Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

When did water and coffee become "resort" amenities?

When did water and coffee become "resort" amenities?

Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Wrong, incorrect and utter nonsense.

I went to the website of the hotel whose "resort fee" description inspired this thread to see if they disclose the fee, how much it is and what it is for. I got all the to the page to enter payment data without the hotel site disclosing what fees they charge and what the fees cover. At the place where you commit to paying them money, this what is shown as the price:
Total Rate USD 224.10
Excluding Taxes & Fees
THEY DO NOT SHOW YOU WHAT THE FEES OR TAXES ARE.
Bonvoy has it on the credit card page
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Traditionally the coffee and the bottled water have been put in the room without consultation with the guest to whether they were wanted. I don't want them, so why should I pay a "resort fee" for them? I carry my own phone, why should I have to pay because years ago the hotel put one in the room that I will not need or use? Same with wifi, I can get by just fine without it. So you can argue whether or not they were ever "free" all you like, but when I see BS like bottled water being a "resort" amenity I guarantee you I'm staying at a different hotel because a) I have no respect for a business that uses such bogus descriptions of their charges and b) I don't want to pay fees for items I neither need nor want.

For a genuine amenity, like a gym, if I wanted to use it, I'd be willing to pay a per use fee. I see that as an additional service provided by the hotel, not inherently a part of the "provide me with a room with a bed and bathroom for a price" contract.
I own a Marriott. You can deny usage and the coffee and water and wifi will be removed from your room. You remind me of the little olde ladies at my country club who had gotten free cans of coke for their bridge games for years and got upset when they started to get charged
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
Nobody questions the hotel owner's right to try to charge the people who use these things. The market can then dictate whether people are willing to pay for them or not.

Sneaking a bogus fee in on everyone, not part of the room rate, should be 100% illegal.
As I said earlier, at many hotels you can refuse them and they remove the water, coffee etc. depends on what the fees cover
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Gadot
why is coffee and water and internet part of the room rate. They are extras that we give you over the room rate. Just because in the past we have given them away along with newspapers does not mean that we will be bound to do it in the future. The room rate is the room and cost thereof (cleaning etc). Any extras are extras and you should be glad that they are itemized for you
Does the base rate include the water, sewer, and electric utilities? Does it include heating and air conditioning? Does it include the TV and bedside clock? I've never seen any of those items listed as resort fee amenities - every one of them is included in the room's base rate, at every hotel and motel I've ever patronized.

Any other item that the owners wish could likewise be added to the base rate. Everyone knows, and FULLY accepts, that the installation and upkeep of these items imposes costs on the owner of the property, which they must pass on to the customer. We are all fine with that. We believe in it. We encourage it. The argument is whether those costs should be bundled as part and parcel of the base rate (which I personally think they should) to enable the guest to compare the true, complete, fully-disclosed cost of the room, or broken out as separate reimbursement fees.

The argument is also that if these items are broken out of the base rate as separate reimbursement fees, then every single one of them should be non-mandatory, optional, a la carte charges that are not assessed on those guests who chose not to use the items.

Put simply, if I ain't drinkin' yer coffee, I shouldn't have to pay fer yer dern coffee. If I don't work out in yer gym, I shouldn't have to pay fer yer gym.

I own a Marriott. You can deny usage and the coffee and water and wifi will be removed from your room. You remind me of the little olde ladies at my country club who had gotten free cans of coke for their bridge games for years and got upset when they started to get charged
I don't use three of the four items in question here - I use internet, but not coffee, not bottled water, and not phone calls.

At YOUR hotel, if I deny usage of these items and they are removed from my room, is my resort fee reduced by 75%?

At YOUR hotel, if I deny usage of ALL of these items and they are removed, is my resort fee waived entirely?

How difficult is it to get the resort fee reduced or waived due to denial of usage? Can I do so when I book the room online or by phone with Marriott? Can I do so when I book by phone directly with your hotel?

Is it disclosed ANYWHERE during booking or check-in that these items may be denied and removed, and the resort fee reduced or waived? Either in writing or verbally by your staff? Because I don't doubt that there are plenty of guests in your property who use none of the resort fee amenities other than internet, yet pay the full resort fee as a matter of course.

