Opinion on deplaning etiquette?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Opinion on deplaning etiquette?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
I am a big guy. I usually try to book the last row in first and the aisle seat.

I am big enough to block the whole aisle…

I generally get up quickly, step back a step or two, get my bag down and then stand there until the pax in the window seat has a chance to get out and get their bags. And if there any folks closer to the front trapped in a window seat I stop let them out first. DO NOT try to push me out of the way…

I hate being in the window seat and then have to wait for break in the stampede of folks from coach rushing off the plane like they are going to a fire.

Last edited by longing4piedmont; Jan 26, 2019 at 9:30 am
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont

I generally get up quickly, step back a step or two, get my bag down and then stand there until the pax in the window seat has a chance to get out and get their bags. And if there any folks closer to the front trapped in a window seat I stop let them out first. DO NOT try to push me out of the way…

I hate being in the window seat and then have to wait for break in the stampede on folks from coach rushing off the plan like they are going to a fire.
Well that did not take very long for the internet “tough” guy to show up. The protector of the plane aisle has arrived! Three cheers!
User Name and Franky16 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:21 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Thank you for your service

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont

I hate being in the window seat and then have to wait for break in the stampede on folks from coach rushing off the plan like they are going to a fire.
clbish, Bearbear and Franky16 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:32 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

As this is not Delta-Specific, I am moving thread to Travel Buzz
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
lasfloras likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by bergamini
I've found, by and large, that on my domestic flights people are much better about deplaning than boarding. They wait their turn in line and often there's a debate saying "you go first", "no you go." With that said, I did have an exception on MKE>LGA last month where a person of a certain generation we all love to mock, aggressively pushed through from Y through C+ and then to the front of F to deplane first. None of us were big enough to block the aisle and most of us were from WI so we really didn't care that much. It's a CR7 and there were gate checked bags. As I got off the plane, I saw her waiting for her gate checked bag. As I went by her I said "Did you literally just push past 15 people to stand in line waiting for a bag? Rude!" She didn't make eye contact or acknowledge me. And I wasn't overly hostile, more sarcastic and said in passing, though she definitely heard me as I saw her face go flush. Oh well, hopefully she don't do it again.
I had a similar experience in CDG a few years ago. We were about an hour late, and people were rushing off the plane to try to make their connection. Unfortunately, we had a bus gate, so their efforts were fruitless. This one lady had her connecting flight boarding pass out and when the bus finally arrived at the K concourse, she showed people and said "tight connection" and kinda shoved her way off the bus first. I'm not sure the 30 seconds would make any difference to a now 30 minute connection while still having to clear immigration.

I felt bad for them more than anything -- I would hate missing my connection and would try to make it, even though I have almost no chance of it.

On the whole though, I have found that the typical deplaning etiquette applies: front-to back.
Franky16 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe she was an infrequent traveler who was forced unexpectedly to gate check the bag and then realized too late that it contained valuables, so that she wanted to be sure to be present when he bag was delivered.
Your holiday spirit comes a month too late!
Franky16 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:03 pm

Why cant we exit using the front and rear doors with airlines making billions of dollars yet refusing to upgrade terminals
JBinVT and Franky16 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
To me, its fairly standard to stand up asap and let the other passengers within my row exit while I happily block the aisle. It's common courtesy if you ask me. I sometimes have tight connections, but a few seconds won't make a difference. Guess I'm still a gentleman and still hold the door for others as well. I'm aware of those that have bags further back, and I help with that as well. Never had someone not do the same for me.
clbish, obscure2k, MaxBuck and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by davetravels
OP: Was the plane late arriving?

Not that it excuses blatant rudeness.... Just curious.
No sir, arrived 16 mins earlier than scheduled
Franky16 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
I'm not sure the 30 seconds would make any difference to a now 30 minute connection while still having to clear immigration.
30s could make a huge difference at immigration..
thebakaronis likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Regrettably, stories of rudeness from U.S. passengers are not rare.
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Maybe they weren't Americans, and maybe it wasn't a U.S.-originating flight, but the majority of Delta's flights and RPMs originate in the U.S., hence my willingness to generalize. Do you deny my statement that American flyers can be rude?
Apparently you've never been to mainland China.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by tkey75
For one, it's not DL specific and probably headed to some other land.

2 - Screw the couple pushing past, but I wasn't there so can't really say the blocker wasn't also being a passive aggressive d-bag. Like speeders on the highway, you don't know why they're behind you flashing their lights even though you're already in the left lane speeding. Maybe the couple had a tight connection and lacked the social skills to say so. No way to know.
Different topic but many drivers aren’t aware it is typically against the law to Cruise In the left most lane. It is strictly for passing unless rush hour traffic so whether you are +5 or +25 over speed limit you pass and should immediately switch back to the right/middle lane. This drives me bonkers!
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
My etiquette await all passengers ahead of you (unless they wave you past).
unfortunately, we see elderly, families and folks in row 46 believe they are special and need to escape the aircraft prior to others.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:35 pm

[left]I make it my life’s work to get in the way of people like this. If they explain that they have a connection I stand down Gandalf mode and let them through.

Seats at the front cost more than seats at the back because you get out first (amongst other things) so my message to these people. Pay more or fxxxxxxxxx
Franky16 likes this.

Last edited by obscure2k; Jan 26, 2019 at 11:44 pm Reason: expletive deleted
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by RooseveltL

unfortunately, we see elderly, families and folks in row 46 believe they are special and need to escape the aircraft prior to others.
An average day on any form of Russian transport.
RooseveltL likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.