Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:49 pm

737-Max 8 safety concerns

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by osamede
Catastrophes at a giant company are about a breakdown in culture, starting with ownership, then cascading down to several layers of leadership.

Solution here is probably a bottom-up cleanout.

It's quite serious. At the moment Boeing has achieved the incredible feat of getting the must lucrative passengers to actually be concerned about what plane they are flying on,
https://www.ft.com/content/0cc0daf0-...1-51bf8f989972
"Business travellers express nerves over return of 737 Max"

So it's going to be an uphill battle if Boeing think's it can simply declare "problem fixed"
A few hundred people deal and there's been all of 0 people asking for the CEO to take responsibility and resign.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by ou81two
A few hundred people deal and there's been all of 0 people asking for the CEO to take responsibility and resign.
As a Shareholder I am asking
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by edgewood49
As a Shareholder I am asking
I applaud you for it.
84fiero likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by ou81two
I applaud you for it.
Somebody has to be held responsible for what happened not just corporately and law suits but professionally as well. Those who are truly responsible know who they are and frankly they need to be exposed and fired. Of course it will open them up to civil suits but I could care less. These idiots have ruined one of the best branded reputation in the world of business. Frankly I think this all started with the tanker deal which is still open to debate. As an American and ex USAF I am embarrassed.
84fiero and Amun_ra like this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:21 am

Boeing is now being sued by some pilots over this 737 Max.

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/11238282
84fiero likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 6:55 am

Here is where I am having a problem if this is a software issue why is it taking so long to get these birds back in the air? Is it "politics" as some are saying in the press or is there something else we don't know yet? One thing is for certain that is Boeings creditability and that is shot.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:14 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Here is where I am having a problem if this is a software issue why is it taking so long to get these birds back in the air? Is it "politics" as some are saying in the press or is there something else we don't know yet? One thing is for certain that is Boeings creditability and that is shot.
In a flight-simulator test earlier this month, The Wall Street Journal’s Scott McCartney and pilot Roddy Guthrie, fleet captain for the 737 at American Airlines, experienced troubles in turning the wheel. As described in a June 5 article, Capt. Guthrie couldn’t move the wheel until Mr. McCartney pitched the plane’s nose down, easing some of the pressure on the wheel.
This is more or less what happened in the Ethiopian crash. Even with MCAS disabled, the pilots couldn't control the trim. This is much more that a software fix...
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
The software was not the original problem. i
It was the "solution".

You have an unbalanced airframe that is not allowed to fly without corrective software.

The corrective sofware was poorly designed and tries to fly the plane into the ground when a single mechanical failure occurs.

If switched off you become unable to fly the plane manually because it requires too much force. If you want to enable the electric force again, the murder impulse comes back online.

Only way to both keep power and not lose control is to extend flaps. Which at high speeds is dangerous.

I wholeheartedly disagree with who said this machine was not a deathtrap.

This is a lot bigger than a software problem. Removing the software is not possible. The plane is required to have it. Finding a solution that doesn't trigger an inexorable loop of death will take a lot of time, thorough test flights, and tests under various failure conditions.

Something I have no doubt Boeing are working very hard on right now. Something they needed to do before the plane went into service...
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The plane CAN fly with software modifications.

MCAS would have to be put back into its original use case - extreme edge-scenario with dual-sensor input. Then it would have to be set up to alert the pilot that MCAS has activated.

More importantly - pilots have to be TRAINED on how the 737 Max handles differently than previous models. There needs to be a brand new certification requirement specific to this model. The training will cost airlines millions and it'd take far longer to rotate pilots through training (after Boeing builds the simulators) than it'd take to roll out a software patch.

At this point, I think that's the only way that the 737 Max (or whatever it's rebranded to) gets to fly again. It'll be considered a new model, new certifications, and mandatory training so pilots know how to handle the different feel/characteristics.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Plato90s
MCAS would have to be put back into its original use case - extreme edge-scenario with dual-sensor input. Then it would have to be set up to alert the pilot that MCAS has activated.
It probably needs both dual sensor AOA input and some limits on how much it's allowed to do based on the speed of the aircraft. All of that will take a ton of both simulator and real-world testing.

(ETA: building the simulators is probably not an issue - as far as I can tell it's the same inside the cockpit as the NG, but the simulators have to have software mods to match the aircraft behavior, which should take as much testing as they're doing in the real aircraft to make sure the behaviors match)
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
The software was not the original problem. i
It was the "solution".

You have an unbalanced airframe that is not allowed to fly without corrective software.

The corrective sofware was poorly designed and tries to fly the plane into the ground when a single mechanical failure occurs.

If switched off you become unable to fly the plane manually because it requires too much force. If you want to enable the electric force again, the murder impulse comes back online.

Only way to both keep power and not lose control is to extend flaps. Which at high speeds is dangerous.

I wholeheartedly disagree with who said this machine was not a deathtrap.

This is a lot bigger than a software problem. Removing the software is not possible. The plane is required to have it. Finding a solution that doesn't trigger an inexorable loop of death will take a lot of time, thorough test flights, and tests under various failure conditions.

Something I have no doubt Boeing are working very hard on right now. Something they needed to do before the plane went into service...
This has triggered memories of the F111A when she first came into the inventory we lost a few for flight stability control systems

ah for the old days of cables and pulley's !! Just kidding.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by chrisl137
... the simulators have to have software mods to match the aircraft behavior, which should take as much testing as they're doing in the real aircraft to make sure the behaviors match)
yep, a lot of developmental (non-certification) flight tests are for the express purpose of gathering data for the simulators
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jrl767

yep, a lot of developmental (non-certification) flight tests are for the express purpose of gathering data for the simulators
Which comes back to the assumptions that the simulator software developers could envision all possible scenarios WITHOUT real-life tests.

Bad assumption.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Plato90s
Which comes back to the assumptions that the simulator software developers could envision all possible scenarios WITHOUT real-life tests.

Bad assumption.
YOUR assumption, maybe ...

Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by jrl767

YOUR assumption, maybe ...

I think your both correct simulators today have programs with hundreds of thousands of data points from years gone by having said that just when you think you know it a 2X4 hits you upside the head. One goes through phases of simulator training to
deer in the headlight" then later on "oh no already ?" to "let me see how this feels". singular opinion. Am still wondering what the $%#%$@# is going on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.