Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is it rude to turn up to hotel breakfast 15/10/5 mins before it is due to end?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it rude to turn up to hotel breakfast 15/10/5 mins before it is due to end?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
In Australia many years ago I was a Food and Beverage Manager in a large 4 star hotel, so I can share some insight, specific to that region.

For me, turning up 15 minutes before closing is not a problem at all, I would politely communicate to the guest that the buffet will be removed at 11am, but they were welcome to take their time to finish their food, and if they would like more tea/coffee just give me a wave. Politeness costs nothing.
Dealing with guests in this way, it was very rare that someone would sit for so long that I needed to ask them to leave. But on occasion I would have to politely tell them that we have closed and I need to prepare the restaurant for the next service.
Usually 30 minutes after closing time, which is when the breakfast team were finished with their pack down and needed to move to other outlets or sign off (cost savings, not by their own choice)
For opening time, my team were ready waiting to open the doors 15 minutes before service started also, which we often did early if there were guests waiting.

Depending on the property, sometimes the staff are under pressure to prepare for a second service that will utilise the same space. As an example our breakfast restaurant was also used as one of the dinning areas for our conference guests due to size. So after seating over 800 guests at breakfast, the space would need to be turned and made ready for a 12pm conference group of perhaps 400 . On days like this, at 11am, I would need to ask any remaining guests to leave. Guests were usually also very accommodating of this when informed. Worst case scenario I would offer them gratis coffee, croissant, al la carte breakfast etc in our café.

On the restock side, 15 minutes prior to closing we would not top up any items, unless they were completely empty, at which point we would order smaller amounts from the chefs, or even individual portions for a guest depending on the situation.
This is purely down to a cost and waste issue. It could be labelled as corporate social responsibility, but end of the day it is cost.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
I am LUCKY to get my brood there by the time it closes...much less 15 before! Drives me nuts! Agreed that 6-10, is 6-10!
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Many hotels in the US end breakfast buffets at 9am on weekdays. I’m lucky if I can get there 15 minutes early. If I get there 5 minutes early, then I grab what I can to my table.

What I hate at full service properties is when they start removing all the food before the end time. I had this happen at the Hilton in BDO, where we came 10 minutes before, and 30-40% of the food was already loaded onto the carts heading to the kitchen.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
It's fine with me if a hotel advertising a breakfast buffet until 10am starts tearing down the buffet at 10. It's my responsibility to get in before that. But, if I have my food before 10, I feel it's reasonable for me to sit at my table for 15 minutes finishing my food without a hairy eyeball from anyone. It's unprofessional for food service teams to think "breakfast 'til 10" mean patrons are shooed out and the door locked behind them so vacuuming can commence at 10:01.

Also, "breakfast 'til 10" should mean breakfast until 10. If you intend to take away the food at 9:40 so you can clean up, advertise "breakfast 'til 9:40".
My sentiments as well.

I try to avoid arriving for a buffet closer to closing time, as there's greater chance some items are picked over or cold...though sometimes you can't avoid it. Usually I like to eat very soon after I wake up, so it's not often that I show up close to the end.
bruceba and flylonghaul like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Many hotels in the US end breakfast buffets at 9am on weekdays. I’m lucky if I can get there 15 minutes early. If I get there 5 minutes early, then I grab what I can to my table.
Wow, I have yet to encounter that in a hotel thankfully. 9am is just way too early.

What I hate at full service properties is when they start removing all the food before the end time. I had this happen at the Hilton in BDO, where we came 10 minutes before, and 30-40% of the food was already loaded onto the carts heading to the kitchen.
That really shouldn't happen, its a bad experience for the guests and a bad image overall for the property, but I guess the cost pressures are a big part. Certainly doesn't make it ok.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is not rude. If it is a buffet, it is reasonable to be through the buffet by the closing time. If it is a table service meal, it is reasonable to have one's order in the kitchen by the closing time. If the buffet is being shut down, it is reasonable for the property to offer an a la carte choice even if it is not included under the room rate or for whatever the buffet costs (if cheaper).

If you are late, it is fine to ask and maybe it's a yes and maybe it's a no. Maybe it's a compromise, e.g. they let you walk through the picked over leftovers on the buffet but that's it.

