Reload this Page >

discrimination against solo travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

discrimination against solo travellers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:27 pm

I’m never given a bad table in a restaurant because I won’t allow it. Often, I think it’s down to how you carry yourself when you enter the establishment. If they lead you to a dark corner by the ladies room, just say “No, this won’t do.”
This has worked for me for ages. No need to be nasty or haughty, just confident.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member

Those aren’t even remotely close to some of the extravagances on this forum.
arcticflier likes this.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Feb 15, 2019 at 7:44 am Reason: removed quote that was deleted by its author
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gringa
I’m never given a bad table in a restaurant because I won’t allow it. Often, I think it’s down to how you carry yourself when you enter the establishment. If they lead you to a dark corner by the ladies room, just say “No, this won’t do.”
This has worked for me for ages. No need to be nasty or haughty, just confident.
This. I have no trouble asking for what I would like in a restaurant, including a better table. If the answer is no, then I am free to leave. It is very rare that I am not happy with the table they offer me though.
CDTraveler and Gringa like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by emma69
This. I have no trouble asking for what I would like in a restaurant, including a better table. If the answer is no, then I am free to leave. It is very rare that I am not happy with the table they offer me though.
I remember once being solo and going into a Red Lobster in Tucson (it was the only place near the hotel). The hostess brought me past dozens of empty tables and tried to sit me at a table beside a family with a screming toddler. I asked her flat out to be seated away from that child, and she looked at me like I was making her day harder..probably was, because they try to seat by server sections..but that's not MY problem. MY problem was that I didn't want to be close to a screaming toddler. But if you don't ask, you don't get.
CDTraveler likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gwynedd_gal
Solo travelers take up the space of two people but only provide the revenue of one. So of course you get a supplementary charge on cruises and the worst table in a restaurant.

What I object to is being a solo female traveler and the treatment I get.
1. Some restaurants don't want single females and ditto bars. You are viewed as soliciting for pay-to-play male company
2. You get the WORST hotel room always. I've been on trips with our company in groups, and because I'm single, I invariably get the view of the carpark or the back alley. Finally once, in Florence, I objected. I learned to speak enough Italian in two days to tell the concierge that my room smelled of cigar smoke from the alley below and I was done with it. I got moved. What a revelation; all the rooms were larger and had double sinks. And air without smoke.
3. You get the seat next to the infant and some flight attendant smirking at you "you won't mind will you?" and the kid throws eggs all over your silk suit and you have a speech in Tokyo the minute you deplane and can't change.
4. If you are tall and a woman, you are viewed as not having any right to complain about crushed knees on planes "The MAN wants to recline, chided a flight attendant." I got bruised knees for his wishes.
Wow, 13 years on FT and this finally inspired you to post!

I can't say I've ever felt discriminated against as a solo traveler. I always request a room away from the elevators so there's less foot traffic outside my room and I get more walking in.
arcticflier and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I remember once being solo and going into a Red Lobster in Tucson (it was the only place near the hotel). The hostess brought me past dozens of empty tables and tried to sit me at a table beside a family with a screming toddler. I asked her flat out to be seated away from that child, and she looked at me like I was making her day harder..probably was, because they try to seat by server sections..but that's not MY problem. MY problem was that I didn't want to be close to a screaming toddler. But if you don't ask, you don't get.
I'm pretty easy going about where I'm seated in a restaurant but I don't accept tables next to screaming children if there are other open tables. I don't really care if this makes life harder for the hostess or offends the kid's parents. But, I don't think this has anything to do with solo travel since I've had to deal with the same situation when eating with others.
CDTraveler likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
Originally Posted by gwynedd_gal
Solo travelers take up the space of two people but only provide the revenue of one. So of course you get a supplementary charge on cruises and the worst table in a restaurant.

What I object to is being a solo female traveler and the treatment I get.
1. Some restaurants don't want single females and ditto bars. You are viewed as soliciting for pay-to-play male company
2. You get the WORST hotel room always. I've been on trips with our company in groups, and because I'm single, I invariably get the view of the carpark or the back alley. Finally once, in Florence, I objected. I learned to speak enough Italian in two days to tell the concierge that my room smelled of cigar smoke from the alley below and I was done with it. I got moved. What a revelation; all the rooms were larger and had double sinks. And air without smoke.
3. You get the seat next to the infant and some flight attendant smirking at you "you won't mind will you?" and the kid throws eggs all over your silk suit and you have a speech in Tokyo the minute you deplane and can't change.
4. If you are tall and a woman, you are viewed as not having any right to complain about crushed knees on planes "The MAN wants to recline, chided a flight attendant." I got bruised knees for his wishes.
I actually had a good experience once as a solo female. I was travelling with a friend and we stopped in Key West for a few nights during a swing through Florida. One day she wanted to go somewhere far from the hotel to watch the sun set. All I wanted was a leisurely meal followed by a soak in the pool. We went our separate ways and I went to this French place, convinced them it was only me, and was given a nice table. When the menu came it become clear it was pricey, and naturally I had a hankering for the most expensive thing in the menu. I wasn't going to get it, but at the last minute I decided, What the hell, I hadn't really spent that much on food this trip. I got it and it was great. She brings the check and informs me that because I am dining alone in is 30% off!!!! NEVER do I have that kind of luck.. If I am ever back in Key West I will go to that place, whether I am alone or not. Banana Cafe.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Sometimes I feel like I live in a different planet from the rest of you.

