Wiki Posts
Search

Send out my Passport?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: none
Send out my Passport?

Should I send a photo copy of my US passport to a travel agent for a European Trip?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why would you do this?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: none
Requested by the trravel agent. This is the first time I have received such a request.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: UA
They may want a copy so to book your name on ticket exactly as written on passport. That is one reason — and I have heard of TA asking for that so to minimize mistakes.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:58 am
Suspended

Thanks for the details.

Why not call the TA and ask why it wants the information. If it is in order to assure that the ticket is properly booked, this is reasonable, although I might redact the passport number and other detail not required to book.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Since a travel agent is involved for a Europe trip, I'm going to guess there's some unusual / unique aspect to this booking? I'd want to know the purpose of the him/her wanting the information.

The times I've needed third parties (travel agents) to get involved with a trip have involved them having a specific relationship with an event, excursion operator, or other in-country specialty services. It's possible some of those people need passport information to provide services to foreigners.

It's also possible the TA just wants it to make 100% sure that your ticketing info and predeparture information is loaded correctly. I can see them wanting this for group travel (another reason people sometimes use TAs), although I haven't personally done one of these trips.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
If you ask them what information they need, and their need for that information seems reasonable, you can make a photocopy, cover the other stuff with a marker, and then photocopy the result so nobody will be able to remove the marker and see what you hid.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
As a former travel agent, I frequently made this request. It's useful for ensuring that the name and birthdate match exactly with the information. Some airlines (Belavia comes to mind) won't allow the ticket to be issued until passport details are inputted into the APIS fields.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
People can't be trusted to provide accurate information, better to get the passport and be sure that the name, all middle names, DOB etc are exactly correct, especially perhaps with a European TA (not specified if TA is European) having perhaps had issues in the past with American pax providing dates in the incorrect format (MM/DD/YYYY instead of DD/MM/YYYY)
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
I've frequently had this request; it's usually because the agent needs it for APIS info, or to make sure ticket details are correct. Sometimes, it's also to arrange things like visas on arrival (if they are coordinating) or other value-added services.

Assuming the agent is reputable, I wouldn't worry too much. Given that many hotels, banks, SIM card sellers, etc. all keep copies of passport details as well, your data is likely floating around many places already—why lose sleep over one more?
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What's the destination and are any special activities involved such as visits to places not normally open to the public or even factory tours?

For instance, for Russian visas, passport details are needed to arrange for a letter of invitation from a Russian citizen (usually done by a hotel employee or local travel agent). Some factory tours prohibit persons of certain nationalities. You might need passport or national ID details to obtain certain special tickets.

Do you trust this travel agent?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:31 am

I wonder why this is such a novel idea...
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Scifience
I've frequently had this request; it's usually because the agent needs it for APIS info, or to make sure ticket details are correct. Sometimes, it's also to arrange things like visas on arrival (if they are coordinating) or other value-added services.

Assuming the agent is reputable, I wouldn't worry too much. Given that many hotels, banks, SIM card sellers, etc. all keep copies of passport details as well, your data is likely floating around many places already—why lose sleep over one more?
Precisely!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:50 am
Suspended

There are many reasons, but all are speculation. OP needs to ask what data the TA needs and why. Then provide only that data.

"Back in the day" is no longer a good reason. What does the TA do with the informtation or hard copy once it is dealt with. Is a print out kept, if so for how long and how is it disposed of.

A TA which is known to collect paper copies of passport and then perhaps CC data is a goldmine for simply having its garbage unwittingly lifted.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Often1
There are many reasons, but all are speculation. OP needs to ask what data the TA needs and why. Then provide only that data.

"Back in the day" is no longer a good reason. What does the TA do with the informtation or hard copy once it is dealt with. Is a print out kept, if so for how long and how is it disposed of.

A TA which is known to collect paper copies of passport and then perhaps CC data is a goldmine for simply having its garbage unwittingly lifted.
Many countries require hotels to hold/copy passports. As was said above, if you've travelled any amount, your passport details are already all over the place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.