Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:49 pm

737-Max 8 safety concerns

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by tmorse6570
I bet if it had been an Airbus model, they would have grounded them immediately after the first crash.
For how long was the A330 fleet grounded after the AF447 accident?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Betterthanyou
In the case of the 787 the problem was clearly the Lithium Ion batteries, and the solution was to replace them or get another version from a different vendor.

In the case of the MAX, the problem is not so clear cut. Both crashes are still under investigation. I have heard a few things, but the most likely culprit is an automated stall recovery system that is 1: poorly programmed and engaging unexpectly and 2: not included in the training for certifying pilots in the MAX.

THAT seems to be where as you say, Boeing has some process problems. Bad data can be fixed..computers are garbage in/garbage out. They should have detected this problem well before going to market with it.

But the fact that they didn't seem to include this system in recommended certification points to airlines is an unacceptible oversight. Worse, automated recovery systems have been fatal in the past, as was the case with the first gen Airbus A319's back in the 80's. Pilots can only over-ride such systems if they are told how to do it. Reverting to manual control should be on the first page of the "Congratulations on your purchase of your new MAX 8!" brochure.
I’m really not worried what the issue is. There are myriad things that can go wrong, the fact that Boeing’s two most recent releases seem to have *something* go wrong indicates something deep seated in their design process/philosophy is wrong.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Is it possible that with the 737-Max design being more prone to higher-than-wanted AOA than previous models (hence the need for MCAS), problems with sensors like the ones involved in the LionAir crash causes more pronounced issues than past models?

Is it possible that the key driver is bad batch of sensors?
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DanielW
@ian_btv, there is nothing definitive yet, but there is alot of suspicion from aviation authorities that the MCAS played a role in the crash. The below link gives a good background on this:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...stigation.html

Please let me know if you need further explanation on this.
Can you please summarize? The link leads to an article behind a paywall.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Plato90s
Is it possible that with the 737-Max design being more prone to higher-than-wanted AOA than previous models (hence the need for MCAS), problems with sensors like the ones involved in the LionAir crash causes more pronounced issues than past models?

Is it possible that the key driver is bad batch of sensors?
it’s certainly “possible” but it’s also certainly far too early for that sort of speculation
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 11:53 am

The MCAS system is needed because the higher residual thrust of the new LEAP engines produces a light control feel at high angles-of-attack near a stall or in steep turns. The MCAS system provides a nose-down bias in those situation in order to produce a control feel that is consistent with the existing 737 NG models.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:21 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can you please summarize? The link leads to an article behind a paywall.
Here's a Permalink that should work.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Nope.....it leads to the same "you must pay" page.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ
The MCAS system is needed because the higher residual thrust of the new LEAP engines produces a light control feel at high angles-of-attack near a stall or in steep turns. The MCAS system provides a nose-down bias in those situation in order to produce a control feel that is consistent with the existing 737 NG models.
Yes, I got that from the existing coverage of what MCAS is supposed to do.

It's a software-compensation approach to the changes that Boeing introduced with the 737-Max in order to create better fuel efficiency/range.

In IT infrastructure, the 737-Max is what I'd call a fragile infrastructure. It's a system which requires active tuning/intervention in order to maintain stability. That is in contrast with robust systems which are deployed so that it delivers consistent performance without the need for as much fine-tuning.

In a robust environment, I'd expect there to be no active intervention 95%+ of the time. In a fragile environment, active intervention by the management software kicks in frequently.

Robust infrastructure very often turns fragile when users try to push the envelope too much - putting more workload than the system is really meant for. It's possible to continue to deliver the same performance/behavior via the active tuning, but it's not an ideal situation because the fragility means it's a lot easier to trigger a catastrophic sequence which crashes the entire system. That usually happens when the business wants to increase efficiency by squeezing more work out of the existing infrastructure footprint.