All depends on what is next. Remember that setup time for the next meal may be compressed and that if lunch is supposed to start at 11:30, there will be people ranting at the door if that starts late.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:01 am

If I see that staff has started their tear down process, I’ll shy away. But if it’s 15 minutes until service ends, there’s plenty of people still seated or retrieving food items from the buffet station, then it’s fair game in my book.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: Skyteam
If they started cleaning up already, I would personally grab whatever was available and be done.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
It's unprofessional for food service teams to think "breakfast 'til 10" mean patrons are shooed out and the door locked behind them so vacuuming can commence at 10:01.
This literally happened to me at a hotel at Russell Square in London. One morning, 10 minutes before the stated end time for breakfast, there was a vacuum under my chair.

Coincidentally, this was the same hotel where I had a bad housekeeping experience. After getting back from a club at 5:30am, the last thing that I wanted was a knock from the housekeeper at 7:00am. I ignored it at first, but the housekeeper came back every 10 minutes or so for 30-40 minutes. I finally got out of bed, totally nude, opened the door, and said "What the f*** do you want?" The housekeeper didn't return after that.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:44 am

Whether it's a buffet or restaurant, at a hotel or otherwise, I aim to be out of the dining area by closing time.

I sleep in late and I eat quickly so I'll often turn up to a continental breakfast buffet only 5 minutes before it shuts down. In a limited service (Hampton Inn caliber) hotel, I don't mind if cleaning/vacuuming occurs near me, as long as the fumes or sprays do not get on my table or food.

Having said all that, any food service establishment that is run with any modicum of professionalism should either:
  • accept all new diners until closing time, and not rush these diners or make any snide remarks (either audibly or through body language), or
  • publish a "last entry / last call" time that is separate from (and probably 30-60 minutes earlier than) the get-outta-here closing time.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by ilcannone
Yes, it is. Extremely.
As exemplified by this whole thread, no established etiquette exists. The problem with your expressed viewpoint is that not everybody agrees with you, and you may be chastising others' behavior not because it is against the norm, but because it is against your own sensibilities. That's self-absorbed.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:13 pm

Fifteen minutes before is not IMO but I wouldn't expect to sit there for an hour and eat a leisurely breakfast either. What is irritating is when they say breakfast served until 10 am but don't bother restocking the buffet after say 9:30.

A couple times a month I'll meet my brother for dinner and if he has his three year old that week we'll often go to a buffet style restaurant and a couple of them have signs saying "Dining room closes at X. Buffet closes at Y" which is typically 30 minutes before closing. I'm fine with that and appreciate it so if you show up 15 minutes before the buffet closes you know what you're in for. I've seen similar signs at other traditional style restaurants too which is once again appreciated.
muji and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm with the majority on this one: if the posted hours for a buffet are 6-10, then I would expect to get normal buffet service at 9:45 but would not expect to go back to the buffet after 10. Remnants may be there after 10 if you're lucky, but if they start taking it away that's fair game.

I would also not expect to get get shooed out of a hotel restaurant mid-morning. I would understand that if we were talking about bar closing time at midnight or whatever. But reading the post about how they sometimes use the space for conferences, I understand why they'd sometimes want people not to linger. Politeness on the part of the staff would go a long way...I wouldn't have a problem moving my lingering to elsewhere in the hotel if the staff are cool about it.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
I usually get to the breakfast buffet 30 to 15 minutes before closing and have never had the staff be rude to me. If they did, I would just ignore them.

I understand that the picking may get slim by then, but that's my choice to be able to sleep longer.

One time I got up early and went downstairs just to get coffee 15 minutes before start time (coffee available 24/7 at that place) and was shocked that they had breakfast already set up. ^
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Having worked in food service I understand what the restaurant staff are truly afraid of when customers arrive right before closing. It's the customer who arrives in the last few minutes, insists on being served a full complement of fresh menu items, and then sits for over an hour so that the cleaning staff can't finish their jobs on time. This person generally expects refills/more food/dessert/etc. well after stated closing time and pulls the DYKWIA card when told no. Also, this person typically leaves the table and the area 5' around it a complete disaster zone-- further compounding the burden on the cleaning staff who are already behind schedule.

Obviously not every person who comes for breakfast 10 minutes before closing is this problem customer. Thankfully most of us are not. But it happens often enough in the business that I understand a small amount of apprehensiveness from the staff when I enter at the last minute.
trooper, Enigma368, wrp96 and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.