Opinion on deplaning etiquette?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Opinion on deplaning etiquette?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by LTBoston
That irritates me. It always involves some complicated contortion where they shove their way forward holding their suitcase over their head, almost like it's some kind of signal that they're reclaiming their "rightful" place in line.

I also get irritated at the backpack-wearers who insist on strapping themselves into their contraption when the individuals directly behind them are being pushed forward by the queue, thus squishing me from both sides!
I was a backpacker once! And my older sisters who had also been backpackers drummed into me that a backpack is ne'er worn on one's back in any form of transport (bus, train, aeroplane), nor in stairwells or narrow corridors. One holds the backpack in front.

I wonder if the backpackers of this modern age know this? Perhaps we need a #packerquette instagram hashtag.
prncess674, farci, polinka and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by akl_traveller
I was a backpacker once! And my older sisters who had also been backpackers drummed into me that a backpack is ne'er worn on one's back in any form of transport (bus, train, aeroplane), nor in stairwells or narrow corridors. One holds the backpack in front.

I wonder if the backpackers of this modern age know this? Perhaps we need a #packerquette instagram hashtag.
They don't. Not only do they enter the aircraft fully strapped, they also twist and swivel about, blithely chatting with their companions as they look for their seats--completely oblivious to the seated passengers they're bashing in the face. This is particularly unpleasant when it's been raining out and the backpack is a soggy mess.
VaBeachGirl and Franky16 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Auston
If passengers have a reason to get off quickly (e.g., tight connection, emergency, etc.), it is up to them to politely explain their situation and ask those ahead if they would mind letting them proceed. Most of the time, other passengers will understand the request and let them advance.
On what aircraft is there room, perhaps other than in first class, is there room for a passenger with baggage to pass another passenger in the aisle?

I've occasionally been on a flight where the CA made a request, particularly if the landing is a bit late, to allow passengers with tight connections to deplane first. Sometimes it's honored, sometimes it isn't.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:09 am
gay

Maybe the couple was in hurry to get off because they were going to have booty leakage or blow chunks. I'd let them through. Now if it was a rock concert, that would be another story.
Proudelitist likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by jah718
Yes! Before I lived in China, I thought I had a good idea of what rudeness was but I literally had no idea. China is like a whole other level of rude that I just had no idea existed.
You don't even have to be in China to experience it - I'm 6'1 and pretty big and they were trying to push me around at various tourist attractions in Rome.
windscar, strickerj and smc333 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:29 am

I know when I fly business, the FAs block economy passengers from moving forward prior to First and Business getting off. It seems to me, that this would have solved a myriad of problems. AND yes, I can "push back" when someone tries to push past me. AND I am a female of average size!
Franky16 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by LTBoston
That irritates me. It always involves some complicated contortion where they shove their way forward holding their suitcase over their head, almost like it's some kind of signal that they're reclaiming their "rightful" place in line.

I also get irritated at the backpack-wearers who insist on strapping themselves into their contraption when the individuals directly behind them are being pushed forward by the queue, thus squishing me from both sides!
What IS the proper etiquette in this position? I once had to put my bag about 4-5 rows back of me (I was in E+). It was too far back to ask for someone to get it for me. So I popped up quickly, got it down, apologized to the person right under the overhead compartment, and stood in line at that point, where the bag had been, to exit with that further back row (and grab my coat on my way past my own seat). I got yelled at by someone who said I was bothering people and taking up their space in the aisle. I think their idea was that I should have waited for the whole plane to empty, and then go get it. I admired their self-righteousness and wondered what else I could or should have done.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: CO
Lacking any other Government regulations you want to have written for this situation (hopefully NONE) and tight connections, I find it logical that people exit by row and seat, from A-Z, or there about. It avoids this type of stupid "I'm the most important person on the plane" status that floats insides someones head.

That's just me. I hope the airlines don't start new procedures that will only slow down the process.

