Wiki Posts
Search

Break up reason

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mordac
There's three ways to swing in this game, surely?
SkyTeam is dirty 🤣
Mordac likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Sealink
SkyTeam is dirty 🤣
Don't let Saudia know!
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I broke up with a girl because she only wanted to fly jetblue.
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA:Silver (thanks paternity perk) , HH:Diamond
Originally Posted by rossmacd
What about those of us who swing both ways?
boarding cards in bowl at the centurion lounge?
Sealink, rossmacd and Mordac like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA1K, QF Plat, *A & Marriot Gold, OW Emerald, Hyatt Hertz PC CanPass Nexus APEC Global Entry
Originally Posted by tynmar

boarding cards in bowl at the centurion lounge?
it gets better if the bowl is for random shared shower time.....,
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you insist on any partners having the same BAEC renewal date, it decreases your pool of potential mates by a factor of one twelfth unless you can find a BA virgin who interests you and convince that person to go for it, perhaps by giving them a gift of an upgrade or whatever. Champagne might help.

Fortunately legacy USA carriers don't create this problem as the elite (re)qualification year is the calendar year for everyone unless you're doing some special status challenge.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:31 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
This thread was initially posted in the BA forum, but as it's not BA-specific and it probably deserves a wider audience, it has been moved to this section.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:37 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Don't people fly separately and meet up at the destination??

We do that all the time, not for frequent flyer reasons but for all sorts of other practical reasons (having said that, we have even flown in separate cabins on the same aircraft due to his company policy, which I have nothing to do with) and I don't see differences in alliance or airline would be any different.

If my husband was a die-hard Ryanair or SkyTeam fan, I'd let him get on with that, and meet him at the destination - I'd fly either a Star or OW carrier and meet up there.

Someone asked him if we didn't want to be flying together, and his answer is "All she does on a plane is to sleep. She's not much use as an in-flight entertainment". That is entirely true, and I have no objection whatsoever.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Don't people fly separately and meet up at the destination??
My first trip with a partner with minimal international travel experience was supposed to be like this. We couldn't get the same flight since they booked months after I did. But together we researched the destination airport, train schedules to the city, meeting points, etc. I thought we had a good plan. And then their outbound was delayed something like six hours. So I asked them to ask the GA to rebook them on my flight. GA did so. Trip went splendidly, except that even together we got lost in the train station at the destination.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I live in Pennsylvania. I one went on a first date with someone in New York, and two weeks later she moved to Las Vegas and I had a business meeting there a week after that so we had a second date. I told her I'd be interested in a relationship but only if I could find a way to fast-track to elite status on US (this was in the last 6 months before the merger). I told her I couldn't commute regularly PHL-LAS in a regular coach seat. I did a status challenge, and the rest is (deeply regrettable) history.
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you insist on any partners having the same BAEC renewal date, it decreases your pool of potential mates by a factor of one twelfth unless you can find a BA virgin who interests you and convince that person to go for it,
Uhh, it decreases your pool by 11/12. leaving you with 1/12....
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
My SO flies non-rev for a *A airline and coincidentally, I only bank in the SkyTeam and oneworld FFPs. It's so hard to sort out sometimes... but we're not breaking up
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I was mostly OW for many years. Wife was *A. We always worked it to our advantage...twice as many award possibilities. Our business trips were to different cities so it wasn't like we were flying together on the revenue flights anyway.

She actually hit 1K whereas I was usually AA Plat. If we did a revenue trip together, she'd book it and we'd use SWUs.

Eventually kids came along and now we're mostly low-tier mutts. We are more likely now to split up 2 and 3 due to award availability or whatnot. Just meet up again on the other end, even for long-haul trips. Kids are used to it and have become pretty good travelers themselves.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I fly with my wife and stepson on OW. Neither of them has status and I rotate the lounge visits based on who is hungry, which is normally my 17 y/o. He's at that age where a buffet a mere starter, so I can save myself a fortune on airline/airport food by taking him in instead of my wife. The latter is more than happy with her iPad and when on board just has a wine or two and drops off to sleep until we land, so no great dramas caused.
Dublin_rfk and wilsnunn like this.

Last edited by TTmex; Dec 28, 2018 at 2:48 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
This would be a major deal point for me. SkyTeam and friends are preferred. I can deal with StarA, but OneWorld? Not gonna happen!
Sealink likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.