Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's with the bathroom design in these hotels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's with the bathroom design in these hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold (MM), Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
That shower is even better than the hotels that now feel it's a feature to have a bathtub in the sleeping area (i.e., outside the bathroom). Second gripes about low water pressure, toilet paper dispensers that are virtually impossible to reach, no counter space for your toiletries, and glossy (ready super slippery) tub/showers.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by no more lurking
I once stayed in a hotel in Albania that had an electrical outlet in the shower!
That's for your toaster
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:57 pm

I believe the OP is not refering to cultural differences like using a squat toilet in Asia or a tent toilet at Base Camp at 17000 feet in the Himilayas. I think the OP is referring to hotels in cities that are modern but poorly designed for privacy when two people are sharing a room. We all know that everyone farts, but we really don't want our traveling companion to hear it coming from the hotel bathroom when we are there for a romantic rendezvous.
fatmenace likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 11:15 pm

The two hot wires in the "rest of the world" each have 110-120 VAC 50/60 hertz plus a ground. The USA usually has one 110-120 VAC 60 Hertz plus a ground and neutral which is tied to ground at the breaker box. They are all pretty much equally likely to electrocute you if you short them from one hand to the other or drop a plugged in hair dryer in the tub while taking a bath. Your mileage may vary.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:53 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by stevemustangred
The two hot wires in the "rest of the world" each have 110-120 VAC 50/60 hertz plus a ground. The USA usually has one 110-120 VAC 60 Hertz plus a ground and neutral which is tied to ground at the breaker box. They are all pretty much equally likely to electrocute you if you short them from one hand to the other or drop a plugged in hair dryer in the tub while taking a bath. Your mileage may vary.
No, that's how 240-volt circuits are supplied in North America. Places where 230 volts is the standard have a 230-volt hot wire, a neutral, and a ground.
stevemustangred and TWA884 like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
That shower in the Netherlands - in case you need to keep your eye on the highway while showering. Where is that, by the way? I'm traveling to Amsterdam in April, and that is completely unacceptable. Is the toilet out on a ledge somewhere?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by RAAng
That shower in the Netherlands - in case you need to keep your eye on the highway while showering. Where is that, by the way? I'm traveling to Amsterdam in April, and that is completely unacceptable. Is the toilet out on a ledge somewhere?
That's the Fletcher Hotel, in the Zuidoost. I wouldn't bother with it unless you're working in Amsterdam near Bijlmer/Diemen-Zuid, and even then, there are some perfectly decent other options. I spent a couple of weeks in the hotel last year, and it's fine if you're a solo traveller (I thought the breakfast was decent, and the view rather good). It's less fine if you're going with someone, and don't want to watch another person take a shower.

From what I recall, the toilet is in a cylindrical enclosure with a sliding door in one corner.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Most of my issues have been mentioned but a few I've seen in the last year that haven't been mentioned:

1. Shower heads at inappropriate heights. I'm not tall, and I've had a few showers in the past year where the shower head was so high I couldn't reach it to adjust it. Of those, only one hotel had a wand, but unfortunately it was so high I couldn't reach it either. Lest someone who is tall think I'm discriminating, I've also had a few where the shower head was so low I was quite happy to be short, and wondered how an average height person much less a tall person would be able to take shower there.

2. Showers that force you to stand in the shower directly in the spray of water to turn them on. No I don't want to be sprayed with whatever temp water the person before me chose, and I don't always want to get my hair wet when I'm taking a shower but I encountered a few showers in the last year where I had no choice because of where the controls were.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Dianne47
I skimmed the thread and didn't see my #1 hotel pet peeve. What's up with pedestal sinks in hotel bathrooms??? Dumb dumb dumb. No place to put cosmetics, skin care products, electric toothbrush charging base, or anything else. This is a travesty, especially against women travelers/guests. I carefully check tripadvisor and other review sites for photos of bathrooms and won't book ones with pedestal sinks or any of the above-mentioned in this thread. I'm retired and can stay anywhere I want, I realize corporate travelers often cannot choose.

I also detest toilets without a lid, spewing toilet water droplets with every flush anyone?

My criteria for hotel rooms: big vanity, toilet with a lid, deep-enough sink to hand-wash apparel plus a towel rack above the tub or shower to hang sink-laundered clothing (I travel with a flat sink stopper just in case), empty fridge for my Diet Dr. Peppers, proper luggage rack, easily reachable outlets for chargers, desk for laptop work. And, as many here have mentioned, bathroom privacy. I agree with others who recommend hotel room designers take some trips staying in their work, and how about focus groups with real frequent travelers.

The worst in my experience? Those Citizen M hotels. Stayed at the AMS airport location once and never again in that chain.
Kind of like Economy Class (ie Cattle Class) on long distance flights. The airline executives should be issued only economy class tickets on their business trips overseas. How quickly we would see all new economy class seating with a minium of 34 inch pitch.
Dianne47 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijkh
OHH yes the old bathroom barn door. I am looking at you Kimpton Palomar. I nearly broke my finger in the door accidentally. It took 6 month for that nail to recover. Even worse was my other half found himself locked in the bathroom Why? It was due a faulty slide mechanism of the "barn"door. He ended up spending much of that night in the bathroom(long story). Our grandkids were in the next room and also found themselves stuck in the bathroom.

Designers of hotel bathrooms say NO to the barn door except in the barn.
I believe barn doors make it easier for people in wheelchairs to open / close - I have certainly had them when I have ended up in a modified hotel room, so wonder if they are becoming more standard as accessibility needs increase / are more legislated for?
not2017 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dragonlady13
That shower is even better than the hotels that now feel it's a feature to have a bathtub in the sleeping area (i.e., outside the bathroom). .
I can understand that one when you're talking a room with a great view in a secluded resort area. A random urban skyscraper with a view of a highway interchange, not so much.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by emma69
I believe barn doors make it easier for people in wheelchairs to open / close - I have certainly had them when I have ended up in a modified hotel room, so wonder if they are becoming more standard as accessibility needs increase / are more legislated for?
That makes sense. I just posted reviews on 5 hotels last week on tripadvisor and majority of the follow-up questions on the reviews were asking about handicap access.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:27 am

I hate bathroom faucets where the lever for the drain stopper is so cleverly hidden that it takes three bloodhounds and a dowser to locate it...the first time I encountered one I had thought the stopper was one of those press down to plug/press again to release versions, but the lever was on the back of the faucet where I might have noticed it in the reflection from the mirror if said mirror had gone all the way down to the counter.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:32 am

Years ago I was on a tour and we were checked into a hotel that had frosted glass at the bottom of the bathroom door/walls and clear glass on top. I was alone so it didn't matter, but we had one father-daughter combination that they had to find another room for in another hotel. Several older women traveling together found it disturbing also. Really, you can't make this stuff up.

And don't get me started on the lack of shelf space, and lack of hangers for damp but still reusable towels.
Dianne47 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by ABax
(I thought the breakfast was decent, and the view rather good).
Originally Posted by beachmouse
I can understand that one when you're talking a room with a great view in a secluded resort area. A random urban skyscraper with a view of a highway interchange, not so much.
Perhaps the view in question was from the highway interchange, looking in?
I find the two chairs set facing the shower vaguely unsettling.

One thing that bothers me, and I have found at several hotels in the UK, is the bottom of the tub being higher than the floor. So when you go to step out of the tub you end up stepping down...with one foot still planted on a potentially slippery wet surface.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.