I'm not a pilot nor am I involved in aeronautics but the coverage thus far on the 737-Max suggests that Boeing has pushed the envelope too far on the 737-Max and made it a fragile system.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Southwest CEO sent out a letter today (got it in an e-mail) and said this in about the MAX 8:

"Our experience with the MAX, along with the other U.S. operators, has been phenomenal. We've operated over 40,000 flights covering almost 90,000 hours. There is a ton of data collected, which we continuously monitor. In all of our analysis since our first flight in 2017, or that by our U.S. counterparts or the FAA; nothing has presented any flight safety concerns. It is also important to add that all Pilots at Southwest are deeply experienced and highly trained, as are our Mechanics who are highly experienced and trained to safely maintain every airplane in our fleet."
ian_btv likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 8:47 pm

In IT infrastructure, the 737-Max is what I'd call a fragile infrastructure. It's a system which requires active tuning/intervention in order to maintain stability. That is in contrast with robust systems which are deployed so that it delivers consistent performance without the need for as much fine-tuning.
I am a pilot and have flown a variety of transport jets from the DC8 (designed in the 1950s), DC9 (1960s), B757/767 (1970/80s), B737 NG (1960-1990s), and now the B737 MAX (2010s).

Jets have a very wide operating envelope from low-speed, low-altitude to high-speed, high-altitude. Building an airplane that can operate throughout that wide range requires compromises. It can't be perfectly designed for any one phase of flight as that would make it impractical in other, still essential, phases of flight. All of the airplanes I've flown have had systems which provided "tuning/intervention" in certain phases of flight. The older designs did this mechanically. Newer designs rely more electronics and programming. The mechanical systems were far less reliable than today's electronic versions. None of them, unfortunately, can change the underlying physics which continue to make them an essential part of aircraft design.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:53 pm

I am a pilot and have flown a variety of transport jets from the DC8 (designed in the 1950s), DC9 (1960s), B757/767 (1970/80s), B737 NG (1960-1990s), and now the B737 MAX (2010s).

Jets have a very wide operating envelope from low-speed, low-altitude to high-speed, high-altitude. Building an airplane that can operate throughout that wide range requires compromises. It can't be perfectly designed for any one phase of flight as that would make it impractical in other, still essential, phases of flight. All of the airplanes I've flown have had systems which provided "tuning/intervention" in certain phases of flight. The older designs did this mechanically. Newer designs rely more electronics and programming. The mechanical systems were far less reliable than today's electronic versions. None of them, unfortunately, can change the underlying physics which continue to make them an essential part of aircraft design.
Yes, I agree that modern fly-by-wire is better than the old mechanical systems.

By the same token, IT infrastructure has come a long way from the days of floppy disks, CD-ROM's, etc...

It doesn't change the basic idea of robust vs. fragile infrastructure. Those concepts existed even back in the days when mainframes ruled the computer world.

I already noted that even the robust infrastructure would end up requiring tuning/intervention. The key difference between robust and fragile is how often it had to be done, and the probability of a catastrophic cascade of failure if the tuning/intervention didn't work.

My understanding (as a non-pilot who isn't in aviation/aeronautic design) is that the 737-Max had a brand new software feature incorporated solely to manage the changes in how the aircraft flew. The behavior it was designed to counter (too-high angle of attack) is one which can lead to catastrophic failure.

In the IT world, if a vendor told me they added that kind of feature.... I'd consider it an indicator that there's going to be problems with robustness vs. fragility.

ETA:

In a way, this reminds me of the VW diesel emission scandal where after the problems were exposed, VW promised to fix it. Except they couldn't.

Subsequently, we learned that VW had been trying (secretly) for years to find a solution. Before the deception was exposed, VW went back to the urea system for diesel vehicle, an implicit admission that their "burn off" approach didn't work.

The engine was too fundamentally flawed and there was no way to change it to meet American emission standards. Eventually VW had to just recall and buy back the cars sold in the US to the tune of $8+ billion for ~400k vehicles.

Given that Boeing must have been working hard at trying to find a solution to the 737-Max problem since the Lion Air crash... are they going to end up like VW where it's just not viable to try to fix?

Last edited by Plato90s; Mar 15, 2019 at 5:49 am
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
For how long was the A330 fleet grounded after the AF447 accident?
It took two years to recover the recorder and they determined the probable cause to be a build up of ice crystals on a sensor. Kind of different.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by tmorse6570
It took two years to recover the recorder and they determined the probable cause to be a build up of ice crystals on a sensor. Kind of different.
As you said, we didn't know the cause for a couple of years. The airplane continued to fly with no resolution to the accident.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:27 pm

As you said, we didn't know the cause for a couple of years. The airplane continued to fly with no resolution to the accident.
That is not exactly fair. The A330 had approximately 15 years flying track record at the time of AF447. The Max has been flying for far less time and there have been two superficially similar accidents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.