Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Spouse - check-in issue - Front Desk Police

Spouse - check-in issue - Front Desk Police

Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's not "our" account. Starriott doesn't offer family accounts.
I am always prepared for a hotel to not give my wife benefits/amenities if I am not there......but in all these years it's never happened. Most times I arrive later as we frequently have to travel separately. Other times it's a softball weekend where I'm staying home and am never coming.

I agree with this -- if a hotel chooses to follow the rules to the letter, then you smile and accept it.....then make a mental note to choose another hotel when you're in the area.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Obviously OP did not stay there else I am sure he could have asked for the Platinum Amenity later and he seems to be abusing the leniency showed by Marriott for a long time. When booking on Points for others, you do not have an option but to put your name on it and have the Marriott Rep add the actual person's name in the comment and so in those cases, it could be ok. But, when paying cash/credit Marriott should not allow customers to book on other people's name when the other person has no intention of showing up. This is bad for everyone except obviously the perpetrator and their partner in act.
Fizzer and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by davidsc111
I suspect your wife got caught in a little white lie saying you would be there later... and it escalated from there.
Originally Posted by Redhead
I would guess that perhaps your wife got testy when they said no.
Almost certainly the wife responded harshly along the lines of "I do this all of the time, who the f--- do you think you are".

Just think of all of the times you've overhead conversations in a hotel lobby of a guest being an a$$ and staff doing their best, but sometimes failing, to be polite. Compare that to the number of times you've heard a perfectly calm, pleasant guest receive abuse from the staff. Those staff tend to lose their jobs, not get backed up by their manager...
DJ_Iceman and est-gratuite like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If OP has indeed committed fraud, his wife will just have to swallow the indignity of a supposedly rude front desk staff. Complaining may well open a can of worms which leads to a determination that he has abused his account.
dw, Redhead and Fizzer like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:27 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Did this few times at SPG and Fairmonts properties. With my cousin staying on 2nd room or parents.

most of the time, simple email to the hotel advising xxxx will be checking in on my behalf is sufficient.
For plt benefit however the hotel only extend that after I show up.
Unfortunately, a "simple email to the hotel" is not so simple in the world of Marriott since Marriott has stripped hotel email addresses from their website.
RTWFF and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
There are things that a hotel can do where I just don't think it really benefits anyone, including a hotel.

This is one of those things. Asking to see a AAA card (yes, I carry mine) is another.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
I make award stay reservations for my son and his wife several times each year. Since I am unable to change the name on the reservation, I place the following in the comments box of the reservation: "Award Reservation gift for my son <first name> <last name>." I always make sure he has a printed copy of the reservation showing such notation in case of problems at the front desk. He says he has never had a problem in checking in by giving my name with his ID and his credit card. He also says he has never been asked questions and has never had to use the printed document to prove the intent of the reservation. Yes YMMV but that seems to work for me. Maybe I've been lucky.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by CIT85
This is where the Hilton website is nice, allowing for second person name and comment field.
Or the ability to sort by price!
Or the ability to search for more than one rate at once.
Or the ability, when searching for multiple rooms, to put different numbers of people in each room and even select different room types.
Or the ability to use a search radius. Not just 0-5, 5-15, and 15-50.

Not to mention all the times lately the Marriott server has been "stubborn" with me.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Why should property be pleasant to a random person whose name is not on reservation and who is not a plat member?
​​
Indeed. Outrageous to expect the front desk to be pleasant to a random person.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Almost certainly the wife responded harshly along the lines of "I do this all of the time, who the f--- do you think you are".
What a very mean spirited assumption.

Even if it’s true the front desk has the responsibility of being courteous and professional.

Also, in my travels, I see 100 rude staffers for every 1 rude customer.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by ohmark
Indeed. Outrageous to expect the front desk to be pleasant to a random person.
Yep. OP’s wife was lucky for not being flogged for daring to randomly show up at a front desk with a reservation for herself but in her husband’s name.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
My wife often checks into our hotel rooms, without me present at the desk, Let's say I have dropped her off and parked the car, she got to town before me, or (god forbid) I am not there at all.
We all know the check in rules so the problem here is OP. I'm also getting the feeling this is about your wife being impatient and her attitude towards service staff not getting what she demands while she's doing a DYKWIA.
How about she wait for you while you park the car? She's so stressed out she can't wait for you while you park the car? Jesus.
est-gratuite likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I think it's time to declare we are in a new game now with the merger and some properties playing their own game. Just because they used to do something does not mean they must continue doing it forever. Marriott property auditors may be coming down on properties being too free with giving away the benefits when not called for. On a onesy twosy basis may not amount to much, but multiplied by hundreds of abuser can get quite costly and Marriott is now seeing the investors as their primary customer and not those of us staying in properties. Wipe the slate clean and start building new experiences.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Often1
It appears that the "rudeness" was that neither the front desk clerk nor his manager would permit OP's wife to check-in because she did not have a reservation. OP has not supplied any details of what was said and why that was inappropriate. If either property employee said something inappropriate, that is an entirely separate issue. But, if all they did is firmly enforce the clearcut rules (even if OP has successfully violated them in the past), there is no basis for a complaint.

Bottom line is that when one breaks the rules, one may be pleased that it usually works, but can't complain when one doesn't. If this was not worth a call, email, live chat to the property to let them know that OP himself would not be staying at the property, it is not worth a complaint later.
Agree.
DJ_Iceman and DFWsakp like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
In my experience, I've had a GF arrive before me and check in without a problem because I have added their name to the reservation before I arrived. I think that's pretty normal when people are flying in from different places.

That being said, there was one stay where the property was rude to a GF, told her she couldn't get lounge access until I arrived and gave her a pretty crappy room. I'd be shocked if the GF wasn't very polite and the FD had an attitude with me later when I arrived a couple of hour later.

That being said, I don't know any basis to complain. Its just one of those things that sometimes happens.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.