Skinny female seatmate raises armrest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skinny female seatmate raises armrest

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:19 pm

PhD student stipends are extremely low.

When I was a PhD student I’d have gladly accepted a sugar mama arrangement with any passably good looking woman under 29.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
It doesn't matter if the person is fat, short, tall, skinny, young, old, male, female, (fill in the blank) the armrest stays down. I would have put it back into its normal position and continued the conversation.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Badenoch
It doesn't matter if the person is fat, short, tall, skinny, young, old, male, female, (fill in the blank) the armrest stays down. I would have put it back into its normal position and continued the conversation.
I agree in principle, but sometimes if the seatmate is a POS, there's more encroachment when the arm rest is down (overflowing under the arm rest) than when it's up, so it's unclear which is worse.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Did the aircraft data display show a flight altitude greater than 5,280 feet?
In the lav that is
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by YOUR_FAVORITE_AUDITOR
Then... see what Fate has in store :-)
Are you suggesting the OP might be the first person in history to get a letter published in the FlyerTalk Forum and the Penthouse Forum?
ajGoes likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AC, VIPorter, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YOUR_FAVORITE_AUDITOR
What you should have done is taken out your business card, written your personal phone number on the backside, and handed it to her. Then... see what Fate has in store :-)
Or one of those napkins that got Delta/Coke in trouble...
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
oh no, it happened - 'thin shaming'!
like the above, and other perceived injustices (that really don't exist), i fear it would have just fed our paranoid society.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: none
I don't understand the issue enough to respond intelligently. Can someone clue me in on what is the question?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Allan38103
I don't understand the issue enough to respond intelligently. Can someone clue me in on what is the question?
I believe a mature man (OP) travelled on a flight and sat next to a young 'skinny' lady. Because she was skinny, she didn't overflow her seat into him already.
In trying to recline his seat he accidentally fumbled the lady. Her movement of the arm rest up (out of use position), could have been perceived as an invitation.
The OP is wondering whether he should have pointed this out to his charming stranger.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Allan38103
Do you or do you not hit that?

Seriously though, OP, you are reading way more into the situation. I think the other pax was only trying to help, and nothing else. Go about your normal business and flying routine.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
Her movement of the arm rest up (out of use position), could have been perceived as an invitation.
It's that part right there that I'm not seeing. Seems like reading a lot into what's actually there.
If raising the armrest can be construed as "an invitation" (an invitation to what?) then having a conversation could be construed as a "seduction"?
​​​​​​
​​​​
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
run like hell
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by rickg523
It's that part right there that I'm not seeing. Seems like reading a lot into what's actually there.
If raising the armrest can be construed as "an invitation" (an invitation to what?) then having a conversation could be construed as a "seduction"?
​​​​​​
​​​​
Exactly.

Now, putting your head (female) on someone's shoulder (male), touching said person's thigh, all in the while highly intoxicated, is the start of some sweet memories
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:03 pm

Sometime around the time I was turning 30, I was flying transcon weekly. On one flight a college aged woman sat down next to me, we chatted a bit before take off and once we were in the air she put her head on my shoulder and went right to sleep, ended up with her arms wrapped around mine before the end of the flight. She at least gave the appearance of being quite embarrassed when she awoke. I've always kind've thought we both got something out of it... she got a pillow and I got the brief flicker of thinking I might still be attractive to a college aged woman. I feel like I did pretty ok with Mrs. MCIUnitedGuy, whom I had not met at that point, so no regrets about not trying to get the sleeper's number I guess.....
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
​​​​​​
​​​​
interestingly, in our brave new world, with equality, it's people's perceptions that are the reality, rather than traditional physical actions and behaviours.
if people perceive a look, then it can be argued about some form of discrimination (no matter how nonsensical that sounds).
similarly, if men may flirt or say something that could be perceived as suggestive, it can be seen as an 'assault' or harassment.
accordingly, men have to make sure there are no blurred lines.
as a society we can't suggest ways for women to avoid such situations as this is considered 'victim blaming' - even if there is no actual victim (because it's a hypothetical discussion). in the new world, we are made to feel that men are to blame, and men's actions are where the fault lies and that is solely where changes need to be made.
NPF and strickerj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.