Wiki Posts
Search

Race Across the World BBC2

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
I don't think TAR had a total overall budget and I think tickets were pre-reserved for folks because I never saw anyone at an airport trying to figure out airline schedules.
That happened on many, if not most, episodes. At least in the first 8-9 seasons I watched. Shots of different liveries taking off with different teams, and a map showing the different airlines/routes/stopovers/etc. they'd chosen, often driven by funds available, was a staple of the show.

Picture it, Maputo, 2007: Teams of two Americans spend time in airports trying to get airplane tickets. One team, a little person and her annoying cousin fly away first, leaving all the other teams behind to fight for standby seats on overbooked flights to Tanzania. That pretty much sums up most of last night’s Amazing Race 11 episode, which largely took place in airports.
Walking down the jetway, Eric committed one of the biggest race sins: foreshadowing one’s own calamity. “Still waiting for somebody to run after us and tell us to stop,” he said. Moments later, on board the plane, an airline rep told them, “You were accidentally given somebody else’s seats. Sorry, I must ask you to leave the plane right now.” Eric offered the passengers “50 bucks” “to get off the plane,” but no one agreed, perhaps because they knew he was racing for $1 million, the cheap ........
Being pulled off the plane led Danielle to throw her backpack to the ground, start crying, and demand more juice and peanut butter crackers. “I don’t wanna do this anymore,” she cried.
Amazing Race contestant shares 16 things you didn’t know about the show

2. It really is as hard as it looks. The contestants really do sleep on airport floors and live out of their backpacks.

Last edited by CPRich; Mar 8, 2019 at 11:03 pm
Old Mar 9, 2019, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
History repeats itself. Gladiators got prices for winning too.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bluehen1
I haven't watched the show but from the descriptions it seems it's a bit different from The Amazing Race. I don't think TAR had a total overall budget and I think tickets were pre-reserved for folks because I never saw anyone at an airport trying to figure out airline schedules. That's why you got teams bunching up at airports even though some folks arrived a significant period ahead of time.
There was little figuring out schedules because most of the time it was simply asking a travel agent or airline clerk what's the fastest way to get there. There was no issue of trying to find the best deal, all that mattered was arrival time and whether other teams would be taking the flight--taking a different flight risked a delay that took you out of the race.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fraser
I found this Youtube channel where four of the five episodes are uploaded. Watched them all through over the last few days and there's quite a bit of flight blagging going on....
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrJsb79/videos
Already zapped.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Already zapped.
Zapped how? Page and videos seem to be working for me still.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Zapped how? Page and videos seem to be working for me still.
Strange! When I go to the page listed everything is 7 year old episodes apparently of "Lost", there's nothing recent.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Strange! When I go to the page listed everything is 7 year old episodes apparently of "Lost", there's nothing recent.
Yes, I was linking videos to the "Lost" game show from the UK that was aired in 2001.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I was linking videos to the "Lost" game show from the UK that was aired in 2001.
This thread is about a new show "Race Across the World" that's airing on the BBC.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread is about a new show "Race Across the World" that's airing on the BBC.
Right, and if you’d read the other responses in the thread a few of us were discussing the Lost game show which sounds a bit similar. I even quoted someone else talking Lost when I posted the link to the YouTube page!!
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:14 am

Finished it yesterday and it was really a very good entertaining show with lots of surprises. I would have also made other choices but all contestants managed to have some fun on the way and not just race to the end and you could really see the character development in people, really amazing. Looking forward to another season next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.