Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

LHR to Jfk, long haul or short?

Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Hello fellow flyertalkheads. Just having an explosive argument with friends regarding LHR to JFK being short or long haul, or if I can throw a curveball at you could it be considered the ever controversial medium haul??
​​​​​​
Regards, gav
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
The route is considered as long haul. Your personal interpretation may vary.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by GavinMansfield
Hello fellow flyertalkheads. Just having an explosive argument with friends regarding LHR to JFK being short or long haul, or if I can throw a curveball at you could it be considered the ever controversial medium haul??
​​​​​​
Regards, gav
I probably would have thrown it in with medium haul, but the amount of lax syd hkg jfk’s I’ve done this year would never consider it long haul 😂
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
The route is considered as long haul. Your personal interpretation may vary.
What metric do you use? I've seen people use the TripAdvisor forum standardisation of long haul being 10 hours or more when leaving the USA or 8 when flying from Europe. Another metric I've seen is popular is how many feature length films at a running time of 90 minutes can you watch? More than 6 is considered long haul where as 3-5 is medium and 2 or less is short haul.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
[deleted] Take it from someone who has flown more than 200,000 miles this year, and most of them for fun. Do I feel the route is long haul? Not really, but the general consensus says otherwise.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Dec 9, 2018 at 7:09 am Reason: Take it easy on the newbie
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I suppose the precise definition of "long" as in long haul is as open to interpretation as the definition of "explosive" in explosive argument. Did you come to blows? Or was it intense after a few jars? Perhaps more heated than explosive and LHR-JFK is perhaps more medium than long, but it's definitely not short.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
My personal guidelines are 5 hours or more is long-haul, 9 hours or more is ultra-long haul. YMMV
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
MCI-ORD is short-haul.
SFO-HKG is long-haul.
Add my vote to the medium-haul category for LHR-JFK.

I look at it this way: I'll tolerate Y for a crazy-low airfare to Europe. I won't do the same for Asia: I'll always buy J or use miles.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: US Gold
In terms of how Britain taxes it, it's long-haul.

wg
eastindywalrus and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what are definitions re numbers of hours?

Originally Posted by wendyg
In terms of how Britain taxes it, it's long-haul.

wg
interesting!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GavinMansfield
​​​​​​
Regards, gav
Neither; it's an afternoon at the bar.
GavinMansfield likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
To me long haul is over 10 hours.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Generally speaking, if airlines consider this route long enough to offer flat beds in business, I'll consider it a long haul flight

That would make the cutoff around 4.5 hours IIRC. In all cases, traversing the atlantic ocean is definitely long haul in the strictest sense of the term.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by thebigben
Generally speaking, if airlines consider this route long enough to offer flat beds in business, I'll consider it a long haul flight

That would make the cutoff around 4.5 hours IIRC. In all cases, traversing the atlantic ocean is definitely long haul in the strictest sense of the term.
I know you're right in any context where long-haul has been given a legal definition (as it has for British taxes). But I still have a hard time thinking of a U.S. transcon as long-haul.

Perhaps it's because airlines have been pretty effective at conditioning us to accept a 737 on a transcon and a 757 on shorter TATLs. Mentally, I still associated long-haul with long-range and long-range with widebodies.
ryw likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by pinniped
I know you're right in any context where long-haul has been given a legal definition (as it has for British taxes). But I still have a hard time thinking of a U.S. transcon as long-haul.

Perhaps it's because airlines have been pretty effective at conditioning us to accept a 737 on a transcon and a 757 on shorter TATLs. Mentally, I still associated long-haul with long-range and long-range with widebodies.
Now this also becomes interesting the other way around with the BA A318 LCY-JFK service, and there's an A321XLR being worked on... I for one would welcome smaller long-range jets to go on long haul flights to smaller destinations without the need for connecting somewhere.

There is an association there - but as planes get better and airlines do away with the "hub" model it may become more and more dependent on destinations rather than just range.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.