Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airline Service Cutbacks -Basic Econ etc. should be illegal

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Airline Service Cutbacks -Basic Econ etc. should be illegal

I think there needs to be a law stating that all Economy products should be 34-36 inches with 18" width. The Basic Economy, less legroom and charge for checked bags should be illegal. First of all its a waste of time for flight attendants to shuffle luggage that people have brought on especially on the Embraer Jets.

This Basic Economy, small legroom , pay to access overhead space should be deemed illegal in the court of law. Also the first bag should be free and then the airline could charge $100 for the 2nd Bag or fly First Class.

Also bring back complimentary meals and drinks. Its enough nickle and diming customers. These Low Cost Carriers not offering complimentary beverages should be illegal.

Water is a basic need not a right that you have to pay for. If you want to fly then airlines should rework their financial structure. Airlines are penalizing customers by having all these add ons.

I want to purchase one ticket and have everything included and not be bombarded with sales pitches, upgrade this and that. I hate this ala carte pricing. When I book a trip I save up for the flight, hotel and other expenses. No one said that everyone is owed a job that pays well for flights. I am sorry to say that because of this nickel and diming some passengers are entitled and cause issues when something goes wrong.

Flying is a privilege and not a right. It should be either you have been responsible and saved up for your trip or not

Why should many others suffer the cramped legoom in Coach I can see Premium Economy at 38" and yes will pay for that but the standard Economy should be between 34- 36" legroom at seats at 18" with all meals and drinks alcoholic or not included.

Airlines like Southwest can offer low cost flights but the legacy carriers should be more standardized. This Basic Economy structure is so frustrating and I will not fall for this crap.

Lets make flying great again back to the 70s 80s.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by danielonn
I think there needs to be a law stating that all Economy products should be 34-36 inches with 18" width. The Basic Economy, less legroom and charge for checked bags should be illegal. First of all its a waste of time for flight attendants to shuffle luggage that people have brought on especially on the Embraer Jets.

This Basic Economy, small legroom , pay to access overhead space should be deemed illegal in the court of law. Also the first bag should be free and then the airline could charge $100 for the 2nd Bag or fly First Class.

Also bring back complimentary meals and drinks. Its enough nickle and diming customers. These Low Cost Carriers not offering complimentary beverages should be illegal.

Water is a basic need not a right that you have to pay for. If you want to fly then airlines should rework their financial structure. Airlines are penalizing customers by having all these add ons.

I want to purchase one ticket and have everything included and not be bombarded with sales pitches, upgrade this and that. I hate this ala carte pricing. When I book a trip I save up for the flight, hotel and other expenses. No one said that everyone is owed a job that pays well for flights. I am sorry to say that because of this nickel and diming some passengers are entitled and cause issues when something goes wrong.

Flying is a privilege and not a right. It should be either you have been responsible and saved up for your trip or not

Why should many others suffer the cramped legoom in Coach I can see Premium Economy at 38" and yes will pay for that but the standard Economy should be between 34- 36" legroom at seats at 18" with all meals and drinks alcoholic or not included.

Airlines like Southwest can offer low cost flights but the legacy carriers should be more standardized. This Basic Economy structure is so frustrating and I will not fall for this crap.

It seems you missed the ever increasing add on fees, smaller seats, and reduction of everything on planes over the last decade or two.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite

This Basic Economy structure is so frustrating and I will not fall for this crap.

Way too much thrown in the OP to tackle, though generally it is a call for a return to the days of airline regulation. But as to the above snippets:

- No, flying in general is a right, not a privilege in a free society.

- No one is forcing you to "fall for" Basic Economy - you're free to purchase regular economy (or J/F) if BE doesn't meet your needs.

- Do you want to pay 1970s inflation-adjusted fares as well?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:32 pm

This week's comedy Friday post has come a day early.

It's a free market. If you don't like, don't buy.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:38 pm
Suspended

. These Low Cost Carriers not offering complimentary beverages should be illegal.

Not sure you understand how LCC's work. They can offer lower ticket prices because they save money on not offering food or drinks. If they started doing that, they would have to up the ticket prices.

This is a buyer beware situation. Or as the old adage goes, "buy cheap, get cheap". Seriously, would you walk into McDonalds and complain that they don't offer table cloths and candles? PAX are adults and should know what they are getting into. If they don't , it's not the airline's fault. Complaining about upsell costs on Spirit Airlines is about as sensible as complaining that your Chevy Aveo doesn't have heated and cooled massaging seats.

But I agree on the part about making airtravel more like it was in the 80's. I am completely for taking it back up market so it is affordable to a better class of people. I could still afford it..but those burger king toting, mouth breathing, high bmi pax who use garbage bags as luggage couldn't. That would be amazing! But I am realistic about it too..market share is more imporantant as a profit generator than premium pricing. You don't make money without volume, and no frills is a high volume product.
rbwpi and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 84fiero
- No, flying in general is a right, not a privilege in a free society.
What? Freedom of movement is a right in most countries..but there is nothing specifying a right to a specific MODE of movement.

If it were a right, we wouldn't be paying for it.
closecover, rbwpi, ajGoes and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
What? Freedom of movement is a right in most countries..but there is nothing specifying a right to a specific MODE of movement.

Rights are not necessarily free to exercise, such as guns or paper signs.
moondog, emrdoc and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA

I would love to return to 1970's-80's air travel, but legislating it into existence just won't work. Competition is what we need rather than just three legacy airlines, Southwest, and the LCC. Making that happen is quite difficult, unfortunately.

What I put in bold, free booze by law, is just laughable.
moondog, Yoshi212 and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Proudelitist

You're conflating a right to travel with free provision of travel services, which is not at all what I said. One is free to travel by any means available (with limited reasonable controls of course - traffic laws, safety standards, etc - the extent of such regulation may be a subject for debate). Since the time that airline service began operation, people are as free to travel by air as they are to travel by horse, train, or walking. That doesn't mean the government is provisioning air travel for free, any more than they're providing free hay for horses, diesel for trains, or food to sustain one's energy in walking. The right to a free press doesn't imply the government buys printing presses and paper...the right to bear arms doesn't mean the government is giving out free rifles.

It's still up to us (in a capitalist system) to purchase air travel as with most any other supply or service! That doesn't take away our right to do so!
Yoshi212 and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Feel to start your own airline ...
trooper and writerguyfl like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Curse you, free market and all your choices and freedom to choose to use or not use any specific provider!!!

Yea, let's double the cost of every single flight so many fewer people can "saved up for your trip ".

Maybe we can up the passenger fatality rate per mile traveled by 25x too!

I want to purchase one ticket and have everything included and not be bombarded with sales pitches, upgrade this and that.
I have your airline!

http://www.airkoryo.com.kp/
jinglish and nancypants like this.

Last edited by CPRich; Dec 20, 2018 at 8:38 pm
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I think there needs to be a law
Here's how that works...

" Some folks back home decided they wanted a law passed, so they called their local Congressman and he said, "You're right, there oughta be a law.""

Good luck.
Redhead, LarryJ, danielonn and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
To be fair to the OP - basic economy is a pain in ....
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:35 pm

Ban what most passengers want. Yeah, that sound sensible.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I draw the line with charging for in-cabin baggage, because that's an essential part of a trip. United and the LCCs need to be forced to stop that practice IMO. I also agree that 30" pitch is too small, having flowing BA and knowing AA is coming out with the same.

While we're having fun with the topic, can we force 18" or wider seats in economy too, at least on a widebody? Basically let's go back to the 3-3-3 on a Boeing 777, and the intended 2-4-2 on a Boeing 787.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.