Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Daylight savings?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Daylight savings?

Flying from Seattle to charlotte. Flight leaves march 9 @ 930pm and arrives in Charlotte at 619am. Have a 1 hour layover. Flight from Charlotte to Roanoke leaves at 724am

is daylight savings time going to make me miss my connecting flight?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
The hour is lost during the overnight flight. There is a four hour time change, so the plane will depart at 21:30 PST and land at 06:19 EDT. No worries about the connection. Yet another reason to get rid of Daylight Saving Time.
YVR Cockroach likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by musicdude91
Flying from Seattle to charlotte. Flight leaves march 9 @ 930pm and arrives in Charlotte at 619am. Have a 1 hour layover. Flight from Charlotte to Roanoke leaves at 724am

is daylight savings time going to make me miss my connecting flight?
The arrival time is always local time. All time changes would have been factored already.

You will arrive as scheduled shortly after 6am.
84fiero likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Tanic
Yet another reason to get rid of Daylight Saving Time.
Because there's nothing to worry about?
milski likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've had a number of flight times changed after booking because they were loaded in the system without accounting for daylight saving changes (i.e. when I booked a flight it said depart 3pm arrive 8pm and changed to be either depart 3pm arrive 7pm or 9pm (depending on time of year and destinations). This usually happened when one end was doing daylight and the other was not (e.g. the UK and Canada change their daylight savings on different weekends) and I would hope for a domestic itinerary they are more clued in. So while the OP might be totally fine, as the time is local allowing for daylight savings, not all airlines get this right all the time, so a phone call to double check with the airline wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If an airline had completely screwed this up in the past - that is, forgotten about it until the day of travel - it would have *had* to become a big mainstream news story and a huge thread on Flyertalk. If AA did this, Chicago, Dallas, Charlotte, Phoenix, and Philly would be full of angry people and lots of local news cameras.

This leads me to believe that they tend to get it right.

Seattle to Charlotte is typically scheduled as approximately 4 hours and 45 minutes. 9:30PM PST to 2:15AM PST, which is 5:15 EST, which is 6:15 EDT. So your schedule is published correctly as is.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by CPRich
Because there's nothing to worry about?
It's idiotic. Playing with the clock to make the sun set an hour later only makes the sun rise an hour later. It doesn't create more daylight.

The only way to create more daylight in the summer is to move to to a higher latitude. In the winter, move to the southern hemisphere (the further south, the better).
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
It's idiotic. Playing with the clock to make the sun set an hour later only makes the sun rise an hour later. It doesn't create more daylight.
But it does make candy manufacturers and electric utilities more profitable.

The only way to create more daylight in the summer is to move to to a higher latitude. In the winter, move to the southern hemisphere (the further south, the better).
Then that would be summer.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
....Yet another reason to get rid of Daylight Saving Time.
China!
One time zone. No daylight saving. Simple!
MEABFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Nor does it purport to "create more daylight". Shifting sunset an hour later is precisely the intent.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:27 pm

Nobody is claiming it creates more daylight. It simply moves it from a less useful time (early morning) to a more useful time (evening).

I personally think it’s great - this is as someone who is up at 4am most days. Early mornings are wasted daylight.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I guess the alternative would be to abandon DST and move major U.S. stock market trading 1 hour earlier. That would gradually force what we think of as "the business day" an hour earlier. Cities with public transit would quickly shift their schedules. And then schools, retail, etc. would shift - and finally entertainment, television prime time, etc. Over time, what we think of as normal bedtime and wake-up time would change. For those who like to work out early in the morning, 4AM-5AM would no longer be "the hour of the ultramarathoner." Mere marathoners would be on the road at that time.

Rural areas would change less, as they're going to move with the sun and seasons no matter what time we call it.

Or we could just fiddle with the clocks twice a year. That mostly gets the job done, but damn if I don't absolutely hate winter...
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by pinniped
I guess the alternative would be to abandon DST and move major U.S. stock market trading 1 hour earlier. That would gradually force what we think of as "the business day" an hour earlier. Cities with public transit would quickly shift their schedules. And then schools, retail, etc. would shift - and finally entertainment, television prime time, etc. Over time, what we think of as normal bedtime and wake-up time would change. For those who like to work out early in the morning, 4AM-5AM would no longer be "the hour of the ultramarathoner." Mere marathoners would be on the road at that time.

Rural areas would change less, as they're going to move with the sun and seasons no matter what time we call it.

Or we could just fiddle with the clocks twice a year. That mostly gets the job done, but damn if I don't absolutely hate winter...
Actually, we should embrace DST year-round. That unfortunately creates a winter problem for northern cities like Seattle.

I've advocated for years to split the difference - advance all time zones by 30 minutes and be done with it. It's kind of arbitrary that GMT has "noon" when the sun is directly overhead; let's just set GMT as having "noon" when the sun is 30 minutes before being directly overhead, and voila! We have a consistent time year-round that shifts light by 30 minutes into the afternoon/evening hours.

Northern cities can handle a 30-minute shift in winter.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Actually, we should embrace DST year-round. That unfortunately creates a winter problem for northern cities like Seattle.
And a summer problem in cities like PHX. 110°F at 21:00? Been there, done that, got rid of DST.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
And a summer problem in cities like PHX. 110°F at 21:00? Been there, done that, got rid of DST.
Arizona could stay in its year round time zone, advanced 30 minutes, or join Pacific time year round, retarded 30 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.