And I certainly hope they don't start charging for the privilege to be the first 15 passengers to exit. ha!
Franky16 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum BAEC Silver
Pretty sure the airlines will monetize this at some point. Main Cabin Extra Plus with the added benefit of deplaning first.
On the etiquette issue though - I’ve noticed more and more pax filling up overheads far forward from their actual seats - especially those in better groups. They get up and just walk forward before anyone’s had a chance to get their own bags out from the overhead above their own seat.
In this particular situation though, the plane landed early so there was no justifiable reason for them to have to deplane quickly for a connection.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: AA 4.0 MM Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by bergamini
I went on a MR to PVG in 2017 and even just staying at the airport hotel, I was a bit startled as I was cut in front of in line and people were loudly interrupting the agents when they were working with other customers.
Germany.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: UAL
...and those who need more time

yes, deplaning is the worst...but doesn't it make sense that those who "need more time boarding" wait for the plane to empty before they crawl/limp/roll
into the aisle (hopefully they don't have an impossibly tight connection). They obviously need more time deplaning but I never hear the FA ask them to wait and have been behind veeeerrrrryyyy slow moving exiting passengers. (two other notes: love the airports where you can exit both ends of the plane and my back-pack is much more maneuverable than your roller bag)
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerWx
I had a similar experience in CDG a few years ago. We were about an hour late, and people were rushing off the plane to try to make their connection. Unfortunately, we had a bus gate, so their efforts were fruitless. This one lady had her connecting flight boarding pass out and when the bus finally arrived at the K concourse, she showed people and said "tight connection" and kinda shoved her way off the bus first. I'm not sure the 30 seconds would make any difference to a now 30 minute connection while still having to clear immigration.

I felt bad for them more than anything -- I would hate missing my connection and would try to make it, even though I have almost no chance of it.

On the whole though, I have found that the typical deplaning etiquette applies: front-to back.
This brings some memories....Some years ago, in what I thought at the time to be a "genius" move: Get from IAH to CMN in a single day at a super low cost. I landed in LHR to take an easyJet to CMN via MAD, with 30 minutes between landing time and departure to the next flight.....Half way in the flight I realized I would have to pick up by backpack from the carrousel -checked in- go thru customs in MAD (on a non-EU passport, had a US at the time) and then run to the easyJet counter in MAD to check it in (too big to be carry on). I was already resigned to spend the night (only 1 flight a day, assuming there would be space in the next) when we landed in MAD about 5 minutes ahead of schedule. Waited for people to deplane, run to the luggage pickup hoping my backpack was already there -it was!- run thru customs and then to the easyJet counter before the close the flight...No sure how, but I made the connection with 1-2 minutes to spare....
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
Originally Posted by ozone
What IS the proper etiquette in this position? I once had to put my bag about 4-5 rows back of me (I was in E+). It was too far back to ask for someone to get it for me. So I popped up quickly, got it down, apologized to the person right under the overhead compartment, and stood in line at that point, where the bag had been, to exit with that further back row (and grab my coat on my way past my own seat). I got yelled at by someone who said I was bothering people and taking up their space in the aisle. I think their idea was that I should have waited for the whole plane to empty, and then go get it. I admired their self-righteousness and wondered what else I could or should have done.
What should you have done?

Maybe respected the suggestion of that self-righteous person and waited until others had de-boarded.

Thats the penalty for boarding late and having to stow your carry-on aft of your seat assignment.

I once saw this occur and a fellow pax attempted to be helpful and hand forward the carry-on and the owner became very agitated that someone handled their carry-on.

Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:20 pm

We only fly internationally IAD>LHR non-stop on holiday so we're not in a rush and stay seated while the hordes stampede the aisles .We're generally the last 4-5 people off the plane. Flying this route for almost 20 years have seen little rudeness thankfully.

I can see where flying on business would be more fraught though. Having to make a tight connection would add to the trauma.

It goes without saying that pushing and shoving are always inappropriate especially in a confined space.
strickerj and Franky16 like this.

Last edited by stickytoffee; Feb 26, 2019 at 7:23 pm Reason: grammar
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:57 am

Programs: AA UA Delta
Exclamation

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
I am a big guy. I usually try to book the last row in first and the aisle seat.

I am big enough to block the whole aisle…

I generally get up quickly, step back a step or two, get my bag down and then stand there until the pax in the window seat has a chance to get out and get their bags. And if there any folks closer to the front trapped in a window seat I stop let them out first. DO NOT try to push me out of the way…

I hate being in the window seat and then have to wait for break in the stampede of folks from coach rushing off the plane like they are going to a fire.
Fair enough - but do keep in mind that in some countries and cultures (and this took me a while to get accustomed to, not easy) such as in India, pushing while in line is considered the polite thing to do, it *is* the etiquette to push while in line there. :-)

(but if it is a couple of Americans behaving poorly, go ahead, block away!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.