American hub, 6th largest airport in the US as calculated by number of aircraft movements, 7th by the same measure globally.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: UA Platinum, *G, HH Gold, Amtrak Select Plus, Hertz President's Circle
I'll throw in LIH (Lihue, Kauai) - the local lawyers apparently joke about 'big city' Honolulu attorneys coming over for the first time and renting cars or getting taxis to go to the courthouse, when it's essentially directly next to the terminal.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
AUS is 9 miles/3hours walking to our old condo downtown. $1.50 I think one way on the 100 bus which we have done multiple times.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: QANTAS, Oneworld
Kingsford Smith airport (SYD) in Sydney is 8km from the Sydney CBD, if you chose to walk it. Slightly longer, but much quicker by road or rail.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
I’ve definitely walked to TSA (Taipei Songshan) before!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: Flying Blue LTPE, skywards Silver, miles & more, fidelidade TAM, Accor silver, IHG gold
My list

Milano Linate, Săo Paulo Congonhas, Buenos Aires Aeroparque are all city Airports
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Silver, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
NAP - Napoli or Naples is about 2km from the city centre and train station, takes a few minutes on the bus and is tightly packed in between houses. Amazing.
LIN - Milano Linate is about 7Km from the train station (Milano Centrale). They manage to turn it into a 40 minute bus trip. I walked it once but it was suicidal - the roads around the airport don't have sidewalks so I was forced to walk along a motorway and cross over a few exits. Never again.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Perth Airport is 18 km from the CBD or about 20 min in a car.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:28 pm

Good

Bodř, Norway (BOO) is a good candidate. It is an easy and pleasant walk of 15 minutes from the terminal building to the largest hotel downtown.
The city itself is not that large, but extends more than 10 km edge to edge. The city also has a very good airplane museum.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HomerJay
International flights to IAD, EWR, ORD, BOS, MYR, and MLB.

And direct flights to 16 cities in Canada.

It ain't Pearson, but it qualifies for me, because I can catch a flight at Dulles and end up walking to a ball game in the Rogers Centre and be there two hours later.

Agreed it would be better had Trudeau and the NIMBY's not vetoed Porter's request to use the Airbus 220 and have real jet service, which would allow more markets at greater distance.
It's practically on the border.. But I think going to ONLY one other country still doesn't make it "world". That's a stretch stretchier than Stretch Armstrong.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
ADL

6km from CBD - 15 mins by car, 50-60min walk (depending on your pace).
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA GLD,DL,UA
KBL is less than 2 miles from the American Embassy, and only another mile to what could be called "downtown" Kabul. I would not recommend walking there under any circumstances.

The incoming flights are quite interesting. With mountains surrounding the city, some do a corkscrew descent / ascent..
GUWonder and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by on-a-stick
Someone mentioned RKV earlier: yes, it's eminently walkable, comically so, but few if any FT readers are likely to arrive there, and only slightly fewer likely to depart from there. .
I've done it, not 100% intentionally. I was connecting from Icelandair at KEF to Atlantic Airways at RKV (for a flight to FAE) and missed the connection. It was a Friday and the next flight wasn't until Monday. I booked a room at the Reykjavik Natura hotel, which is directly across the field from the tiny RKV terminal but a significantly longer walk around the perimeter of the airfield, and walked several times between the hotel and downtown Reykjavik. My return flight had a long layover and I put my luggage in a locker at the bus station (very close to the RKV terminal) and later took a bus to KEF from there. The hotel used to be called the Hotel Loftleidir and is attached to the Icelandair HQ building.

My room overlooked the airfield but I never heard any aircraft, only saw them coming and going. Those I saw included a couple of Dassault Falcon 50 trijets.
on-a-stick likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.