Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Opinion on deplaning etiquette?

Opinion on deplaning etiquette?

Old Feb 27, 19, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Europe View Post
Folks who use the passing lane to drive is one of my two pet peeves. I had a sister in law once say she was driving fast enough and was mad at the drivers behind her. It's simple ignorance. The other is those who go too slow in the far right lane. Both make driving more dangerous for everybody while thinking they are the safe and proper ones. The solution is to stay in the middle and live calmer and longer.
Slightly OT but where I live the police can apparently pull over and ticket people for driving too slow in the left lane. Big deal in the news a little while back.

I drive relatively fast in all lanes so have never experienced whether this enforcement actually occurs, but I agree that people going too slow on the highway create as much or more of a hazard as the super speeders.

Originally Posted by Mike Rivers View Post
On what aircraft is there room, perhaps other than in first class, is there room for a passenger with baggage to pass another passenger in the aisle?
That's the whole point of OP, I think. Because of the limited space, there has to be some waiting/order used - whether intentional or de facto. Some people want to jump that order, which creates a situation.
Old Feb 27, 19, 5:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Namikis View Post
Fair enough - but do keep in mind that in some countries and cultures (and this took me a while to get accustomed to, not easy) such as in India, pushing while in line is considered the polite thing to do, it *is* the etiquette to push while in line there. :-)

(but if it is a couple of Americans behaving poorly, go ahead, block away!)
That is good to know when you are in India. But if an Indian or any other resident of a country where pushing and shoving is accepted tries to impose his cultural practices in North America or Europe it is certainly appropriate to enlighten them on our different set of societal norms.
Old Feb 27, 19, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Million Miler; Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime
There is DEFINITELY plane etiquette

Each row files out, front to back, numerically. I have said to people, "oh yes, we deplane, politely, one row at a time" when someone gets pushy, or "there's a way to do this, one row at a time". I say it graciously because maybe these people just don't travel and don't understand. Then, there are those who think everything revolves around them and they are blind to everything going on around them. I'll say, "yeah, we're all in a hurry"....Having good manners is alive and well for some of us.
MaxBuck likes this.
Old Mar 1, 19, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by arcticflier View Post

What should you have done?

Maybe respected the suggestion of that self-righteous person and waited until others had de-boarded.

Thats the penalty for boarding late and having to stow your carry-on aft of your seat assignment.

I once saw this occur and a fellow pax attempted to be helpful and hand forward the carry-on and the owner became very agitated that someone handled their carry-on.

I didn't board late. I boarded with my group and the bins were all full by the time I got on. This does happen sometimes, and can be the downside of a far forward seat. And I didn't want to trouble others to get it for me because it was 4 rows back. It was too late at that point to respect that person's suggestion, because I was already in the aisle with my bag, behind the self-righteous person, and I wasn't agitating to budge forward, I was de-planing from that point. So the only issue was the aisle space I was occupying.

But I'll think about sitting out the whole de-planing process next time it happens and/or hope for some kindness. Most important lesson here may me to board as fast possible to get my bags in a more advantageous position
Old Mar 1, 19, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
I didn't board late. I boarded with my group and the bins were all full by the time I got on. This does happen sometimes, and can be the downside of a far forward seat. And I didn't want to trouble others to get it for me because it was 4 rows back. It was too late at that point to respect that person's suggestion, because I was already in the aisle with my bag, behind the self-righteous person, and I wasn't agitating to budge forward, I was de-planing from that point. So the only issue was the aisle space I was occupying.

But I'll think about sitting out the whole de-planing process next time it happens and/or hope for some kindness. Most important lesson here may me to board as fast possible to get my bags in a more advantageous position
I give you props for not doing what most people do when they have to store their bags several rows back, which is wiggle your way to the rear and then try to elbow your way back up to your original position before (usually bearing your suitcase over your head like it's some magical line-cutting talisman).
Old Mar 1, 19, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But I'll think about sitting out the whole de-planing process next time it happens ...
That's what I do when I'm too cheap to pay enough to get onboard earlier in the process. So, sounds like a polite way to proceed.
Old Mar 20, 19, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, others
What IS the proper etiquette in this position? I once had to put my bag about 4-5 rows back of me (I was in E+). It was too far back to ask for someone to get it for me. So I popped up quickly, got it down, apologized to the person right under the overhead compartment, and stood in line at that point, where the bag had been, to exit with that further back row (and grab my coat on my way past my own seat). I got yelled at by someone who said I was bothering people and taking up their space in the aisle. I think their idea was that I should have waited for the whole plane to empty, and then go get it. I admired their self-righteousness and wondered what else I could or should have done.
Either what you did, or asking people to pass your bag up to you. I've never seen a problem with the latter.
muji likes this.
Old Mar 20, 19, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, others
Originally Posted by arcticflier View Post
I once saw this occur and a fellow pax attempted to be helpful and hand forward the carry-on and the owner became very agitated that someone handled their carry-on.
How did the helpful person know whose bag it was?
Old Mar 21, 19, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K
My deplaning pet-peeves are:

- when people ahead of me are too polite to each other: "you first", "no, you first", "no, I insist that you go ahead of me." "no, really, you're too kind!" and waste everyone else's time. Or they stand back and insist that a passenger who is not at all ready gather their belongings and children and bags from overhead bins before they let the rest of us plebeians stuck behind them.

- those who take ages to get their act together. If you're not ready, it's only fair to let others pass before you.

