FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Is Premium Economy an awkward middle ground? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1959297-premium-economy-awkward-middle-ground.html)

davie355 Mar 4, 2019 10:12 am

Is Premium Economy an awkward middle ground?

It's hard to express this without sounding immature, but I'm of the opinion that "entry level luxury" is gauche. Mercedes-Benz sells a $30k car, for example, but I'd rather drive a $15k Toyota, because the Mercedes will convey that I am poor yet try to seem rich, while the Toyota could mean I'm secure in my socioeconomic status.

Does anybody share my view?

strickerj Mar 4, 2019 10:51 am

Buying a luxury product is generally at least partially about image - the entry level Mercedes you mentioned (CLA and GLA class) was panned by the press for having interior quality and power train refinement unbefitting a “luxury” car (and even inferior to some mainstream brand cars that cost less), but MB knew people would buy it for the prestige of having a MB, so why not cut costs as much as they could get away with?

I don’t see airline classes like that - I’m in PE or F not to impress anyone (because who would even notice?), but to give myself the tangible benefit of slightly less discomfort on a mostly uncomfortable mode of transportation.

COSPILOT Mar 4, 2019 11:13 am

I'll disagree completely.

Comparing different Economy seats is a comfort choice, and possibly not a big expense for those that pay for it, especially the way airlines are "bundling" things now for non status flyers.

Cars are different story. Since you mentioned Mercedes, they have done a very good job of not taking away what makes them a luxury brand, but also offering something much cheaper. Brand appeal is a personal choice, if it didn't exist life would be a little boring. My wife went from a fully loaded Range Rover to a Subaru Outback for our last purchase. I'll still drive a Land Rover, but not for status, rather its the best at what it does. We simply look at budget and what gets us what we need within that budget.

abmj-jr Mar 4, 2019 11:13 am

The only benefit to PE is more room in the seat. Nothing else matters so image means nothing.

CPRich Mar 4, 2019 11:30 am

Originally Posted by davie355 (Post 30846456)
It's hard to express this without sounding immature,

You're correct about that part.

State of Trance Mar 4, 2019 12:12 pm

PEY isn't awkward at all and fills an important niche. There are many people including myself who are willing to pay for better seat and service than Y, but do not feel the need to pay the much steeper price of J all the time.

If anything, if Y is a base model Camry, PEY is more like a fully optioned trim of the same car. More comfortable at a higher price, but closer to Y (it's even in the name) than J. Nobody's buying PEY to flex on Y pax.

beachmouse Mar 4, 2019 1:28 pm

I'm married to a fella who is 6'2" and I'm a long-legged broad myself. Given the trend toward densification on pretty much every airline, I'm all for paying a modest amount more for a plane ticket compared to standard economy for flights 2+ hours that will provide additional leg room.

TuxTom Mar 4, 2019 2:12 pm

I would say the car analogy is a bit off here. No one is paying for the prestige of flying a particular brand of premium economy. While it varies quite a bit from airline to airline, but it's usually more of an enhanced Y product versus a watered-down J product. It fills a demand in the market for people who aren't as price sensitive and are willing to pay for comfort, but can't afford the often exorbitant cost of J.

ajeleonard Mar 4, 2019 2:27 pm

People are buying PE for more space, not image

Often1 Mar 4, 2019 2:37 pm

Analogies never work. But, FT loves them.

This one not only does not work, but the comparison is a really immature approach. Just as OP says.

closetasfan Mar 4, 2019 3:59 pm

well....it is kinda awkward, at least in wording....aren't premium and economy kinda contradictory? this sounds like a trick to get companies to pay for a higher class than economy when companies rebelled against the crazy prices being charged for biz class

strickerj Mar 4, 2019 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by closetasfan (Post 30847927)
well....it is kinda awkward, at least in wording....aren't premium and economy kinda contradictory? this sounds like a trick to get companies to pay for a higher class than economy when companies rebelled against the crazy prices being charged for biz class

Yes, it does rather seem as though we’re just back to Coach, Business, and First Class by different names.

State of Trance Mar 4, 2019 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by strickerj (Post 30848275)

Yes, it does rather seem as though we’re just back to Coach, Business, and First Class by different names.

Today's PEY is really close to the recliner J seats I first flew as a kid in the 90s. Considering many airlines have already phased out F in favor of lie-flat direct aisle access J, I think you're spot on.

Gig103 Mar 4, 2019 6:16 pm

I disagree as well. I think what we're seeing is an inflation of the classes. As business class on many carriers has become what FC used to be (lay flats, doors on some carriers), and as economy has gotten worse (narrower and less pitch), we reached a critical mass where the new class was needed.

I fly business class and let me tell you, I don't do it to look good, I do it because when flying 14 hours LAX-PVG, I want to be comfortable for the trip.

If I was going to make a car analogy, I'd say flying Emirates over Delta is a better example - DL has a 9-across B777 compared to EK's 10-across B777, but the latter has the cachet due to the million Youtube videos of their in-flight showers in first class suites.

eigenvector Mar 4, 2019 6:41 pm

Here's the problem I have with premium economy. I recently booked two trips to Europe, from Vancouver to London and Paris respectively. In each case, the fare options were something like this:

Economy: $700
Premium Economy: $2500
Business $3500

Who in their right mind would an upcharge of $1800 per passenger for a bit more legroom, but not upgrade all the way to business?

I think premium economy is a sensible product, but the pricing is out of whack here.