"That's just the way it's done, it's the industry standard," is not a sufficient argument for recouping your costs in this manner, when you can recoup your costs in some other simpler and easier manner which does not deceive the customer, i.e. building all mandatory costs into the base rate, and not automatically assessing fees for optional items that the guest did not specifically request and may or may not use.
pinniped, muji and strickerj like this.

Last edited by WillCAD; Mar 9, 2019 at 12:07 pm Reason: Starting too many paragraphs with "And" is stupid. And so I removed them.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I own a Marriott. You can deny usage and the coffee and water and wifi will be removed from your room.
Bull****. I've argued about resort fees at various hotels, and it's always a fight, Marriotts included. It's never as simple as "oh, you can deny the fee at checkin and just not use the amenities." And this is never posted anywhere, not on the website, not in the hotel, not in the room. You and I know 100% what's going on with this unethical fee. Let's not pretend otherwise - it just makes you look intellectually dishonest. You're doing it for the simple reason that it is not illegal (yet) and you can get away with it.

Oh, and which property, by the way? If you're comfortable with the ethics of what you do, and you really own a Marriott (I assume one that charges these bogus fees), then you'll have no problem telling us which one it is.

You remind me of the little olde ladies at my country club who had gotten free cans of coke for their bridge games for years and got upset when they started to get charged
Did the little olde ladies have their membership fees reduced at the time their Cokes were taken away from them? Sounds like they have a right to be pissed.

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Does the base rate include the water, sewer, and electric utilities?
I actually had a hotel attempt to charge me for the electricity - Embassy Suites in Washington DC, the one nearest Georgetown (I forget its exact name). I refused that charge and was told it would be waived "as a one-time courtesy". I have not stayed at that hotel since. Since I don't see rant threads on the HH board I'm going to guess the fee did not stick. It was something like $3 per night and definitely *not* disclosed on the website.

I don't use three of the four items in question here - I use internet, but not coffee, not bottled water, and not phone calls.
Same here. In 2019, I look at Internet as part of the room rate just like a toilet and pillows. However, if a hotel owner wants to charge for it, I get that this is their right. It just means that I'm not staying in their hotel unless there is some other unique/compelling reason to do so. (I won't rule out a B&B in an incredibly remote area just because of Internet access, for example.) Thankfully at Marriott and Hilton I don't have to worry about this.

How difficult is it to get the resort fee reduced or waived due to denial of usage? Can I do so when I book the room online or by phone with Marriott? Can I do so when I book by phone directly with your hotel?
No, no, and no. You always have to arrive and fight it out at the front desk, or just accept being ripped off.
muji and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinniped
Bull****. I've argued about resort fees at various hotels, and it's always a fight, Marriotts included. It's never as simple as "oh, you can deny the fee at checkin and just not use the amenities." And this is never posted anywhere, not on the website, not in the hotel, not in the room. You and I know 100% what's going on with this unethical fee. Let's not pretend otherwise - it just makes you look intellectually dishonest. You're doing it for the simple reason that it is not illegal (yet) and you can get away with it.

Oh, and which property, by the way? If you're comfortable with the ethics of what you do, and you really own a Marriott (I assume one that charges these bogus fees), then you'll have no problem telling us which one it is.

Did the little olde ladies have their membership fees reduced at the time their Cokes were taken away from them? Sounds like they have a right to be pissed.

I actually had a hotel attempt to charge me for the electricity - Embassy Suites in Washington DC, the one nearest Georgetown (I forget its exact name). I refused that charge and was told it would be waived "as a one-time courtesy". I have not stayed at that hotel since. Since I don't see rant threads on the HH board I'm going to guess the fee did not stick. It was something like $3 per night and definitely *not* disclosed on the website.

Same here. In 2019, I look at Internet as part of the room rate just like a toilet and pillows. However, if a hotel owner wants to charge for it, I get that this is their right. It just means that I'm not staying in their hotel unless there is some other unique/compelling reason to do so. (I won't rule out a B&B in an incredibly remote area just because of Internet access, for example.) Thankfully at Marriott and Hilton I don't have to worry about this.

