Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Dual citizens - do you always travel with 2 passports?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Those of you who have dual nationalities, do you always carry 2 passports with you when travelling to 3rd countries? As somebody who has both US/EU passport I wonder what to do. Most of the visa regulations are the same regardless which one I use - especially South East Asia. So I am just curious what others are doing. Do you leave one home or you take both?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:34 am

I always travel with my US passport. I only bring my Swedish passport with me if I am traveling to the EU or somewhere which requires a visa for US citizens but not for Swedish/EU citizens. Why carry around 2 passports unnecessarily?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by B747forever
I always travel with my US passport...
I do the same but I found some people hate on america. For this reason, I was thinking, showing the other passport might alleviate the tension :-)

Originally Posted by B747forever
Why carry around 2 passports unnecessarily?
I am asking myself the same question. But I am trying to see if there is a benefit carrying both. One thing that pops up is Asian motorbike rental companies, could use one passport as a deposit.

Anyways, what do other people think?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by parnass1
I do the same but I found some people hate on america. For this reason, I was thinking, showing the other passport might alleviate the tension :-)
I don’t care about such narrow minded people that will judge you based on the passport you are carrying rather than the person you are.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:30 am

Programs: BAEC
I personally have dual nationality, and I never travel with both passport. I don't see benefit of bringing both.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ktllo
I personally have dual nationality, and I never travel with both passport. I don't see benefit of bringing both.
which one do you pick?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I do - I have both Irish and British citizenship - and before Ireland joined the EU and we all got the same passport, having an Irish passport saved hours standing in the British passports immigration queue....

coming back to the UK on a package holiday flight at the same time as loads of others, meant that the queues of U.K. Passport holders was far far longer than the one for "all other passports". I used to zoom through that one and be at the carousel collecting bags while the others queued...

with Brexit I can see it working the other way.... my British passport runs out just after we revert to a blue cover non EU one so I will have both again.....
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
I bring only which passports I plan to use for the trip I'm currently taking.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In some countries where hotels register the passport/visa, you'd better show the same passport at check in as the one you used to enter the country. Otherwise you could use a different passport within the country for ID purposes (for example, to use a credit card or prove your age), although again if you're required to carry the passport or show it to police, you should show the one you used to enter.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
As I understand it from my dual citizen missus who is American, you have to enter and exit the US on your US passport. For the UK she enters on her British passport.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It depends where I am going - if I am doing a trip to the EU I bring both my passports, as having my EU one lets me get through quicker, normally. I need to reenter Canada on my Canadian passport, so it comes too. Most countries the visa situation is the same for British and Canadian, so if it is a non EU country with no visa differences, I will just use my Canadian one. My passports are staggered, so that I should never be without one while the other is being renewed. It can also be helpful if I need to physically send off for a visa.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:55 am
Original Poster

guys, thanks for all the answers, you all brought up very valid points. If the visa situation is the same for US/EU passport one should really stay home because you could lose it, and you won't be able to use it as an ID for the reasons aforementioned. I am currently in EU so I think I will just take my EU passport on my roundtrip to Asia next week.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by parnass1
guys, thanks for all the answers, you all brought up very valid points. If the visa situation is the same for US/EU passport one should really stay home because you could lose it, and you won't be able to use it as an ID for the reasons aforementioned. I am currently in EU so I think I will just take my EU passport on my roundtrip to Asia next week.
"If the visa situation is the same for US/EU.....stay home" doesn't make sense.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:46 am
Suspended

I have triple citizenship. Born to German American parents in Canada. So Canadian, American, German..now EU.

However, I live in the US, so I only travel on the US passport. It just means less hassle coming home. I have thought about travel in Europe between Shengen countries on the EU passport..but honestly, the difference in line length isn't significant enough to warrant using it. Plus, if my departure country is different than my arrival country the stamps in my passport may be inconsistent, triggering issues when I arrive back in the US.

When I go to Canada I still travel on the US passport
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Proudelitist

Plus, if my departure country is different than my arrival country the stamps in my passport may be inconsistent, triggering issues when I arrive back in the US.
I enter the EU on my EU passport, and leave on my Canadian passport. Very rarely does anyone care, I'd say 90% of the time no one notices - Canada has never cared, it has only ever been ones that have exit controls in the EU, I got asked by the exit control in Rome where my entry stamp was last year, so simply showed my EU passport - they are very used to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.