Passenger smoked in lav

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger smoked in lav

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by halls120
LOL, in a prior job I handed out civil penalties. I wasn't the recipient.
Yeah yeah yeah... that's what they all say.
wrp96, strickerj and laxmillenial like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Since when is doing your job grounds for punitive action?

How do you know he/she didn't? Maybe that's why there was a delay in the FA speaking with the passenger.
If the aircraft was met by local law enforcement, as it was, this was a domestic flight. I can't think of a UA nonstop to SFO where serving anyone six drinks, even presuming that they were stone cold sober on boarding, is acceptable. Doesn;t matter whether the individual downed six drinks as a PDB or spaced them across a 6-7 hour flight, it calls for a thorough internal review and I am certain that one will occur (although it won't be reported here or anywhere public).
dgcpaphd and Franky16 like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
Sfo-ewr would be about 6 hours incl. boarding and is ample time to have a drink per hour incl PDB. People’s tolerance, as well as body weight (i.e. volume of distribution) vary and I can guarantee that 6 drinks in that time would still not make some people’s BAC go over 0.008%. Hence ymmv and no amount of liqour behaves the same in two people.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
The original fail was serving anybody six drinks. Smoking in the lav shows what impaired judgment can do for passenger safety. As this was reported to law enforcement, there will be follow up by UA as well. That will likely lead to some action against the FA.
IANAL but I don't see why there should be action against the FA. I have known guys who were perfectly fine after a half-dozen shots or mixed drinks in an hour and the flight was considerably longer than that. Is yucking it up grounds for stopping service? What are the odds that if s/he DID stop serving them drinks after 3, 4, 5 ... said miscreants wouldn't have come straight to FT or BA or TPG to complain about the pig-headed FA stopping service without cause?

IMO, this misbehavior is squarely on the smoker, not on the FA.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
IANAL but I don't see why there should be action against the FA.
The possibility I see is that the FA may have served a passenger who appears to be intoxicated.

But we're not going to figure it out here.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: UA GS
If the aircraft was met by local law enforcement, as it was, this was a domestic flight. I can't think of a UA nonstop to SFO where serving anyone six drinks, even presuming that they were stone cold sober on boarding, is acceptable. Doesn;t matter whether the individual downed six drinks as a PDB or spaced them across a 6-7 hour flight, it calls for a thorough internal review and I am certain that one will occur (although it won't be reported here or anywhere public).
Including PDB, I've definitely had 6 drinks served by an FA on a domestic flight, especially when you think about refills of wine. PDB, first drink with nuts plus a refill, probably 2 glasses of wine, you're already up to five. Assuming after dinner or lunch service there's a break, you could easily then have a couple more later on. Yes, I may drink too much for my own good, but I've never caused an incident.

I don't think 1 drink per hour is unreasonable at all, especially on a PS flight.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
In the early days of vape pens I knew people who openly used them in the cabin before the rules quickly changed. But cigarettes, that is crazy stupid.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K | MR Platinum
Imposing a single limit on drink consumption that applies to every person is asinine. A friend of mine is belligerently drunk after literally a single drink, but I can down a 12 pack and act like a normal human. If the pax didn’t appear intoxicated, then the FA should not be punished.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
The last time I was on a flight where someone smoked in the lav was late 2001 or early 2002, JFK - SJU. The FA made an announcement to not do that, and I think that was the only consequence that I'm aware of! It's really not a long flight, and smoking was much more common back then, so I really kind of felt sorry for someone who felt they needed a cigarette that badly.
Brendan likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
IANAL but I don't see why there should be action against the FA. I have known guys who were perfectly fine after a half-dozen shots or mixed drinks in an hour ...
No, you haven’t.
n198ua and fatmenace like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
A standard shot if absorbed immediately, which it is not, would yield to about 0.025 bac in a 150lbs man. However more realistically about 0.01 as the avg male will clear about 0.015 per hour. So 6 shots in one hour would lead to about just above the legal limit. So i’m sure he has seen people drink that.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mdbe
A standard shot if absorbed immediately, which it is not, would yield to about 0.025 bac in a 150lbs man. However more realistically about 0.01 as the avg male will clear about 0.015 per hour. So 6 shots in one hour would lead to about just above the legal limit. So i’m sure he has seen people drink that.
Six shots in an hour would only get a 150-pound man to slightly above .08?

That math seems suspect to me.
Clay_C. likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
So I presume that this happened in F? 'Cause I'm pretty sure that I've never even had the opportunity to order six drinks from an FA in E+. (In F, OTOH, I'm sure I've consumed six glasses of wine. )

Originally Posted by mduell
The possibility I see is that the FA may have served a passenger who appears to be intoxicated.

But we're not going to figure it out here.
Yeah, I think it'd come down to a "he said/she said" sorta thing ... and I'd guess that not many would come to the defense of the smoker in this case.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joe_miami

This site suggests 4 shots will get you to .08 for a 160lb person.

Regardless, it isn't exactly uncommon for people to have 6 mixed drinks on a transcon or even a midcon, at least in my observations.......

https://dui.drivinglaws.org/drink-table.php
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
The original fail was serving anybody six drinks. Smoking in the lav shows what impaired judgment can do for passenger safety.
Or what being an old curmudgeon who used to fly regularly when smoking on planes was No Big Deal can do...

As this was reported to law enforcement, there will be follow up by UA as well. That will likely lead to some action against the FA.
Maybe, depending whether UA is aware of how many drinks the passenger was served in-flight.

And if UA wants FAs to never serve one passenger 6 drinks on a flight, which I sincerely hope is a policy they won't adopt.

Originally Posted by cayohueso
I had a friend of a friend who bragged about getting away with smoking the lav. Some planes have a venturi effect sink drain, where when you push the drain stopper open it sort of pops and there is the sound of rushing air. He said he would stick his face in the sink, put a towel over his head holding the drain open and vent it overboard that way. While it sounded like a pretty awful experience, it also sounded plausible.
Was this friend of a friend smoking... meth? I can't imagine getting my face that close to the airplane lav sink...

Originally Posted by AirMiles2001
I've certainly drank 6 drinks on a DEN-LHR flight but not on a DEN-MTJ.
ORD-LAS I'm going to get 6 drinks in on that PDB plus 4 hour flight for sure.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Since when is doing your job grounds for punitive action?
If one believes the amount of alcohol served was excessive, then the FA was not doing their job. (I would not assume such a thing given what we know.)

If I'm on a 6+ hour non-stop on an American domestic airline, 6+ drinks almost seems like the only acceptable way to do it!

No, you haven’t.
Challenge Accepted!

Maybe at 150. But a 200-lb man who did 6 shots in an hour would top out at about .12. Certainly over the legal limit for operating a motor vehicle. For someone that doesn't drink at all, you'd probably notice some speech / coordination issues. For a semi-regular drinker, you likely would not notice at all.

Especially a semi-regular drinker whose drinking behavior is sitting in his seat and reading his book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.