Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's with the bathroom design in these hotels?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's with the bathroom design in these hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:43 am
Suspended

Easy solution, don't stay in hotels, never leave your home where you have no doubt had your bathroom custom renovated to suit your exact needs and preferences.

Come on, not everywhere is the same as you are used to at home or would prefer. Is this your first time travelling away from home or something? What are you going to do when you arrive in a hotel room to find that it is a 'squat' toilet? https://www.google.com/search?q=squa...w=1350&bih=648

They are considered far more hygenic than a toilet seat. And for the comment about toilet paper holders in the wrong place, note in some of the photos, the hose and tap. There is no toilet paper, you use the hose and tap and your HAND to clean your butt. That will no doubt freak some people out. Or how about some public toilets in some countries like say France, that are unisex. A woman walks in, goes to a cubicle after walking past 3 men standing at urinals perhaps. Or the old style public toilets in the streets of Paris where you can see the legs of those using them. Here is a modern day version in Paris.

If you are going to travel, i suggest you get used to things being different. Otherwise, you are likely to find a whole lot of things you are going to waste your time and energy being annoyed with.

On a liighter note, here is a toilet photo(shopped) from Paris I find particularly amusing. https://www.boredpanda.com/donald-tr...mpaign=organic
lhrsfo, not2017 and somemale like this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:09 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
W hotels and almost any hotel built in Barcelona in the last 30 years are both particularly bad at this. Like the OP, I dislike designing the toilet so your significant other can hear the detail of what is going on.

The weirdest i’ve ever seen was a non-chain hotel in a town in Germany which had a window connecting the bed with the toilet so that if you were on your bed you could watch everything your partner was up to on the toilet (no curtain/ other way to close it off). Luckily I was alone for that one.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
Easy solution, don't stay in hotels, never leave your home where you have no doubt had your bathroom custom renovated to suit your exact needs and preferences.

Come on, not everywhere is the same as you are used to at home or would prefer. Is this your first time travelling away from home or something? What are you going to do when you arrive in a hotel room to find that it is a 'squat' toilet? https://www.google.com/search?q=squa...w=1350&bih=648

They are considered far more hygenic than a toilet seat. And for the comment about toilet paper holders in the wrong place, note in some of the photos, the hose and tap. There is no toilet paper, you use the hose and tap and your HAND to clean your butt. That will no doubt freak some people out. Or how about some public toilets in some countries like say France, that are unisex. A woman walks in, goes to a cubicle after walking past 3 men standing at urinals perhaps. Or the old style public toilets in the streets of Paris where you can see the legs of those using them. Here is a modern day version in Paris. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXEfamzHySQ

If you are going to travel, i suggest you get used to things being different. Otherwise, you are likely to find a whole lot of things you are going to waste your time and energy being annoyed with.

On a liighter note, here is a toilet photo(shopped) from Paris I find particularly amusing. https://www.boredpanda.com/donald-tr...mpaign=organic
that is a strange reply...we travel a lot, have been to over 50 countries, and have stayed in accommodations ranging the full spectrum...from over-the-top luxury to basic tents in the bush...
My complaint is not with squat toilets where you cover your business with hay (Black Sheep Inn, Ecuadorean Andes), or the bathroom behind a canvas half-wall (Kunene Lodge, Angolan-Namibian border), or any one of the hotels in remote places we've stayed in.

My complaint is with international chain hotels (Hilton Sydney, Novotel Auckland, where I just came back from, and so many others I can't recall now), who put some misguided esthetic over common sense.

I love to experience new cultures...but as far as I know, all of them value toilet privacy...except India...where they don't need no toilets....
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
W hotels and almost any hotel built in Barcelona in the last 30 years are both particularly bad at this. Like the OP, I dislike designing the toilet so your significant other can hear the detail of what is going on.

The weirdest i’ve ever seen was a non-chain hotel in a town in Germany which had a window connecting the bed with the toilet so that if you were on your bed you could watch everything your partner was up to on the toilet (no curtain/ other way to close it off). Luckily I was alone for that one.
This and the fact that not everybody is travelling with an intimate partner. Hell, my CAT won't use the litterbox if anyone is in the area, let alone looking at her. Bathroom privacy is not some American/European, or even human, recent construct. I agree that this is style over function taken to a ridiculous degree. May the originator of this nonsense be stuck in a hotel that has glass bathroom walls with his mother.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
. Traveling with a work companion sucks though if in the same room.
Are there companies that still do this in 2019?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by tonyrocks922
Are there companies that still do this in 2019?
Yes, the company I own. In fairness my roommate at the hotel is my business partner and future brother in law. We are both trying to save every dollar possible right now.
lupine likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
My pet peeve is old-fashioned bathrooms with enclosed showers that are too small and made of cheap plastic, shower controls that are not thermostatic, shower heads which do not provide a soft overall shower, basins with non-thermostatic mixer taps and plugs which don't work. And, come to think of it, an overall excellent stay at an AC Hotel was ruined by a basin which was very wide (so wasted a lot of water and time when filling), wasted time draining too slowly and was flat and rectangular at the bottom so didn't drain clean.

