discrimination against solo travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

discrimination against solo travellers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mikeschemm
Even if I travel solo, I always reserve for two at hotels if the price is the same. I usually go to events where I might know some of the people. Reserving as 2 gives me the option of taking someone to breakfast, or sometimes even deciding to share the room with someone I already know. Why on earth put one on the original reservation if everything is the same price for two?
If the hotel room is being reimbursed, having two guests on the receipt could casue questions (or laughter).
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 7Continents
Alas FT has become more of a chit chat club rather than the informational resource it once was. Most of the originals have moved on to their own blogs.
Nope. FT actively encourages this. Have you seen the forum page when you aren't logged in? It asks you to make a post. Any question, no matter how stupid. Don't bother searching, just post!

Long-term users hate stupid questions that have been addressed over and over again. Many real issues cannot be discussed on FT, because the people in charge don't allow it. Some they allow in OMNI, some they just don't allow. And for some of the great information there is code and key words and a long learning period so the people in charge don't like that, as it doesn't attract new users/views/advertising dollars (classic example is fuel dump thread).
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrpallante
I realize this post was probably tongue-in-cheek, but I sense some selfishness, which might explain why some people consistently find themselves traveling alone.

To begin, there is often little relationship between cost and price, but this is not the venue for a discussion of basic economics. Most hotel amenities are not offered on an a-la-carte basis. They offer the whole package to all guests, who then choose which amenities they want to enjoy. Some people use the pool, some don't. Some use the fitness center, some don't. Same goes for the business center, breakfast buffet, evening reception, parking lot, etc. If you feel you have suffered an injustice by only getting one breakfast when your neighbor got two, then perhaps you will find solace in using more than your share of the other amenities?

As for volunteering to change seats with somebody on a plane, I am heartened to observe that most people find it personally rewarding to perform acts of kindness for their fellow human beings, particularly when there is no cost or burden to the good-deed-doer (to steal a phrase from Oz!). Do you also object to holding a door open for somebody pushing a stroller, or carrying a heavy package?
I don't think you travel a lot. If you do, you would realize that it is pretty near impossible to not travel alone sometimes.

In terms of "fairness", there is a question of whether people should get what they need versus what they want. Is it fair that the family of 5 gets crammed into a sedan when the solo traveller gets a Ford Expedition? Does it depend what they reserved? Should it be dependent on how the rental car agent feels?
If we are allowed to be slobs and selfish (as most companies nowadays encourage us to be) then why shouldn't we get what we want? Or, if you take the opposite direction, you have an obligation to help others. Like opening the door for someone pushing a stroller or carrying a heavy package. What about a man who is carrying a few packages versus a lady who is holding a baby? I bet the lady gets the door opened more often for her than the man. Is that fair?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA AA
Never seem to want to swap for better seat

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
It's not really a "free" breakfast. It is baked into the price of the room or the extra mysterious fees. I suppose if a group of 4 is one room and are not paying a per person rate, they get more.

For me, it's the presumption that those with companions outrank those flying solo when it comes to seat swaps. Not in this day and age of seat selection fees and extra revenue seats.

Besides, I don't care about your companions or your family. Take it up with the airline.

The biggest issue I have with people wanting to swap seats is that they never seem to want to swap for the better of the two seats. The want to keep the better seat in E+ and have you go back to sit in row 32.
DutchessPDX likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tbuccelli
The biggest issue I have with people wanting to swap seats is that they never seem to want to swap for the better of the two seats. The want to keep the better seat in E+ and have you go back to sit in row 32.
Just say no.
VoiceActor and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:14 pm

Park Hyatt Beaver Creek

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak

I could be wrong but I think we had a breakfast buffet one or two days in the executive club at the Hilton Park Lane in London a couple months ago. Most days we went out for breakfast, The Wolseley, St John Bread and Wine and some others. But on the days we stayed in a bit I thought it was a buffet.
They have a lovely buffet at the Park Hyatt Beaver Creek - i think it could be purchased for $50 or so. It was great that it was "free" for wife, 4 kids, and myself due to diamond status. Then again, they changed that a few years back I believe.

Now, granted, Hyatt is still a chain, but not that bad.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I don't think you travel a lot. If you do, you would realize that it is pretty near impossible to not travel alone sometimes.

In terms of "fairness", there is a question of whether people should get what they need versus what they want. Is it fair that the family of 5 gets crammed into a sedan when the solo traveller gets a Ford Expedition? Does it depend what they reserved? Should it be dependent on how the rental car agent feels?
If we are allowed to be slobs and selfish (as most companies nowadays encourage us to be) then why shouldn't we get what we want? Or, if you take the opposite direction, you have an obligation to help others. Like opening the door for someone pushing a stroller or carrying a heavy package. What about a man who is carrying a few packages versus a lady who is holding a baby? I bet the lady gets the door opened more often for her than the man. Is that fair?

jesus wept what is this?! I travel on my own around 95% of the time. I’ve never received a worse room, or not been able to get sufficient breakfast or amenities. I usually pay slightly less for my room as the rate takes it into account. The times I’ve accidentally booked a room for 2 i’ve been questioned on check in and then about 50% of the time either refunded some money or given some benefit in lieu
i steer clear of things like cruises and multi day tours because the single supplements there are beyond what I am willing to pay

i’m not seeing any discrimination although I see this thread seems to be turning into a good old fashioned men vs women debate that makes us all poorer

if places are not offering you value as a solo traveller, take your business elsewhere!

