Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Women-only plane sections

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by TBD
...because there were 63 reports of in-flight assault out of something like 850 million passengers in 2017?
One occurrence is one too many, and not all assaults are reported. Also remember that not all assaults are to women only.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: Club Carlson Gold, AMEX Platinum, EBG
Originally Posted by GUWonder
India too.
they also have women only lines at airport security and women only parking areas.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Do people disagree with the security check lines for women only in the middle east?
It's not only in the Middle East. It's to be found in various parts of Asia and Africa, beyond just most parts of the Middle East.

Given the airport pat-down security culture in many parts of the world -- including in the US -- there seems to be something about generally wanting people subject to same-sex screeners doing the pat-downs. This is why most airports in the US have TSA trying to keep at least one female TSA screener assigned at all/most all screening checkpoint operating hours.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Japan also has some women-only train/metro cards...I know I've heard of some other places, too, but can't think of them offhand.
The Dubai metro system has dedicated spaces for women and children, both on the stations and on board.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I would like it providing the lavs are separated too. Men complete their bodily functions faster than women and don't hog the facilities to apply makeup, fuss with their hair or change into their PJs on a long haul.

The problem however would be the overhead bins. Rarely is there a flight where there isn't at least one weak/short woman who cant get her bag into the overhead. I have yet to see a weak woman ask another woman for help. Instead they impose on some tall and robust man to help them. If we aren't nearby whatever will the ladies do?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by vanillabean
Journalist claims...
SMH some people's children.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:24 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
This is why most airports in the US have TSA trying to keep at least one female TSA screener assigned at all/most all screening checkpoint operating hours.
I believe in Germany, there is a law that gives you the right to a same-sex screener. So there are always male and female screeners around.

I think it's similar in many countries that a woman has a right to a female screener. That also goes for body searches by the police.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1flyer
I believe in Germany, there is a law that gives you the right to a same-sex screener. So there are always male and female screeners around.

I think it's similar in many countries that a woman has a right to a female screener. That also goes for body searches by the police.
I recall some male FTer claiming they liked the option of having their pat-down done by female screeners at CPH (and perhaps some other Nordic/Scandinavian country airports). But I don't find many opposite-sex pat-downs going on in this area either, even as I've seen some of course.

Originally Posted by Badenoch
I would like it providing the lavs are separated too. Men complete their bodily functions faster than women and don't hog the facilities to apply makeup, fuss with their hair or change into their PJs on a long haul.

The problem however would be the overhead bins. Rarely is there a flight where there isn't at least one weak/short woman who cant get her bag into the overhead. I have yet to see a weak woman ask another woman for help. Instead they impose on some tall and robust man to help them. If we aren't nearby whatever will the ladies do?
I see some older women asking younger women for help with overhead bags. I also see some women asking other women for help with overhead bags when they are carrying a lot of stuff along with one or more young child.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:11 am
Suspended

I see some older women asking younger women for help with overhead bags. I also see some women asking other women for help with overhead bags when they are carrying a lot of stuff along with one or more young child.
I've been asked to help lift a bag and always do. Not one woman has ever asked my wife if she's traveling with me. They ask me.

You do however outline a couple of other distinct benefits of having the women in the back. Fewer kids and more room in the overhead bins for us. Women tend to be among the worst offenders for too much stuff -- carry-on, personal item, monster purse, huge duty free bag. And further away from squalling infants is always better. Instead of dad having to help mom with a crying baby he can order another beer and relax.
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:16 am
Suspended

I've been asked to help lift a bag and always do. Not one woman has ever asked my wife if she's traveling with me. They ask me.

You do however outline a couple of other distinct benefits of having the women in the back. Fewer kids and more room in the overhead bins for us. Women tend to be among the worst offenders for too much stuff -- carry-on, personal item, monster purse, huge duty free bag. And further away from squalling infants is always better. Instead of dad having to help mom with a crying baby he can order another beer and relax.
I've seen more dads traveling alone with young kids on my flights this month than I've seen moms doing that, so don't count on the "men's section" being "child-free". This ain't the premium cabin of say MH or whichever other airline has tried that kind of ban.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Life can certainly suck for women, but undeniably in the Western world they have a number of concessions that are not available to males.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:49 am
Suspended

I've seen more dads traveling alone with young kids on my flights this month than I've seen moms doing that, so don't count on the "men's section" being "child-free". This ain't the premium cabin of say MH or whichever other airline has tried that kind of ban.
Not my experience on long haul flights. Most men with infants were part of a couple and not on their own. A womans-only section won't reduce proximity to children entirely but it will reduce it significantly.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I recall some male FTer claiming they liked the option of having their pat-down done by female screeners at CPH (and perhaps some other Nordic/Scandinavian country airports). But I don't find many opposite-sex pat-downs going on in this area either, even as I've seen some of course.
A common cheerful statement among repressed Scandinavian husbands with their wives as the intended audience!

And further away from squalling infants is always better. Instead of dad having to help mom with a crying baby he can order another beer and relax.
Sounds good to me.
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by vanillabean

A common cheerful statement among repressed Scandinavian husbands with their wives as the intended audience!
IIRC the comment came from a divorced Israeli-American.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:29 pm

<snip> Women tend to be among the worst offenders for too much stuff -- carry-on, personal item, monster purse, huge duty free bag. <snip>
Really????

Comparing individual to individual, maybe. Maybe

But on the average flight I find myself on, the worst offenders are the "businessmen", who pack on a full size rollaboard, briefcase/backpack, CPAP, and a suit jacket or raincoat, and then fill up a whole bin with their stuff, barely leaving enough room to close the door around their frequent traveler "brag tags".

I bet the ratio of men like that to the women that you describe is easily 10:1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.