Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

cool signage that you wish your country had

Old Jan 17, 19, 4:13 am
Original Poster

When travelling sometimes you see signs that make you wonder, why don't do they do this at home?

I'll start off. In a country which I have forgotten right now they have a stopsign with potential symbols on each of the 4 sides, telling you whether or not there is a stop-sign in that direction. Brilliant! In the US you just have a sign that says "all way stop" or "4 way stop" versus one that doesn't say anything. What about 3 way stop? Or 1 way? No idea.

In KHH their sign for the baggage claim has an arrow pointing you in the direction of your baggage claim. Very helpful. Instead of having to figure out #2 is to the right you can just look, it will say #2 and point to the right.
Old Jan 17, 19, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Kaohsiung airport
Old Jan 17, 19, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Things like the example you posted I can usually figure out for myself without additional help.
84fiero likes this.
Old Jan 17, 19, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like subway and other train maps that tell you which side the platform will be, so you can prepare to exit correctly. In some places, such as hospitals, I like their colour coded lines you can follow to specific destinations (e.g. follow the red line to Emergency, follow the green line to x-ray). Makes it easy to get there without having to install signs at every possible turn.
Old Jan 17, 19, 7:54 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Delta Silver
Old school Solari split flap boards. There was always something cheerful about the rattle-rattle as they went to show their next destination or arrival
Old Jan 17, 19, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've heard that people in either NYC or London (or both) have posted signs telling you which train carriage to board if you want to later make some of the common connections. As in, if you want to connect from Line 1 to Line 2, then you want to be at the back of Train 1 because of where you'll need to walk in the connecting station. Since the connecting stations are often large and busy, this is helpful information.

It was sort of an underground effort and I think their signs got removed, but if someone produced an app with this information, that would be cool.

There are a lot of train stations that could stand for better signage. Some have good markings on the floor to help you get between local metro and commuter/regional trains. Others kind of leave it up to you to figure it out on your own.
Old Jan 17, 19, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
I've heard that people in either NYC or London (or both) have posted signs telling you which train carriage to board if you want to later make some of the common connections. As in, if you want to connect from Line 1 to Line 2, then you want to be at the back of Train 1 because of where you'll need to walk in the connecting station. Since the connecting stations are often large and busy, this is helpful information.

It was sort of an underground effort and I think their signs got removed, but if someone produced an app with this information, that would be cool.

There are a lot of train stations that could stand for better signage. Some have good markings on the floor to help you get between local metro and commuter/regional trains. Others kind of leave it up to you to figure it out on your own.
Your wish is my command! Tube Exits for the London Underground - Save Time. Beat the crowds.

And that reminds me - I love the 'overground' map that is matched to underground stations, it tells you when it is just quicker to walk. I have seen so many people get on the tube to go one or two stops when the time to get underground, take the tube, and get back up is considerably longer than just walking there - it is 250m from Leicester Square to Covent Garden, and takes at least twice as long to go by tube than to walk. It also is often quicker to walk rather than change lines on some routes especially around Euston/Kings Cross. http://content.tfl.gov.uk/walking-tube-map.pdf
pinniped likes this.
Old Jan 17, 19, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emma69 View Post
I like subway and other train maps that tell you which side the platform will be, so you can prepare to exit correctly. In some places, such as hospitals, I like their colour coded lines you can follow to specific destinations (e.g. follow the red line to Emergency, follow the green line to x-ray). Makes it easy to get there without having to install signs at every possible turn.
I like colour coded lines on maps except in places like China where there are a million lines (maybe more precisely 18?) colours get difficult, but it is also hard to trace the number on the map as you have to follow the line all the way to the end of the map, which is quite difficult sometimes.

I like how on the subway trains they till you which side the door will exit, but in some countries it will tell you early, in some countries it tells you as you are getting there (which is not helpful at not in a crowded train, as then you have no time to move). Also, sometimes one side will not say anything (as in, it doesn't tell you "exit opposite side").
Old Jan 17, 19, 9:29 am
Original Poster

My cousin takes the subway home, and he knows which car exactly to be in to get off and to be able to get right on the stairs and up to the nearest exit to walk home.

One thing that makes the connection thing difficult (I haven't taken the Tube much) is that some places have circuitous routing for transfers, to facilitate throughput of more passengers (or not having people bump into each other, cross paths).
Old Jan 17, 19, 2:22 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Tri-State Turducken, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Things like the example you posted I can usually figure out for myself without additional help.
That's where Japan is generally brilliant with trains-- depending on the number of carriages of a train, there are signs informing you of where to stand (particularly important for reserved seat-trains, or for Green Cars (the more expensive ones). In the Tokyo Metro (and TOEI), other signs tell you which carriage is closest to ___ exit of that particular station.

Then, you have the tactile paving throughout Japan (straight lines until you hit a curb/a change in the sidewalk, then they become bumps).

These things might exist elsewhere, but I'm much more familiar with Japan.
84fiero likes this.

Last edited by BuildingMyBento; Jan 17, 19 at 2:23 pm Reason: Whoops, looks like this is partially being discussed above. Nonetheless, more fodder
Old Jan 17, 19, 3:16 pm
Suspended

We need this in the US. Desperately.
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old Jan 17, 19, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / MLife Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Explorist / United Silver
NYC would never have that. This city doesn't even have a capacity to properly run trains on time.

Old Jan 17, 19, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by samwise6222 View Post
NYC would never have that. This city doesn't even have a capacity to properly run trains on time.
And the signs in the subway that do talk about where to stand and for what train don't actually make any sense. You have to be a local to understand what they mean. To a non-local they make as much sense as Greek.
Old Jan 17, 19, 8:25 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
these signs are beautiful, but I'd be a bit shocked to find them anywhere else...
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 17, 19, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi View Post
these signs are beautiful, but I'd be a bit shocked to find them anywhere else...
Very common in college dorm rooms. As well as the wombat crossing one

Search this Thread
Search Engine: