Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

International flight / long duration trip / strategy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Hello, I am in process of planning a trip overseas for two adults and one child. We need to leave in June 2019, return May 2020

From reading posts on this forum, it sounds like the best approach is to 1) book the cheapest round trip we can find, then 2) after using the first leg - once we have reached our destination - either pay a change fee to change the return date to May 2019, or cancel the 2nd leg and book a completely new round trip ticket. Basically whichever is cheaper

This strategy seems like it might cost $6-8k total for either one ticket + change fees, or two round trip tickets + use one leg of each. By comparison, trying to book a refundable coach ticket produces something in the vicinity of a $12k total cost. Waiting to book a ticket until May 2019 seems questionable, because by then we'd be booking one month out, and ticket prices might be more expensive?

1) would you agree / is this correct? we would welcome input on alternate strategies, and if there any risks that we're not aware of - for example, do airlines track this behavior and prevent/flag it in the future?
2) after using the first leg, if we cancel the 2nd leg, do we retain any flight credit? The rules/terms are really dense and it's unclear if this is the case. my assumption is no.

Thank you!

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Dec 17, 2018 at 8:06 am Reason: corrected date typo as OP states below
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
It's a bit confusing - why can't you simply book a roundtrip?
Also - your dates imply you are time traveling?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Ha! Thank you. Should be May 2019 to June 2020

to your question, we’d have to wait until April to book a round trip ... my assumption is booking a trip to depart within 4 weeks might be pricier? However sounds like that might be a bad assumption?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Yes, the main issue is that I can't book a ticket with the duration that I need ... in other words, even if I wait until the day before departure, I can't book a return trip far enough out
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I think that's because the ticket fare rules usually require that the validity of the ticket have to be within a year, so I see your dilemma. I'm sure there are those here who are very well-versed on ticketing rules who can chime in. Perhaps if you offered some info on routing and airlines, people can drill in better.

Sounds like your thought is instead of two one-way tickets, it might be cheaper to do "throw-away" tickets, where you end up purchasing two roundtrips A-B-A and B-A-B and only use the outbound flight on each one?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by majortom22
Ha! Thank you. Should be May 2019 to June 2020

to your question, we’d have to wait until April to book a round trip ... my assumption is booking a trip to depart within 4 weeks might be pricier? However sounds like that might be a bad assumption?
Yes, the main issue is that I can't book a ticket with the duration that I need ... in other words, even if I wait until the day before departure, I can't book a return trip far enough out
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I think that's because the ticket fare rules usually require that the validity of the ticket have to be within a year, so I see your dilemma. I'm sure there are those here who are very well-versed on ticketing rules who can chime in. Perhaps if you offered some info on routing and airlines, people can drill in better.

Sounds like your thought is instead of two one-way tickets, it might be cheaper to do "throw-away" tickets, where you end up purchasing two roundtrips A-B-A and B-A-B and only use the outbound flight on each one?
As post above, where are you wanting to go from/to?
Depending on the countries-airlines-what ever 2 one ways may (or may not ) be more expensive than a return.
Do not assume flights purchased in other countries work the same as USA.
Do you have any ff miles?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Really need to know the route to be able to give any decent advice.

Historically, there are a lot of routes where buying one-ways was next to impossible other than two obvious choices: overpaying by a huge amount or buying a throwaway ticket. The proliferation of international long(ish)-haul ULCCs has helped in some markets...and there are other markets that would become accessible by combining a long-haul ULCC with one or two short-haul ones.

In other markets, the throwaway ticket is still the better option.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the perspectives! Understood on route-specifics; it's DFW to TLV. Arline agnostic, although more than one stop is a tough putt due to the child being involved. No miles unfortunately (or nowhere near enough to do 3 round trips).
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is open return still a thing?

could check re buying miles and redeeming for one ways
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:51 pm

1) book the cheapest round trip we can find, then 2) after using the first leg - once we have reached our destination - either pay a change fee to change the return date to May 2019
Thank you!
This might be the best option. Just beware that when you call back to re-book the return, you might also have to pay a fare difference in addition to the change fee. To avoid or minimize the fare difference, I would look for a ticket with 12 month maximum stay, and a tentative return date that falls within the same season (I think May is considered "shoulder season" on most trans-Atlantic carriers. September is also considered "shoulder" so you can book your placeholder in September.). Check the fare rule conditions for both directions, you will probably be combining a high season fare for outbound travel in June with a shoulder season fare for return in September (to be changed later to May), make sure both outbound/return permit 12 month maximum stay.

When you call to rebook the return, I would ask if the airline would waive the change fee since your intended return date was outside of the system range at time of booking. It's worth trying, even if you have to call a couple of times to get a helpful agent or a supervisor.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Very helpful - Thanks for the insights!
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by aircam
This might be the best option. Just beware that when you call back to re-book the return, you might also have to pay a fare difference in addition to the change fee. To avoid or minimize the fare difference, I would look for a ticket with 12 month maximum stay, and a tentative return date that falls within the same season (I think May is considered "shoulder season" on most trans-Atlantic carriers. September is also considered "shoulder" so you can book your placeholder in September.). Check the fare rule conditions for both directions, you will probably be combining a high season fare for outbound travel in June with a shoulder season fare for return in September (to be changed later to May), make sure both outbound/return permit 12 month maximum stay.

When you call to rebook the return, I would ask if the airline would waive the change fee since your intended return date was outside of the system range at time of booking. It's worth trying, even if you have to call a couple of times to get a helpful agent or a supervisor.
Another thing to pay attention to is the booking class of the return sectors. There needs to be availability in the same booking class when you rebook. If you do it early, you should be able to find availability in the same booking class for your new return date.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by aircam
I've done similar to this but made the initial booking over the phone and requested a note be added to the booking to say one free date change was agreed. £20 GBP phone booking premium saved £100 GBP date change fee.
aircam likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Hello, I am in process of planning a trip overseas for two adults and one child. We need to leave in June 2019, return May 2019

Thank you!
The only possible way of doing this is to cross the date line - or hire Doctor Who.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Are we all just making this too complicated?

If this were me, I'd do one of two things:

(1) The easy-easy route: just buy three one-way tickets on a single itin, DFW-TLV, for around $1000 per ticket based on June 2019 prices in ITA right now. Do the reverse in early 2020. So you spend around $6k, but only $3k now and $3k later. And no need to phone airlines asking for special favors. I'm not familiar with this specific market, so I'd maybe follow the relevant forum here to find out whether these fares drift lower towards the end of winter for late-spring travel.

(2) The cheaper-but-longer route: buy Dallas to New York as a separate itin. Then buy JFK-TLV. That will run you about $600-650 per person for both tickets. Because I'm personally risk averse, I almost always stay 1 night in NYC when I do this (and I do it about once a year for our family of 5 flying long-haul), so I'd call it $2,200. The reverse, coming back through NYC, might be even cheaper based on the May 2019 fares in reverse. (May 2020 is not loaded yet.) You'd spend $2k now and $2k a year from now. Same thing about timing: I know we have FTers who use this route; they'd have a good idea of when you should be buying a June ticket.

Both of these options seem much better and easier to book than spending $6k right now and asking for special favors from a human on a phone call. It's just a question of whether a two-PNR extra-stop travel grind is worth a couple grand to you.
majortom22 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.