No, no, and no. You always have to arrive and fight it out at the front desk, or just accept being ripped off.
So I assume that you are ripped off when you pay for a checked bag. When you order top shelf drinks. When you are charged a corkage fee if you bring your own bottle of wine. I think Utah still charges a "membership fee" if you want to order drinks. To be honest, I think most hotels would not want you as a guest. What business are you in? We also have the new drink refrigerators where if you remove something you are automatically charged. I believe it is the Ritz in DC that charges to use the pool or health club as they belong to a private club. And you are paying for internet charges by being a frequent guest.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Does the base rate include the water, sewer, and electric utilities? Does it include heating and air conditioning? Does it include the TV and bedside clock? I've never seen any of those items listed as resort fee amenities - every one of them is included in the room's base rate, at every hotel and motel I've ever patronized.

Any other item that the owners wish could likewise be added to the base rate. Everyone knows, and FULLY accepts, that the installation and upkeep of these items imposes costs on the owner of the property, which they must pass on to the customer. We are all fine with that. We believe in it. We encourage it. The argument is whether those costs should be bundled as part and parcel of the base rate (which I personally think they should) to enable the guest to compare the true, complete, fully-disclosed cost of the room, or broken out as separate reimbursement fees.

The argument is also that if these items are broken out of the base rate as separate reimbursement fees, then every single one of them should be non-mandatory, optional, a la carte charges that are not assessed on those guests who chose not to use the items.

Put simply, if I ain't drinkin' yer coffee, I shouldn't have to pay fer yer dern coffee. If I don't work out in yer gym, I shouldn't have to pay fer yer gym.

At YOUR hotel, if I deny usage of these items and they are removed from my room, is my resort fee reduced by 75%?

At YOUR hotel, if I deny usage of ALL of these items and they are removed, is my resort fee waived entirely?

Is it disclosed ANYWHERE during booking or check-in that these items may be denied and removed, and the resort fee reduced or waived? Either in writing or verbally by your staff? Because I don't doubt that there are plenty of guests in your property who use none of the resort fee amenities other than internet, yet pay the full resort fee as a matter of course.

"That's just the way it's done, it's the industry standard," is not a sufficient argument for recouping your costs in this manner, when you can recoup your costs in some other simpler and easier manner which does not deceive the customer, i.e. building all mandatory costs into the base rate, and not automatically assessing fees for optional items that the guest did not specifically request and may or may not use.
Flying is a privilege - not a right. You are paying someone for the usage of their equipment and people. Last time I looked at airline costs, the "taxes and fees" come separately. I am currently vacationing in Hilton Head. I am charged a golf course fee. should I get upset?

Last edited by Gadot; Mar 9, 2019 at 1:03 pm
Old Mar 9, 2019, 1:35 pm

Flying is a privilege - not a right. You are paying someone for the usage of their equipment and people. Last time I looked at airline costs, the "taxes and fees" come separately. I am currently vacationing in Hilton Head. I am charged a golf course fee. should I get upset?
Did you want to use the golf course, and are you using the golf course? If not, could you decline the fee and not utilize the golf course?
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA MM Lifetime Gold, BA Silver
I recently traveled to Rome and was charged a tourist tax of 3.50 euros per person per night... in cash! I thought it was crazy. If the city wants to charge a tourist tax, I felt that it should be included in the rate. A similar thing happened in Barcelona recently when I was charged the "city tax" even though I was redeeming points for a hotel room.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 4:01 pm

why is coffee and water and internet part of the room rate. They are extras that we give you over the room rate. Just because in the past we have given them away along with newspapers does not mean that we will be bound to do it in the future. The room rate is the room and cost thereof (cleaning etc). Any extras are extras and you should be glad that they are itemized for you
They are not extras if you have to pay for them.
So, how do I waive the coffee and water and internet and thus the resort fee?

Oh, I see you have said you own a Marriott.
As someone else noted, if you'd like to tell us FTers we all come visit you to see if we can actually have this done.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by s0ssos
They are not extras if you have to pay for them.
So, how do I waive the coffee and water and internet and thus the resort fee?

Oh, I see you have said you own a Marriott.
As someone else noted, if you'd like to tell us FTers we all come visit you to see if we can actually have this done.
Naw, I don't enjoy people who gripe about all. And you didn't say anything about paying for checked baggage or early seat assignment on airlines That must really bug you too.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:32 pm

Naw, I don't enjoy people who gripe about all. And you didn't say anything about paying for checked baggage or early seat assignment on airlines That must really bug you too.
Nope, I get it for free with elite status.

So, what about Marriott titanium status? What does that get me?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

I suggest you review the FT terms of service, especially the section on making personal remarks about other members of FT.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:59 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Thread closed pending Moderator Review
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.