- 80% of my hotel stays are solo. I've never seen this result in getting the "WORST" hotel room. I'm guilty of the common FT whinge - a lack of upgrades - but I don't believe the hotels I visit alter their room selection for me based on the number of guests I book for. I get the same not-a-suite when I check in with my wife and/or kids.

- There are some restaurants I'd probably avoid as a solo diner, but when I do go into a place I've never noticed poor treatment. I tend to aim for sushi when I'm doing a solo meal on a business trip, and they can often get you right in as a single. Sit down, chat with the chef a bit, and usually get really nice treatment.

- People can try the seat-swap game with me on a flight, but am pretty consistent in the answer I give. Accommodating if it is a thoughtful request that results in me getting an equal or slightly better seat. I'm not overly picky - I consider one aisle seat in the general area of another aisle seat equal unless there's some obvious difference in the seats. But I'm not accommodating if the people proposing the swap are using it to try to get better seats for themselves. It's not that I'm greedy, it's just that I would personally never approach someone and ask them to take the worse seat. I'll offer up my better seat in exchange for their worse one - or I just won't ask.

- I'm not a woman, so if people assume that solo business travelers are in *that* industry, I've never noticed it. I travel with female colleagues all the time and have not personally witnessed this, nor heard them complain about problems if they happened to be the first person to show up at a hotel or dinner location. I've sat next to women at hotel bars many times, had completely normal conversations with them about whatever, and not seen others either approaching for "services" or thinking I was doing the same. Maybe I go to the wrong hotels?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
Originally Posted by pinniped
Sometimes I feel like I live in a different planet from the rest of you.
Thats Gold Jerry. Gold.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

On Southwest they asking for a solo traveller (literally 'travelling by yourself') with a free center seat willing to move for a mom and her child.
Why discriminate like that?
Are people unable to move if they are seated next to someone they know?

It ended up two men travelling together moved.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I don't want to do the FT equivalent of crossing the beams or anything, but are solo travelers on B or C lists at weddings?
trooper and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by s0ssos
On Southwest they asking for a solo traveller (literally 'travelling by yourself') with a free center seat willing to move for a mom and her child.
I've flown probably 500 solo Southwest flights and never been asked by the airline to change seats so that other travelers could sit together. I always choose aisle on Southwest, and would consider moving to another aisle seat, but have simply never been asked. I wouldn't have any issues saying no to a worse seat and seriously doubt Southwest would be willing to IDB me for it.

About once a year, I'll be on a WN flight where the FA gets on the intercom and says "we have a late-boarding family with a small child...anyone willing to move in exchange for free drinks?" That usually does it - everybody's happy. If they were forcing travelers to move to accommodate children, I would think at least one of those situations would have blown up into a big news story with a viral video by now.

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I don't want to do the FT equivalent of crossing the beams or anything, but are solo travelers on B or C lists at weddings?
LOL. We invited lots of single people to our wedding (all invited to bring their significant other of course). A few people came solo and sat with other friends. We didn't do assigned seating so we didn't have an opportunity to stick 'em at a small table by the toilets and then ask them to swap seats with a family with children halfway through the meal.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Are people unable to move if they are seated next to someone they know?
It ended up two men travelling together moved.
We have always been responsible for our own itineraries; however, some years back this task was relegated to some travel agent who thought (or perhaps did not think at all) it best to try and seat our co-workers next to each other on flights. Fortunately, it was short-lived and we were once again made responsible for our own bookings and never coordinated them with associates.

If two business associates were stuck sitting next to each other on that Southwest flight, I can only imagine they leapt at the chance to switch seats under the guise of helping a mother and child.

I know I would have.
trooper and nancypants like this.

Last edited by arcticflier; Mar 14, 2019 at 5:07 pm
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
I hadn't given this much thought but on a solo stay at a Hilton i had booked for two guests. The breakfast benefit was a Starbucks voucher and i ended up with two of those. Ever since i make sure to reserve for two guests on solo trips if there is no price difference.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by invisible
Accommodation prices depends on number of people occupied the room in number of counties. In moust counties in EU and as well in NZ and AU even at AirBNB you are charged person, not per room.

I am talking about ordinary/budget hotels. I never stay at 5*/luxury places
only as a way of advertising a lower price. Advertise a single rate & then charge extra for 2nd person. Some hotels will go the way of ULCCs, where you pay for everything, as a way of advertising the lowest price.

Noticed on ebay, some cunning sellers are selling a geroup of items, one of which is what you searched for. In price order, the cheapest is selling something very cheaply but it's not what you searched. The item you searched is more expensive, sometimes substantially.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.