Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:49 pm

737-Max 8 safety concerns

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by 84fiero
https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...oeing-737-max/

Also, I saw this morning that AA extended their MAX cancelations through 03 Sep.

I just saw that as well. wonder if the "bookies" are taking bets on whether the Max will see service again? Certainly I would assume orders will drop. Am hoping AS does not go through with the Max. It's a flawed bird just like it's designers
84fiero likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by edgewood49
I just saw that as well. wonder if the "bookies" are taking bets on whether the Max will see service again? Certainly I would assume orders will drop. Am hoping AS does not go through with the Max. It's a flawed bird just like it's designers
At least one FAA official is now saying December for a MAX return.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/boei...fficial-2019-6
The US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) indicated Wednesday that Boeing's 737 Max planes, which have been grounded around the world since March, could be out of action for even longer than expected.Ali Bahrami, the FAA's associate administrator for aviation safety, said at a speech in Cologne, Germany, that the plane will likely be airborne again by December.

He was speaking at at a safety conference held by the FAA and Europe's EASA regulator.He said that the FAA is under a lot "lot of pressure" and that the plane will return to the skies "when we believe it is safe," Bloomberg reported.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
At least one FAA official is now saying December for a MAX return.

So reading between the lines he is contradicting Boeing's statement that the plane is fixed and ready to fly, yes ? Maybe. Boeing has handled this miserable and can not seem to drag themselves up to ground level. I still say there needs to be a swift change in management beginning with the President bring Mulvany (sp) back for the interim he has creditability.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:16 am

Catastrophes at a giant company are about a breakdown in culture, starting with ownership, then cascading down to several layers of leadership.

Solution here is probably a bottom-up cleanout.

It's quite serious. At the moment Boeing has achieved the incredible feat of getting the must lucrative passengers to actually be concerned about what plane they are flying on,
https://www.ft.com/content/0cc0daf0-...1-51bf8f989972
"Business travellers express nerves over return of 737 Max"

So it's going to be an uphill battle if Boeing think's it can simply declare "problem fixed"

Last edited by osamede; Jun 14, 2019 at 1:43 am
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by osamede
Catastrophes at a giant company are about a breakdown in culture, starting with ownership, then cascading down to several layers of leadership.

Solution here is probably a bottom-up cleanout.

It's quite serious. At the moment Boeing has achieved the incredible feat of getting the must lucrative passengers to actually be concerned about what plane they are flying on,
https://www.ft.com/content/0cc0daf0-...1-51bf8f989972
"Business travellers express nerves over return of 737 Max"

So it's going to be an uphill battle if Boeing think's it can simply declare "problem fixed"
Hate to see the reserve for losses adjustments I still surprised to see that no one has been fired
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Hi all,

Boeing finally admits mistake the 737-MAX issues.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/natio...616-story.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/boei...ir-show-2019-6

Hopefully the 737-MAX to put back in the air later this year..
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

All that was admitted was
Boeing's communication with regulators, customers and the public "was not consistent. And that's unacceptable."
That's the classic non-apology apology.

Or a non-admission admission of mistake.
GadgetFreak and osamede like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Plato90s
All that was admitted was
Boeing's communication with regulators, customers and the public "was not consistent. And that's unacceptable."
That's the classic non-apology apology.

Or a non-admission admission of mistake.
This is a standard trait of the modern cadre of corporate psychopaths: the've never done anything wrong and they never fail - only resigning with golden parachutes and getting promoted elsewhere. If things have gone wrong, it must be with everyone else - in their reception, perception, or emotions. But that's really their failing, not these guys. They are perfect. And that is why they get paid so much.

So why would they ever apologize or admit doing anything wrong? No, they apologize for you being so fallible and weak. And they are right - because as a society we accept and richly reward this behavior from them.
GadgetFreak and 84fiero like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by osamede
This is a standard trait of the modern cadre of corporate psychopaths: the've never done anything wrong and they never fail - only resigning with golden parachutes and getting promoted elsewhere. If things have gone wrong, it must be with everyone else - in their reception, perception, or emotions. But that's really their failing, not these guys. They are perfect. And that is why they get paid so much.

So why would they ever apologize or admit doing anything wrong? No, they apologize for you being so fallible and weak. And they are right - because as a society we accept and richly reward this behavior from them.
Spin Control very late and very lame he has to go
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
We are very sorry that you feel some planes have crashed.

You have made a choice to distrust our safety record. We sincerely regret it.

Please accept our guarantee that our utmost effort will go towards improving your perception of us going forward.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:01 am

Following the rebranding advice from the President?

Boeing Says It’s Open to Changing the Name of Grounded 737 Max Jet

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ed-737-max-jet
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:20 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Who needs to fly the airplane to test it?

Seems like Boeing learned little after the MCAS fiasco with their Max, now they think they can shorten the evaluation process and "cost" by doing it all with simulations!

My experience with simulations is summarized by this quote from ME " Simulations tell you about yesterday's results tomorrow" Again and again I've found simulations even from the best experts and most comprehensive models often fail to extrapolate to new corners, after many iterations they can usually interpolate.

Or in the MCAS case with Max, is it now fully obvious that what was put int the final production was NEVER predicted to have behaved like it did. Now they understand they can put it into the simulator, but before the crashes NOBODY at Boeing could have predicted this, nor would it have put into the the simulations.

This observation above is also why those who copy others for complex mechanical as well as software often can never produce the full envelope of experience as the original as they don't understand how they got there. Or to the layman, think about cooking, even with the same recipe two people often can't replicate the same dish as the master, even if the recipe is every detailed.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-f...-idUSKCN1TH0A3
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

The FAA says Boeing's troubled 737 Max may not fly again until December — far later than many expected

Guess they have wait until December. Once they fix the software and they will put back in the air later this year.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chipmaster
Seems like Boeing learned little after the MCAS fiasco with their Max, now they think they can shorten the evaluation process and "cost" by doing it all with simulations!

My experience with simulations is summarized by this quote from ME " Simulations tell you about yesterday's results tomorrow" Again and again I've found simulations even from the best experts and most comprehensive models often fail to extrapolate to new corners, after many iterations they can usually interpolate.
Models and simulations can help reduce the cycle time as you develop something by reducing the number of intermediate tests, but it's a bad idea to eliminate the final qualification tests. A different way to phrase your quote is that simulations only tell you what you already know, but in a different format.

I suspect that the MCAS issue on the MAX is less subtle than eliminating tests in favor of simulations - when the late changes were made to how much and how fast it could move the stabilizer, it likely could have been flagged if someone did a pencil and paper failure modes analysis on what happens if you have a sensor failure during different flight phases.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
https://www.wsj.com/articles/physica...ht-11560937879

Efforts to get Boeing Co.’s BA -0.40% 737 MAX jetliners back in the air have been delayed in part by concerns about whether the average pilot has enough physical strength to turn a manual crank in extreme emergencies.
In a flight-simulator test earlier this month, The Wall Street Journal’s Scott McCartney and pilot Roddy Guthrie, fleet captain for the 737 at American Airlines, experienced troubles in turning the wheel. As described in a June 5 article, Capt. Guthrie couldn’t move the wheel until Mr. McCartney pitched the plane’s nose down, easing some of the pressure on the wheel.
[Capt. Chelsey “Sully”] Sullenberger told the committee that he recently experienced a recreation of the fatal MAX flights in a flight simulator. He came away from it understanding how crews could have been overwhelmed by alerts and warnings without enough time to fix the problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.