TL;DR- non issue
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Just say no.
I do - it just seems very self centered that the question would be asked. If I am offered a "worse" seat, I generally suggest they offer to switch the other way....
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
They have a lovely buffet at the Park Hyatt Beaver Creek - i think it could be purchased for $50 or so. It was great that it was "free" for wife, 4 kids, and myself due to diamond status. Then again, they changed that a few years back I believe.

Now, granted, Hyatt is still a chain, but not that bad.
Now that you mention expensive buffets I remembered another one. The Intercontinental in GVA had a Sunday buffet brunch when I stayed there a few years ago that was about $90. Also a chain, but this was rather high end.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:13 pm

I do - it just seems very self centered that the question would be asked. If I am offered a "worse" seat, I generally suggest they offer to switch the other way....
....and of course the couple or family says no, so they really just wanted better seats and not so much to sit together.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Japanese hotel pricing might be more to the OP’s liking
A room for a solo traveler in Tokyo/Osaka etc. may be one of the best deals for a major city. I usually can find a place for under ¥8,000 (USD 70).

On the other hand, families have to pay a steep price in Japan, especially when compared to the US, where a family of four can sleep on 2 queens for the same price as a single traveler.

Also, in Japan kids may be charged full price from age 6, or perhaps from age 12, depending on the place.

Single 8,000
Double 12,000
Triple 23,000 or just get two twins for 24,0000
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Not talking about cruises and single supplements, nor restaurants with different seating policies, but just hotels.

You pay the same amount as another person, who has 2 or more. And yet you get less benefits.

Breakfast benefit? Only for one person. Even though supposedly it is "free breakfast" and not a discount. What if it is a tiny amount and you want two portions? Or if it is a food and beverage credit?
i see what you're saying, but i don't think i would be seeing it this way.

but anyway, we have stupid deal in england.
it's for a supermarket restaurant.
for 1 person, a meal a drink is $8, but for 2 adults and 2 kids it is $12 total.
Seriously? I hope their profits are tanking. The woman seemed really smug about it, so we just took our custom elsewhere.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by wendyg
In the UK for a lot of travel there's a "single supplement" - they openly actually charge single individuals more for the same trip/hotel room/whatever. I guess from they're point of view they're still making less money than they would from a couple, but it's annoying nonetheless.
Conversely, some places charge extra to have the same amount of people in the same room.

Years ago, I caught up with 2 friends in Rome and ended up crashing in their hotel room; we were sternly asked to pay an extra 50 euros for that.

Originally Posted by gwynedd_gal
I got bruised knees for his wishes.
Giggity giggity
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I have had quite a different experience at restaurants. At Hayes Street Grill in SFO, for instance, the maitre de commented that he was giving me a good table for a single diner and it was indeed. Likewise at the Zuni Cafe, also in SFO, they told me that they can almost always fit in a single diner. And last week at Balthazar in NYC they gave me a great table for a single and they have before.

I have done a ton of mileage runs and solo business trips and never seen anything resembling what is being discussed here,

I can't believe this is a thread.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Oooommmmm.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:13 pm

Life would be so much less stressful if we didn't worry about things that are out of our control and instead focused on things we can control. If I'm at a chain hotel and there's no difference in price for 1 person or 2, I'm not going to scream about it - out of my control. I put down 2. Sometimes, if I'm not on a "club or lounge" floor I may ask if they can give me access to the club, since I'm only one. Asking the question IS under my control. If the hotel isn't empty and the lounge isn't tiny they often do, if you're nice. Front desk people have to deal with all sorts of crap. Being nice goes a long way. Most times when I'm only going to be in a city for one night I'll seek out small hotels that DO have single rooms. Yes, they're much smaller and they have single beds but they're often in great areas in beautiful older buildings and some of them are wonderful. I'm going to be there one night - and I'll be asleep. Who cares how big the room is? I want the door locks to work and the room to be clean.

There's a simple answer to being asked to swap seats on a plane. A polite no, thank you. Don't fault people for asking. And if you're uncomfortable saying no or feel that simply being asked puts you in an uncomfortable position well, you need to work on that. That's under your control. You can't censor people around your sensibilities. Out of your control.

I'm considering going on a journey (it won't be a trip it'll be a journey) with a group of people next year. There is a hefty single travelers premium. I'm totally against them in principal, so I'm not going to buy into it. I'm not going to change their business practices so instead of getting my shorts into a knot about it I'm just going to see if I can simply catch up with the group. Can't get onto the bus? No prob. I'll rent a car. Prefer that anyway. Can't stay at their hotel? No prob. I'll find my own nearby. As long as I can be where we're supposed to be for the particular things we're going for, I'm happy winging it. I'll have a better adventure too.
nancypants and Hilde like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.