Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Rude to walk in front of people in your same group/zone just before boarding?

Rude to walk in front of people in your same group/zone just before boarding?

Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Your boarding pass doesn't have your address or SSN or annual salary or anything like that on it. Why would someone get so upset over seeing another's boarding pass?
Because my name, seat location, zone and airline status are none of your business.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
The person who cut in front of me was around my age and was of the same race and gender as I am, and nothing about the person's clothing or belongings (or accent) indicated that the person was non-American. Thus I can't attribute a cultural reason for the person's behavior.
Did they also have the same upbringing, religion, ethnic heritage, worldview, marital status, parental status, personality, and come from the same environment as you? Even siblings can have vastly different personalities and perspectives and could behave very differently in the same situation. Someone being close in age, color, fashion sense, and speech doesn't make that person the same as you.

You keep adding more details to the story. Based on what you relayed, you were not in the chute and the other person went in front of you into the chute. Did you then block the chute, causing the person to tell you to let his spouse through? Maybe you call it rude and maybe the other guy calls it taking the initiative when you, for some reason, were just standing around. Maybe he didn't hear the announcement, or did but took it as a suggestion, or felt it was close enough to boarding to stand in line, or really wanted to get in line first for other reasons regardless of any announcements.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter if you're first or third of fifth or tenth in line, does it?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Because my name, seat location, zone and airline status are none of your business.
I cover up my name and frequent flyer number with my hand.

Apart from that, who cares? Everyone will see which zone I’m in and which seat I’m in when we board-and I want people to see my status and zone number so they won’t think I’m rude when I move to board with my zone.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:17 pm

I don't get why basic queue etiquette breaks down so much at airports!

Here's a queue (G is the gate, X are people, E is the end person)

G
X
X
X
X
X
E

The only place you join a queue is at "E". You don't join at G or X. I will tell someone off if they push in front of me, but if they push in 2 in front, I have no power. I do think that queue attendants would build a lot more civility but would be an additional cost for the airlines/airports.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I find the etiquette of this a bit confusing, particularly in the US where the current boarding group system started (and has largely been shown to be superior to other approaches and is being adopted everywhere).

Boarding a United Houston Bonaire flight the other day Group 3 was being boarded, but everyone in the waiting area was in a single line. I was in Group 3 and eventually just stood at the back of the line and boarded last (by which points Group 3 and 4 were boarding according to the monitor, though no announcements had been made since Group 2).
So you did the right thing ethically, and were punished. Good on you, but airlines should work harder to not punish good people.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by akl_traveller

G
X
X
X
X
X
E

The only place you join a queue is at "E". You don't join at G or X. I will tell someone off if they push in front of me, but if they push in 2 in front, I have no power. I do think that queue attendants would build a lot more civility but would be an additional cost for the airlines/airports.
Don’t disagree, but now that United preboards 1K before group 1, when flying them I don’t have a queue. Instead I just lurk near the gate and go to the front when 1K is called.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Silver

G
X
X
X
X
X
E

But my reading of OP is that he/she was A in something like:

G
X
X
E

OOAOO

I.e. lurking behind the queue with others (O), but not actually in it, in which the new arrival acted perfectly reasonably in going straight to E.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL PM
The blob of people who aren’t in a line but who are congregating near the boarding gate are not my problem. Either you’re in a line or you’re not. I respect lines and will work hard to figure out which one is mine and join it at the back. That’s why, when flying DL, I’m pro-pillar. If I’m feeling cranky and inclined to point the finger of blame, I lean toward pointing it at the airlines for creating this morass in the first place. Airport gates weren’t originally designed to hold adequate seating plus half a dozen special lanes.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by dalehill
The blob of people who aren’t in a line but who are congregating near the boarding gate are not my problem. Either you’re in a line or you’re not. I respect lines and will work hard to figure out which one is mine and join it at the back. That’s why, when flying DL, I’m pro-pillar. If I’m feeling cranky and inclined to point the finger of blame, I lean toward pointing it at the airlines for creating this morass in the first place. Airport gates weren’t originally designed to hold adequate seating plus half a dozen special lanes.
Agreed. And it could be solved by doing what they do in the checkin area with snake queues using ropes to create a S- shaped queue - you can't join from the side there! (well without being super obvious)
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
In the U.S., it's two things.

(1) Every airline has a different system. There is no single universal etiquette.
(2) Most gates at most airports have no such queues. It's not four to six well-marked, roped off GXXXXXE queues. It's Gblob. Even within the AA system, it varies widely by airport.

Southwest is really the only one that tries for form queues everywhere using a system that is consistent throughout their network.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Given the number of boarding zones, not to mention the insanity of so many "priority boarding" levels (making "group 1" more or less in the middle), the other airlines should just do the same as Southwest. The highest priority 7 people get boarding numbers 1-7. The second highest priority 12 people get boarding numbers 8-19, and so on.
pinniped likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
the other airlines should just do the same as Southwest.
Agreed. Flyertalk revels in making fun of it, but it works. There is no gate lice issue and it flows well. It's a superior process: I say this with lots of experience as both elite and non-elite using it.
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
In the U.S., it's two things.

(1) Every airline has a different system. There is no single universal etiquette.
(2) Most gates at most airports have no such queues. It's not four to six well-marked, roped off GXXXXXE queues. It's Gblob. Even within the AA system, it varies widely by airport.

Southwest is really the only one that tries for form queues everywhere using a system that is consistent throughout their network.
It's terrible in NZ too despite the fact we are generally pretty good queuers otherwise (we're even pretty good at pre-queueing for buses, usually...)

Thinking outside the box - plenty of airlines nowadays give your carry on bag a tag - why not take the opportunity to give a colour coded tag for the boarding zones? I.e. "if you have a green tag..."
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by pinniped
Agreed. Flyertalk revels in making fun of it, but it works. There is no gate lice issue and it flows well. It's a superior process: I say this with lots of experience as both elite and non-elite using it.
Indeed! I laugh every time I read a post in the Southwest forum where someone is complaining about or making fun of the Southwest boarding process. I always wonder: Has that person ever flown on AA or Delta? Or United? Seems like they probably haven't.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.