- those who move slowly: yes, I grant exceptions to the old, the sick and the differently abled, but many healthy people would lose a 100-meter race to bloody sloths.

- couples or families that walk abreast and block the jetway, particularly when they're slow. I have no shame in loudly saying "excuse me" and push past them. Groups should always walk in a single file or otherwise make sure there's enough room for others to pass by. As someone above said, a few seconds can make a big difference in immigration lines particularly when a bunch of flights arrive together. I've crossed enough borders to know that you get out there as soon as you can before the stragglers from your flight and a couple of flights before yours get there.

- people who stop in the middle of the jetway to check things in their bags or take out jackets because it's too cold for them to walk a few steps. You won't freeze to death, just keep moving!

- people who push past you in the aisle to get hold of their luggage they left in front of the plane. Can't you wait to get there with the flow of normal traffic to get your luggage on your way out?
pinniped likes this.
Old Mar 23, 19, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by thebakaronis View Post
- couples or families that walk abreast and block the jetway, particularly when they're slow. I have no shame in loudly saying "excuse me" and push past them. Groups should always walk in a single file or otherwise make sure there's enough room for others to pass by.
Forget the jetway - it's not uncommon for me to see groups of 5 or 6 people together all slowly strolling side-by-side and spread out just enough to block half the width of the concourse (which basically blocks your path as the other side is full of people going in the opposite direction). I won't push, but I will come up on them and rather curtly say "Excuse me" in order to squeeze between two people in the group.

I get that walking single-file is awkward, but perhaps try to bunch together a bit and recognize that there are other people trying to use the airport as well?
thebakaronis and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 25, 19, 4:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
What IS the proper etiquette in this position? I once had to put my bag about 4-5 rows back of me (I was in E+). It was too far back to ask for someone to get it for me. So I popped up quickly, got it down, apologized to the person right under the overhead compartment, and stood in line at that point, where the bag had been, to exit with that further back row (and grab my coat on my way past my own seat). I got yelled at by someone who said I was bothering people and taking up their space in the aisle. I think their idea was that I should have waited for the whole plane to empty, and then go get it. I admired their self-righteousness and wondered what else I could or should have done.
If it's really too far back to ask someone to pass it up, then I'd politely ask people if I could slip behind them to get to it, and then wait there and deplane as the plane empties to that point.

I wouldn't think people would take issue to you wanting to move *behind* them during the deplaning process. Now they're off the plane 1 person faster. The guy who wanted "his" space in the aisle seems to be taking excessive offense. If he's that butthurt about it, then maybe let him deplane before you.

Seems to me like you did the right thing. If we were talking 10-12 rows, then I'd say you gotta wait until some of those rows are deplaning and gradually move backwards row by row as gaps emerge between people, much like a flight attendant does while tidying up the cabin.
Old Mar 25, 19, 7:08 pm

Programs: United, Hilton
Recently I had a guy in the row behind me who boarded the plane late, had more than his share of carry-ons, and managed to put three things in three different overhead bins including one a few rows up from his seat. As soon as the plane parks at the gate, he thinks he has to collect all his stuff immediately even though we're in Y and we weren't gonna start moving anytime soon. The guy gets his first couple items down, reaching over my shoulder/head to grab one of them, then unbelievably he says excuse me and starts pushing his way up towards the front of the plane, saying his bag is up front. I don't like to make a scene, so I make way for him and apparently others do the same and he pushes his way a couple rows up so he can grab his third stuff. The whole time the line's not moving at all. It's somewhat common to see people push their way back to retrieve stuff from further back. It's odd and unacceptable to do that when the stuff is further up front.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 26, 19, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by tkey75 View Post
For one, it's not DL specific and probably headed to some other land.

2 - Screw the couple pushing past, but I wasn't there so can't really say the blocker wasn't also being a passive aggressive d-bag. Like speeders on the highway, you don't know why they're behind you flashing their lights even though you're already in the left lane speeding. Maybe the couple had a tight connection and lacked the social skills to say so. No way to know.
Most state laws state that the left lane is for passing. I have seen a cop pull over both and give both a speeding ticket and the guy in front a ticket for holding up traffic. Quite rude not to pull over.
Old Mar 26, 19, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Gadot View Post
Most state laws state that the left lane is for passing. I have seen a cop pull over both and give both a speeding ticket and the guy in front a ticket for holding up traffic. Quite rude not to pull over.
I wish it was enforced more. Two of my biggest pet peeves are left-lane squatters and people who don't use turn signals.
smc333 and Gadot like this.
Old Mar 26, 19, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
Recently I had a guy in the row behind me who boarded the plane late, had more than his share of carry-ons, and managed to put three things in three different overhead bins including one a few rows up from his seat. As soon as the plane parks at the gate, he thinks he has to collect all his stuff immediately even though we're in Y and we weren't gonna start moving anytime soon. The guy gets his first couple items down, reaching over my shoulder/head to grab one of them, then unbelievably he says excuse me and starts pushing his way up towards the front of the plane, saying his bag is up front. I don't like to make a scene, so I make way for him and apparently others do the same and he pushes his way a couple rows up so he can grab his third stuff. The whole time the line's not moving at all. It's somewhat common to see people push their way back to retrieve stuff from further back. It's odd and unacceptable to do that when the stuff is further up front.
The only thing to say to be nice is that I have told deplaning is when the most bags go missing - esp if placed away from owner.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: