Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Women-only plane sections

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Badenoch
I would like it providing the lavs are separated too. Men complete their bodily functions faster than women and don't hog the facilities to apply makeup, fuss with their hair or change into their PJs on a long haul.
I am a man, and I use the lav to change into PJs on long hauls. And I have experienced long waits for a guy to use the lav. And I think it's poor conduct for guys leave the seat up, as they often do.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by catcher1
I am a man, and I use the lav to change into PJs on long hauls. And I have experienced long waits for a guy to use the lav. And I think it's poor conduct for guys leave the seat up, as they often do.
You may self-identify as male but no man ever whines about the seat being left up. Poor conduct is having the seat down when you whiz and leaving it pee spattered.

And PJs are what males wear until around the age of 11.
NPF and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
You may self-identify as male but no man ever whines about the seat being left up. Poor conduct is having the seat down when you whiz and leaving it pee spattered.

And PJs are what males wear until around the age of 11.
Opinions are like you. Everybody has one.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I would like it providing the lavs are separated too. Men complete their bodily functions faster than women and don't hog the facilities to apply makeup, fuss with their hair or change into their PJs on a long haul.

The problem however would be the overhead bins. Rarely is there a flight where there isn't at least one weak/short woman who cant get her bag into the overhead. I have yet to see a weak woman ask another woman for help. Instead they impose on some tall and robust man to help them. If we aren't nearby whatever will the ladies do?
and men pee all over the floor at the best of time, let alone add turbulence and a confined space and us women don't want to go in to the loo after you men.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
and men pee all over the floor at the best of time, let alone add turbulence and a confined space and us women don't want to go in to the loo after you men.
While there definitely is some issue with males splashing the lavatory floors (and more) with urine while urinating (sometimes even if they just urinated while sitting), even women-only lavatories can be gross. Surely some people don’t want to go to lavatory to find the floor and toilet seat splashed with clear signs of a menstruating female having used the lavatory in a messy way, and yet that can be found even in some women-only lavatories.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:58 am
Suspended

So we can put you down in support of separating the sexes on planes? This idea may have more support than first thought
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are airlines with women-only loos - Interjet is the one that springs to mind, but there are others as well.

I think segregating airlines is a bad idea, especially in an age when 'self identification' seemingly trumps all other determinations anyway. Not to mention, what age child is no longer appropriate in a women-only zone (a sign at a local swimming pool years ago said boys over the age of 8 could not use the ladies changing room, for example)

As a woman who has been in uncomfortable situations, you have to be your own advocate. For some, that is saying loudly "OH was that you touching me!" or less obvious to the action itself simply "Please don't do that". If you have a hard time with that, go and see a flight attendant - female, if that makes you more comfortable - I can't recall the last flight I took where there wasn't a female member of crew on board. Failing all else, a little 'localized turbulence' resulting in a drink to the crotch works pretty effectively too.
84fiero and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:14 pm

The problem however would be the overhead bins. Rarely is there a flight where there isn't at least one weak/short woman who cant get her bag into the overhead. I have yet to see a weak woman ask another woman for help. Instead they impose on some tall and robust man to help them. If we aren't nearby whatever will the ladies do?
Hey! This weak, short, 60-something woman finds a way of not imposing on a "tall and robust man" to help her. Last trip with 2x8kg carry-ons the answer was to climb onto the armrest, which are pretty sturdy on an A340 J seat. No "tall and robust man" was imposed on I assure you. BTW, even "tall and robust men" can fairly useless at putting bags in the overhead.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:54 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I've noticed female-only lavs on ANA (NH), and possibly JL.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Do people disagree with the security check lines for women only in the middle east?
No. Neither do I disagree with the Niqab lines at immigration.

Originally Posted by Dadaluma83
Not unprecedented. I've seen public transit that separate women and children. In the Mexico city metro, for example, I believe the first two cars are "solo mujeres y ninos" due to women getting groped on crowded subways.
A few metro lines in Tokyo and Dubai have them as well. They are IMO justified as these trains get extremely crowded at times, making it easy for perverts to grope someone. Given that passengers on a fight have assigned seats, I don't see the overcrowding issue. I'm not sure if the cost to implement this is in relation to the benefits.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I got confused. Thought I was reading Omni and not TravelBuzz. I am not going to comment on all the specific privileged misogynistic comments that are sprinkled throughout this thread, other than to say that I have been groped on a plane before (recently - in the past 3 years), and I did not report it. My upgrade didn’t clear and I was in economy on a long-haul 15 hr international flight. Dozed off and woke up startled with the man next to me trying to retract his hand from under my blanket from my crotch. I pressed the flight attendant call button and no one came. Instead it was remotely turned off without anyone coming about 5 minutes later (or eternity as it felt like). I didn’t know what to do and was embarrassed at that point (no idea why I would feel that way then since all I feel now is anger over it), so I just stayed awake the rest of the flight with about 10 hrs remaining. So yes, this crap happens. It can happen to anyone - including educated western frequent flyers. And unless it happens to you, it’s easy to say what you coulda, woulda, shoulda done. While I’m not advocating that there be separate section for women just to not get harassed on planes, women should just not get harassed or molested on planes period.
GUWonder, 84fiero and roberta_h like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Hey! This weak, short, 60-something woman finds a way of not imposing on a "tall and robust man" to help her. Last trip with 2x8kg carry-ons the answer was to climb onto the armrest, which are pretty sturdy on an A340 J seat. No "tall and robust man" was imposed on I assure you. BTW, even "tall and robust men" can fairly useless at putting bags in the overhead.
Not all 60 year old women are gymnasts. Those who stand on armrests often enough will eventually need a tall and robust man to pick them up off the floor when they fall.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:09 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Enough! Political commentary and legal discourse has been removed, as it is not the subject of this thread. International human rights and justice systems can be discussed in OMNI or other non-FT fora. Let’s please stay on topic - thank you.

/Moderator
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another Piece of History...

Along the lines of Post #12 , is anyone old enough to remember PSA's (Pacific Southwest Airlines) "Men-Only" flights between LAX and SJC back in the 60s & 70s? Back then, they were flying Convair 580s and Lockheed Electras, so the flights took 2 hours. When I was assigned to Los Angeles AFB in the 1980s, my former colleagues told me that "Men-only" flights were on Thursdays and, as far as they knew, only between LAX and SJC. The flight attendants used to take off your shoes, put heavy socks on your feet and passed out drinks, food and cigars. I guess "Men-only" flights went the way of Ladies' Day at major league ballparks.

There's an entire thread on this subject in the UA Mileage Plus Forum.

Last edited by FliesWay2Much; Dec 11, 2018 at 12:40 pm
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
I got confused. Thought I was reading Omni and not TravelBuzz. I am not going to comment on all the specific privileged misogynistic comments that are sprinkled throughout this thread, other than to say that I have been groped on a plane before (recently - in the past 3 years), and I did not report it. My upgrade didn’t clear and I was in economy on a long-haul 15 hr international flight. Dozed off and woke up startled with the man next to me trying to retract his hand from under my blanket from my crotch. I pressed the flight attendant call button and no one came. Instead it was remotely turned off without anyone coming about 5 minutes later (or eternity as it felt like). I didn’t know what to do and was embarrassed at that point (no idea why I would feel that way then since all I feel now is anger over it), so I just stayed awake the rest of the flight with about 10 hrs remaining. So yes, this crap happens. It can happen to anyone - including educated western frequent flyers. And unless it happens to you, it’s easy to say what you coulda, woulda, shoulda done. While I’m not advocating that there be separate section for women just to not get harassed on planes, women should just not get harassed or molested on planes period.
Sorry this happened to you. That is horrible. The person who did that should have been charged with a crime. I understand why you didn't say anything at the time, but this stuff won't stop until the abusers are called out and made to pay for their crime.

Men should not harass or molest women on planes. They should be held legally responsible when they do. To segregate women simply feeds in to the excuse that men cannot help themselves and gives them an out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.