Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

15 Defunct Airlines You Might Not Remember

Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS Gold (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR

Please forgive me if this has already been posted on flyertalk.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/fli...unct-airlines/
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Most Flyertalkers will remember 12+ of them. Continental? US Airways? Yes, I remember them.

The ones I didn't recall at all: the first Frontier (not the one still flying), Mohawk, and Air California.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by pinniped
Most Flyertalkers will remember 12+ of them. Continental? US Airways? Yes, I remember them.

The ones I didn't recall at all: the first Frontier (not the one still flying), Mohawk, and Air California.
15/15 for me, but then I've actually flown on 12 of 'em (voluntarily missed Hooters and ValuJet; too young to have managed Central) ... and of course I spend waaaaaaaay too much time on the Old Timers' Airline and Airliner Quiz and Discussion thread
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by jrl767; Jan 23, 2019 at 8:21 pm Reason: didn't go back to review the list before posting :/
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Quite a few, or even many more, that could have been added.

United could be said to be the current embodiment of Continental.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Some of these went bust (Braniff, Pan Am, Eastern) and some were merged up (TWA, PeopleExpress, Frontier, Continental). ValuJet did neither, just changed its name to AirTran.

I knew of all 15 and flew with 8.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Quite a few, or even many more, that could have been added. ...
Bonanza, Pacific, Air West (and Hughes AirWest), Southern, Lake Central, North Central, Allegheny, Wien Air Alaska, Aloha, Trans-Texas (and successor Texas International), National, Western ... and that doesn't even begin to touch the second-tier startups following deregulation in the U.S.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't remember Central or Air California (unless it became PSA)....and of course I do remember Allegheny, Aloha, Texas International, National, Western, Hughes Air-West, and Piedmont too. Does TransWorld Express count? How about Mesaba? Up north there was Canadian Pacific once upon a time.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't remember Central or Air California (unless it became PSA)....and of course I do remember Allegheny, Aloha, Texas International, National, Western, Hughes Air-West, and Piedmont too. Does TransWorld Express count? How about Mesaba? Up north there was Canadian Pacific once upon a time.
AirCal was acquired by AA; Central was acquired (by Southern?) shortly before SO and NC became Republic ... bad on me for leaving Piedmont off my list ... TWE and Mesaba are in that gaggle that I generalized as "second-tier"
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Didn't Allegheny acquire Piedmont to become USAir (which also acquired Pacific Southwest)?

If Continental can possibly be forgotten, so can Northwest and the author forgot National too.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Didn't Allegheny acquire Piedmont to become USAir (which also acquired Pacific Southwest)?

If Continental can possibly be forgotten, so can Northwest and the author forgot National too.
if I recall the history correctly, Allegheny acquired both Mohawk and Lake Central, then changed their name to US Air, then snapped up both PSA and Piedmont
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:08 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
And when AirNorth changed their name to Brockway Air, the gasps at BOS were audible!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:50 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I recall Wardair - Canadian, I'm not sure if Republic were mentioned, or Western ( I flew them DFW - YYC), Air Forida, the short lived Southern, I believe that Northwest Orient came about as a merger between two carriers. Island Air (I think that collapsed last year in Hawaii.

This side of the pond I could quote at least 15 without stopping to think including my own British Caledonian.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped

I only know of Mohawk from the TV show Mad Men
golfmad likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by BearX220
Some of these went bust (Braniff, Pan Am, Eastern) and some were merged up (TWA, PeopleExpress, Frontier, Continental). ValuJet did neither, just changed its name to AirTran.

I knew of all 15 and flew with 8.
One of my uncles worked for the original Frontier.

Originally Posted by jrl767
Wien Air Alaska
Ah, Wienie Bird! My mom was on one of Wien's last flights. She recalls the flight attendants giving her handfuls of liquor minis. They didn't care - they knew they were out of a job once the plane got back to Anchorage.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767

if I recall the history correctly, Allegheny acquired both Mohawk and Lake Central, then changed their name to US Air, then snapped up both PSA and Piedmont
You recollection about this is much better and accurate than mine, I am sure. My first USAir (Unfortunately Still Allegheny In Reality) flights was back in late 1988 when, IIRC, the IATA code was AL because some other outfit (military?) still had US. Flew my 1 and only Piedmont flight- also late 1988 - between SYR and ITH (that's a short flight) before the two were operationally merged. I guess PSA had already been operationally merged by that time as US was flying into BLI from SEA (part of an old PS route mentioned in the old timer's thread).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.