Otherwise the bathroom was delightful and incorporated many of the aesthetically pleasing design elements the OP doesn't like.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I've been in some Grand Hyatts, etc. where the shower enclosure is one single pane of vertically mounted glass -- no door, no slider -- with the effect that containing splash / runoff water is impossible. Like the clean look, hate the broken-water-main-crisis effect. We are having our master bathroom redone at home and asked the contractor if there was any way to achieve the Hyatt shower-design look without feeling like you're in a submarine that's been hit. He said no.

Other pet peeves about hotel bathrooms: inscrutable water flow controls, no counter space for stuff, and twee shampoo / amenities where I can't get the top off the bottle, can't read to identify what's inside without my glasses, cannot extricate high-viscosity product from inside.
obscure2k, CDTraveler and KRSW like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BearX220
I've been in some Grand Hyatts, etc. where the shower enclosure is one single pane of vertically mounted glass -- no door, no slider -- with the effect that containing splash / runoff water is impossible. Like the clean look, hate the broken-water-main-crisis effect. We are having our master bathroom redone at home and asked the contractor if there was any way to achieve the Hyatt shower-design look without feeling like you're in a submarine that's been hit. He said no.

Other pet peeves about hotel bathrooms: inscrutable water flow controls, no counter space for stuff, and twee shampoo / amenities where I can't get the top off the bottle, can't read to identify what's inside without my glasses, cannot extricate high-viscosity product from inside.
Totally with you on the bottle labeling. One chain I can't remember as I haven't used in while had bottles with a single clear S (shampoo) BW (body wash) or CR (cream rinse) on the front. Clear and simple.

Don't get me started on alarm clocks. Many of them you need a degree in engineering to operate. Hilton? I'm talking about you. All we need is Set time, and a button to turn alarm ON or OFF. That's it. I just set my phone.
CLTUSCAPTIVE likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by milepig
Totally with you on the bottle labeling. One chain I can't remember as I haven't used in while had bottles with a single clear S (shampoo) BW (body wash) or CR (cream rinse) on the front. Clear and simple.

Don't get me started on alarm clocks. Many of them you need a degree in engineering to operate. Hilton? I'm talking about you. All we need is Set time, and a button to turn alarm ON or OFF. That's it. I just set my phone.
Slowly I’m seeing more of these clocks show up in Hilton properties. Super simple.

muji and lost_perspicacity like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some of these hotel bathrooms are designed save housekeeping costs as well as construction and maintenance costs. For instance, it's faster to mop a bathroom floor if there aren't doors and walls in the way and better yet if the toilet is mounted from the wall rather than attached to the floor, while a pedestal sink would be bad as one would need to mop/clean the floor space behind the pedestal. I suspect that glass walls need little maintenance (no repainting) although they look terrible if not cleaned well.

One of my bathroom pet peeves is being able to see the pipes under the sink while sitting in the bath tub. Plumbing should be enclosed, even if it's cheaper and easier for maintenance to have the pipes fully accessible with no door or cabinet to hide them. Often the little cosmetic partial wall doesn't go low enough so that the pipes are hidden while one is standing, but not when one sits on the toilet or uses the bathtub.
Fabo.sk likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
an overall excellent stay at an AC Hotel was ruined by a basin which was very wide (so wasted a lot of water and time when filling), wasted time draining too slowly and was flat and rectangular at the bottom so didn't drain clean.
You forgot to also mention that those flat AC Hotel sinks, if you turn on the faucet on fully (out of habit), will redirect and spray water back at you.
not2017 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:18 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by wds17
You forgot to also mention that those flat AC Hotel sinks, if you turn on the faucet on fully (out of habit), will redirect and spray water back at you.
Uggh, Hyatt Andaz Maui had that. Also makes it impossible to rinse out a swim suit in those flat sinks.
Emeraldcity and not2017 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Uggh, Hyatt Andaz Maui had that. Also makes it impossible to rinse out a swim suit in those flat sinks.
Shower in your trunks and hang them up before stepping out!
dlflyer2 and not2017 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:24 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by wds17
Shower in your trunks and hang them up before stepping out!
That is what my husband does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.