Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel front desk service standards during the day vs. night

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by mecabq
It is, and I agree with this broad generalization. It's easy to imagine that the day shift is a preferable work condition (in general, for most people), hence the better people end up there.

Sometimes in the middle of the night it's the night auditor who has checked me in. Auditors are not known for their customer service skills.
Remember, the junior staff ( trainees etc) wind up for night duty...On the Job Training !
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:07 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by ft101
Probably the night porter assuming check in desk duties when it's not staffed.
One time I was staying at an airport hotel at a smaller city. It was one of the last flights in and the hotel shuttle drive was also the person who assumed check-in desk duties at the hotel!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
My experiences checking in late are all over the map. Sometimes it's a junior staff member who seems more interested in her phone than in serving me. (Phones really help with slow overnight shifts-- I empathize as I worked a year of 2nd & 3rd shifts years ago-- but staff must put them down when a customer arrives.) Sometimes it's a staffer who seems half asleep and doesn't do anything beyond handing over a key without being reminded. Other times, including my most recent late night check in, it's a staffer who's full of energy despite the hour and cheerfully welcomes me to the hotel.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by davie355
When I check into hotels very late at night I often get a subpar front desk agent. They don't greet me or make much eye contact. Elite recognition is spotty and perks (like bottled water) are often neglected unless I ask for them. They're very curt and don't even provide basic information about the hotel (like breakfast hours) unless I ask specifically.

Infallibly, when I check out the next day at a normal hour, I am met with a smiling, warm agent that you would expect from a Hilton or Marriott caliber of hotel.

Do hotels reduce the bar for hiring night shift front desk agents?
often a student
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Gadot
often a student
Or one who is looking to get transferred to day shifts.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 10:03 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Personally if I'm checking into a hotel late at night I want as little interaction as possible. Don't be rude to me but the quicker you get me to my room and to sleep the happier I'll be. I also know what questions I need to ask so just wait for me to ask about breakfast, the shuttle etc, bag the upgrade because it's late and get me on my way, thank you.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:55 am

i used to work as night auditor. yes, we are required to staff the front desk. but our primary job is accounting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.