Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger smoked in lav

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: UA Amex
Originally Posted by mdbe
A standard shot if absorbed immediately, which it is not, would yield to about 0.025 bac in a 150lbs man. However more realistically about 0.01 as the avg male will clear about 0.015 per hour. So 6 shots in one hour would lead to about just above the legal limit. So i’m sure he has seen people drink that.
The mini-bottles of spirits they serve on planes are 1.7 oz. A standard “shot” of liquor in a bar is between 7/8 oz and 1 1/8 oz. When you are flying, every serving of spirits is about 1 1/2 servings - which is what the BAC tables use.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
I might start smoking if I had to fly United... which I don't.

Anyway, once upon a time on Virgin Atlantic, LHR to SFO, the FA came over the public address to the entire aircraft and offered an Upper Class upgrade on the next VS flight, if you would turn your seat mate in to the airline for smoking. "Someone was smoking in the lavatory, disabled the smoke detector. If you turn in your seat mate, who probably reeks of cigarette smoke, we will upgrade you to Upper Class for your next Virgin Atlantic flight." I thought that was crafty, and very "virgin atlantic" action in its character.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:29 am

I was on a particularly stressful slight on WN about 2 years ago from JAX to BNA. We had been delayed by storms up north, then again by storms in JAX. so now we're about 4hours delayed. We are about over ATL when a guy in the 3rd or 4th row window seat lights one up! People around him are freaking out and yelling at him and he's smoking this cigarette like it owes him money. The FAs all descend up on him yelling at him but what can they do? By the time anything could be done, he was done with it. I'd say he smoked the whole think in 60 seconds. It was amazing and smelly. He was left alone the rest of the flight (maybe 40 minutes left) and was arrested as soon as we landed.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by hfly
Firstly, pilots legally can smoke in the cockpit on any airline in the World. They might be fired by their airline if it is against that airlines rules, but they face no legal sanction for doing so............because it is actually legal.
Well, "legal"?

Apparently not. Not anymore anyway:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...kpits-domestic

15 days ago the Chinese authorities told the pilots on domestic flights to butt off. They did not appreciate that acrobatic flight from Hong Kong to Dalian because of their habit. China doesn't appreciate losing face.

It is still incredible that they were allowed to smoke at all for so long though. And during my arguing with that FA, they tried to conceal it. Wonder why. Maybe they violated Juneyao's own rules and had no stomach for a "laowai" to raise it with their employer?

I am pretty sure a number of jurisdictions also forbid it - after all, the ICAO prohibited smoking on all international flights years ago, including the pilots. And if the Chinese government, where a LOT of people smoke like chimneys, comes to its senses and forbid the practice in the cockpit, I would expect and hope that at least some countries in the Western world decided to do the same way before the Chinese did.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mwcatl2893
What is “a guest of Qatar”? Honestly, if they throw their “guests” in jail for something like this I do not want their hospitality. Yes, this was not a good situation but a simple, “Sir/Madam, please put away your eCigarette - even these types of cigarettes are not allowed.’ It’s no like this guest went in the lavatory and lit up a real one.
I was wondering about that too, but I understood the post to say that he was a guest of the airline and not the country (which aren't that far from being the same, I guess). My thoughts are that it could be someone who's being recruited for or applying for an executive position with the airline or maybe someone doing consulting work for the airline. Either way, I would guess that the attempt to smoke ended the relationship with Qatar the airline and might have caused him to be banned from Qatar the country if he was arrested/convicted upon arrival.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:50 am

I know of no laws regarding alcohol consumption that require the server to know the body mass of the drinker or their inherent tolerance for alcohol.

There are no exceptions to the 0.08 DUI limit for “ very experienced” drinkers....

After having watched a ‘buzzed’ passenger become sexually aggressive to a woman — especially when she was unable to leave her seat — I have become firmly in favor of two things:

— LOW limits on total alcoholic drinks served on planes. No one *needs* to fly buzzed
— airlines have to be legally and financially liable for the actions of drunk passengers to align their corporate financial interests with passenger safety

Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:24 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Since the thread has long ago moved from a focus on United to discussion of smoking issues on all/any other airlines, the new home for the thread is the TravelBuzz forum. Ocn Vw 1K, for the United Moderator team.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by jburns513

The mini-bottles of spirits they serve on planes are 1.7 oz. A standard “shot” of liquor in a bar is between 7/8 oz and 1 1/8 oz. When you are flying, every serving of spirits is about 1 1/2 servings - which is what the BAC tables use.
Exactly. Six drinks on a plane is about 300ml (10 oz) - almost half a standard sized bottle of vodka or other spirits. That's quite a lot in an hour.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:38 pm

I was once on a flight from LHR to TXL where a FA announced, post takeoff "Anyone found smoking anywhere on the aircraft will be asked to leave the flight immediately"

The absence of an ashtray requires that the lav in question is marked unserviceable. Too many u/s lavs have actually caused, I believe, flights to be cancelled. I'm fairly sure that this was discussed some years ago on the BA forum.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA MIllion Miler, American Platinum
From ORD to EWR with an ashtray

Two years ago on a UA flight from ORD to EWR we were delayed nearly an hour while ground folks tried to find a replacement ashtray for first class toilet. Somehow it had gone missing and they could not fly without it....we had a chuckle....
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Exec club
I’m a heavy smoker and like a few drinks, but smoking in the lavatory a big no.
Funnyly enough when flying long haul I don’t have cravings until landing, drunk or not is not excuse to smoke in the lavatory.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mcrace
Two years ago on a UA flight from ORD to EWR we were delayed nearly an hour while ground folks tried to find a replacement ashtray for first class toilet. Somehow it had gone missing and they could not fly without it....we had a chuckle....
For that short of a flight couldn't they have just kept it locked and send F pax to the rear lav
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:12 pm

I hope that passenger mentioned in the original post gets the maximum $25,000 fine. First offense? That is all it could take. In 1983 Air Canada Flight 797, en route from DFW to YUL via YYZ, had a disaster thanks to a lavatory fire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Canada_Flight_797

As a result of this accident and other incidents of in-flight fires on passenger aircraft, the NTSB issued several recommendations to the FAA, including:
- the installation of that emergency lighting we all get briefed on during safety talk (at or near the floor; at least some passengers who died on 797 got disoriented in the thick smoke and couldn't find their way out.)
- Safety Recommendation A-83-70, which asked the FAA to expedite actions to require smoke detectors in lavatories, and various other recommendations. (see Wikipedia link above.)

One of the people who died was folk singer Stan Rogers, all of 33 years old. Here's to you, Stan, we lost you far too soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVY8LoM47xI

ajGoes and DragonSoul like this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:39 pm

wish he would get the fine
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by mdbe
A standard shot if absorbed immediately, which it is not, would yield to about 0.025 bac in a 150lbs man. However more realistically about 0.01 as the avg male will clear about 0.015 per hour. So 6 shots in one hour would lead to about just above the legal limit. So i’m sure he has seen people drink that.
That's the first shot. The second is also .025 with no additional clearing, so 4 shots is .10 less .015 clearing = .085.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.