Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

15 Defunct Airlines You Might Not Remember

15 Defunct Airlines You Might Not Remember

Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Central was the only one that didn't register with me.

Now-gone airlines that I actually flew on: Empire, Wright, Allegheny/US/whatever, Pan Am, TWA, Ozark, Simmons, Continental, People Express, New York Air, Piedmont, Northwest, Midway (first one), Eastern. This doesn't include commuter operators flying under the name of another airline, such as Britt flying as Allegheny Commuter.

The Pan Am flight wasn't TATL or TPAC; it was Frankfurt to Berlin Tempelhof.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I've heard of all of them, have only flown on US Airways on that list. Have also flown on Delta Express, MetroJet (US Airways LCC), AirTran, and Virgin America, all of which are no longer around.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
Most Flyertalkers will remember 12+ of them. Continental? US Airways? Yes, I remember them.
LOL Yup
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

eos airlines was pretty great
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: The usual suspects
I remember 13 of them, especially Eastern. I was an official member of the We Hate Eastern Air Lines club and had a WHEAL button to prove it.

I loved US Air when I was PIT based and belonged to Chairman's Preferred, which was the best FF program at that time: I always flew first class with my companion and the upgrade was at no cost, and if I booked 48 hours in advance, no flight was ever sold out. I occasionally sat in the departure area while they off-loaded someone else so I could get on.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:39 pm

I remember Midwest express. Somehow I was on a Continental Flight from Milwaukee (maybe) to somewhere (was either ALB, DEN, or GJT, I can't remember which, more likely the first two?) and Continental had cancelled the flight and rebooked me on Midwest express. I'm thinking one of those little prop job planes. I was very pleasantly surprised with the "first class" experience. Real plates, silverware, meal, etc.

It was just the one time, plus I was in college so it was an unexpected treat.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:29 pm

I didn't see with America West or Northwest in those lists.

As for Australian Compass it was so good it went defunct twice!!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
I didn't see with America West or Northwest in those lists.
!
Arguably bodysnatched USAir then AA.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Has anyone mentioned ATA (American Trans Airways) yet?

Also Song and Ted - do those count as defunct Airlines?

Of the 15 in the article, I had heard of 12 (all except Central, Carnival, and Mohawk) and flown 5 (Pan Am, Continental, USAirways, Midwest, and Eastern - my first flight).

Among others, besides ATA and Song, I also flew Air Florida, Northwest, Piedmont, America West, and AirTran. Sorry I never got to fly TWA or Braniff.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by hurnik
I remember Midwest express.
What was most interesting about Midwest Express was who its parent company was. Started off as in-house executive/employee air transport and grew into an airline. My employer at the time was a competitor to the parent.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
About 12-14 years ago I remember seeing a National Airlines 757 at LAS. Was I losing my mind or in the late 2000's was there (another) reincarnation of this airline?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by enviroian
About 12-14 years ago I remember seeing a National Airlines 757 at LAS. Was I losing my mind or in the late 2000's was there (another) reincarnation of this airline?
Google search is your friend
  • the second incarnation of the name operated passenger service from a LAS hub between 1999-2002
  • there was yet a third that began operating 757s in 2011 -- mainly charter operations, but one of their 757s might have transited LAS at one point
enviroian likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Artpen100
Peoples Express (no reservation, you just got on and they would come down the aisle with a credit card machine)? Good times.
You definitely made reservations on PE (advance reservations for the cheap EWR-LGW 747s used to sell out in minutes) but paid on board. In those pre-Internet, pre-app, pre-kiosk days you had to get on the phone and wait to book, or have your Main Street travel agent run that gauntlet for you. The old Eastern Air-Shuttle (LGA-DCA, LGA-BOS) was no-reservations, walk up and go, hourly service, guaranteed seats (they kept second-section aircraft warmed up and standing by, including Lockheed Electras until the early '70s) but you paid before boarding.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:57 am

Air 21 billed itself as the airline of the 21st century. Based out of the Big Raisin (Fresno), it didn't make it out of the 20th century. Pity, because it could take you from FAT to PSP at a decent price.

Also, I miss Presidential, with its 737s and BAe-146's flying from its hub at IAD.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by HomerJay
Also, I miss Presidential, with its 737s and BAe-146's flying from its hub at IAD.
Presidential was half a good idea: an Atlantic seaboard regional carrier hubbing at IAD. But with aircraft too big for their missions and no affiliation with other carriers it was doomed from the outset. Those 146s were fun though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.