Wiki Posts
Search

cool signage that you wish your country had

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:31 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I like the traffic signals in Thailand, where they blink before changing, and sometimes have a countdown timer showing when the light will turn green...

Image from Internet...
Have seen those in China, too. Not a big fan, because they make the wait that much more excruciating.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure. We have them for pedestrians in the USA as well. But haven't seen any for vehicle traffic here...
They act as a countdown for the traffic as well, because you can see the pedestrian one counting down as you approach the intersection.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by emma69
They act as a countdown for the traffic as well, because you can see the pedestrian one counting down as you approach the intersection.
Ah, got it.
Can sometimes see the pedestrian ones in the US, but they don't always coincide with relevant traffic signal turning green, due to turn lanes, arrows, etc.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: GE, B6 True Blue, Hilton Honors, IHG
These were all over Dublin in the crosswalks. Helped out a lot as we're not used to oncoming traffic from the opposite direction.

Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Sure. We have them for pedestrians in the USA as well. But haven't seen any for vehicle traffic here...
In Chicago these seem to be taken as “oh, look, 2 seconds left to START crossing” not finish.
Originally Posted by emma69
and with essentially zero enforcement of traffic, in Chicago this gives you time to speed up and make the light.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:56 pm

I like the traffic signals in Thailand, where they blink before changing, and sometimes have a countdown timer showing when the light will turn green...

Image from Internet...

we have that in Indonesia as well. in busier streets of Greater Jakarta, some even had three digit timer in it.

friends once told me a story, a time when they shared a ride. at an intersection they looked at the traffic light timer, unknowingly to each other, until they begin the countdown together from 10. and when it reach 1, unexpectedly it went back to 99 again much to their dismay. some laughter were bursted

I guess that and some complaints from other motorists led into the introduction of three digits timer.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by chugger1
These were all over Dublin in the crosswalks. Helped out a lot as we're not used to oncoming traffic from the opposite direction.

I was told by a native Londoner a few years back (they're common there too) that, while they're useful for visitors from drive-on-the-right countries, that's not the reason for them. The reason is that, with so many one-way streets, even locals need to be told which way vehicles come from.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Originally Posted by pinniped
I've heard that people in either NYC or London (or both) have posted signs telling you which train carriage to board if you want to later make some of the common connections. As in, if you want to connect from Line 1 to Line 2, then you want to be at the back of Train 1 because of where you'll need to walk in the connecting station. Since the connecting stations are often large and busy, this is helpful information.

It was sort of an underground effort and I think their signs got removed, but if someone produced an app with this information, that would be cool.

There are a lot of train stations that could stand for better signage. Some have good markings on the floor to help you get between local metro and commuter/regional trains. Others kind of leave it up to you to figure it out on your own.
Citymapper has this feature. Beats Google maps for public transport/cycling/walking and multi-modal transport
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Efrem
I was told by a native Londoner a few years back (they're common there too) that, while they're useful for visitors from drive-on-the-right countries, that's not the reason for them. The reason is that, with so many one-way streets, even locals need to be told which way vehicles come from.
I am not convinced by that reasoning - you see those look right signs most often at crossings on busy 2 way streets in London, in areas usually frequented by tourists. You tend not to find them in more out of the way places or indeed very much outside of London at all. One way streets are very common in plenty of places in the UK and most do not have any indication at crossings on which way to look - look right, look left, look right again - the standard way of teaching how to cross the road in the UK! This native Londoner is pretty convinced they are purely for tourists!
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: Iberia
Originally Posted by tanglin
Know that one well (I'm originally from San Diego and live not far fro it now).
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: Iberia
A couple from Ireland . . .
Need this here at home

A little respect . . .
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
This one made me smirk because I spotted it no more than 5 miles from the capital of the state (Augusta, ME).

Then I came around a curve to find the leftmost lane of the interstate blocked by 3 moose. They may be appropriate in other states. Hopefully not in proximity to the state capital.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaVol
This one made me smirk because I spotted it no more than 5 miles from the capital of the state (Augusta, ME).

Then I came around a curve to find the leftmost lane of the interstate blocked by 3 moose. They may be appropriate in other states. Hopefully not in proximity to the state capital.
Not long after I moved to Canada I thought someone was playing a joke on me when they told me a road near my house was shut because there was a moose they were trying to corral. This would be in the largest metro area in Canada (Toronto surrounds). Turns out we really do have moose living in suburbia, they have mixed herds with deer (which I knew about), and most of the moose just look like deer around these parts. I think it is pretty cool. Not that I would like to meet one on the road!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:21 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

"Stick Your Gum Here"

Saw this in Chihuahua, Mexico. The sign is a bit nasty, and no, I don't wish it was in my hometown.

Now if we could just convince smokers that they are littering every time...
ajGoes likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.