Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cardboard Box as Checked Baggage on International Flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Cardboard Box as Checked Baggage on International Flight

I am in US currently and will be traveling to India next month or so. I already have 2 bags that I am taking with me but I want to take an additional 3rd bag too. I don't intend to buy a bag for multiple reasons..one I already have many bags back in India so no space to store bags, bags will be expensive and most importantly, the bags by itself would be heavier than a box which means I would be carrying lesser stuff in the additional "bag".

That's why, I intend to take a cardboard box as checked in bag with me. I am looking for tips from people who can suggest to which box to buy, how to make sure I don't go overweight on the box (as it is difficult to weigh it), how to properly pack.
Few boxes I am considering are...

-> Lowes Medium size heavy duty box (has no handles or anything anywhere). Cheapest of lot I gues
Link: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Classic-Med...16-in/50098524

-> Uhaul Luggage Box - Looks good and seems reasonably priced but since it is not available to pickup for me, it would cost me extra to ship, like $7-$10 shipping.
Link: https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies...-Box/?id=12231

->Air Travel Box - Costs around $20 inclusive of shipping. Nice design but I don't care about that.
Link:
Amazon Amazon

Does anyone have suggestions either from above or any other thing worth buying?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
What are you planning to pack in the box?
I'd be tempted to go DIMPA bag instead. $4 at IKEA, has handles, foldup or throwaway.

I checked a fold-up bike in mine. A bit beat up after six segments, but still usable.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:16 am

Box

Originally Posted by rak007
I am in US currently and will be traveling to India next month or so. I already have 2 bags that I am taking with me but I want to take an additional 3rd bag too. I don't intend to buy a bag for multiple reasons..one I already have many bags back in India so no space to store bags, bags will be expensive and most importantly, the bags by itself would be heavier than a box which means I would be carrying lesser stuff in the additional "bag".

That's why, I intend to take a cardboard box as checked in bag with me. I am looking for tips from people who can suggest to which box to buy, how to make sure I don't go overweight on the box (as it is difficult to weigh it), how to properly pack.
Few boxes I am considering are...

-> Lowes Medium size heavy duty box (has no handles or anything anywhere). Cheapest of lot I gues
Link: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Classic-Med...16-in/50098524

-> Uhaul Luggage Box - Looks good and seems reasonably priced but since it is not available to pickup for me, it would cost me extra to ship, like $7-$10 shipping.
Link: https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies...-Box/?id=12231

->Air Travel Box - Costs around $20 inclusive of shipping. Nice design but I don't care about that.
Link: https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-Re...air+travel+box

Does anyone have suggestions either from above or any other thing worth buying?
why not stop in to your local grocery store/ dollar store, I’m pretty sure they’d be more than happy to give you a box for free that suits your needs. You may need to check back if they don’t have any, the hassle beats having to buy a box!
as for weighing, it’s simple, get a rope and bring around all for corners and use a scale to weigh from the top.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The rules and costs will vary by air carrier. Nobody here can tell you what is best without knowing the carrier.

As a general matter, the term used is "checked bag" but it does not mean that it can't be a box. Depending on what you are shipping, it may be cheaper and easier to buy a one-use bag. The Ikea suggestion is a good one. Amazon has numerous bags in the same range. When I say "one use" I don't mean that you must toss the bag on arrival. But, it is not manufactured for long-term usage and if you don't need it, give it to somebody or stuff it in a bin somewhere on arrival. Perfect for clothing and soft items. Typically will weigh less than a pound and that matters a lot as excess bag fees are topped only by excess weight fees (on most carriers).
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: Delta, United
None of the above. Save yourself some money and just get one from your office or a store that is going to recycle it. My only suggestion is that I often double box when checking it box. That tends to hold up better. Also I put string around the box so to make it easy to carry. However, do attach anything else to the string like the baggage tag (it might come off).
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I have checked boxes on domestic and international trips quite a few times. Make sure you heed the dimensional limits. Some airlines get more picky with boxes than luggage.

Another very important thing, is that many airlines won’t pay for damages to the contents of a cardboard box, but will for luggage. A cheap, lightweight bag may be the best option. They will usually pay if they lose a box.

Are the contents fragile or valuable?

Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cat Man Do
What are you planning to pack in the box?
I'd be tempted to go DIMPA bag instead. $4 at IKEA, has handles, foldup or throwaway.

I checked a fold-up bike in mine. A bit beat up after six segments, but still usable.
Thanks for this suggestion. Looks good. Just that it is transparent which is something I don't like.

Originally Posted by Often1
The rules and costs will vary by air carrier. Nobody here can tell you what is best without knowing the carrier.

As a general matter, the term used is "checked bag" but it does not mean that it can't be a box. Depending on what you are shipping, it may be cheaper and easier to buy a one-use bag. The Ikea suggestion is a good one. Amazon has numerous bags in the same range. When I say "one use" I don't mean that you must toss the bag on arrival. But, it is not manufactured for long-term usage and if you don't need it, give it to somebody or stuff it in a bin somewhere on arrival. Perfect for clothing and soft items. Typically will weigh less than a pound and that matters a lot as excess bag fees are topped only by excess weight fees (on most carriers).
Any suggestions for any good lightweight "single use" bag? Apart from the IKEA mentioned above.

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
None of the above. Save yourself some money and just get one from your office or a store that is going to recycle it. My only suggestion is that I often double box when checking it box. That tends to hold up better. Also I put string around the box so to make it easy to carry. However, do attach anything else to the string like the baggage tag (it might come off).
I guess double box means box inside box. Is this achievable with 2 same size boxes or a medium box inside large box? Or a medium / large box with smaller boxes inside with stuff (like use the amazon, walmart boxes I may have lying at home)?

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I have checked boxes on domestic and international trips quite a few times. Make sure you heed the dimensional limits. Some airlines get more picky with boxes than luggage.

Another very important thing, is that many airlines won’t pay for damages to the contents of a cardboard box, but will for luggage. A cheap, lightweight bag may be the best option. They will usually pay if they lose a box.

Are the contents fragile or valuable?

Any suggestions for cheap lightweight luggage ?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by rak007
Any suggestions for cheap lightweight luggage ?
I think it really depends on the size you need, and if the contents are fragile.

I’ve seen cheap larger bags at Walmart or Target.

I used to import a lot of stuff from China, and I’d grab a cheap big bag there for $10-15. Even loaded up with 70 pounds of stuff, they’d usually last 2-3 trips, before a wheel or handle would break.

You can always check out a thrift store, dollar store or such.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K

$5.99 plastic storage box from an office supply store; clear packing tape to secure the top and cover the label with your name and phone number
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
My concern with cardboard box is that it will disintegrate if it gets wet. A cheapo bag might not keep your stuff dry, but it won't fall apart in the rain
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Redhead
My concern with cardboard box is that it will disintegrate if it gets wet. A cheapo bag might not keep your stuff dry, but it won't fall apart in the rain
Good Point. Never considered that. I know plastic wrap around box would work but that means I am plonking more money in that. I will try to search for some cheap and lightweight bag.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

I saw a post on this forum about this IKEA FRAKTA Zipper bag. Has anyone used this as checked bag. It is less than Half a Kg. Max Load says 55 LB and probably can be somehow doubled (2 bags) to provide extra strength.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90149148/
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just buy a basic plastic storage bin/tub at Target or whatever and tape it shut. Much stronger and waterproof, can be had for under $10.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by hfly
Just buy a basic plastic storage bin/tub at Target or whatever and tape it shut. Much stronger and waterproof, can be had for under $10.
ummmm, didn’t you see post #9 — complete with photo — above?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm, was referring to the type which is NOT transparent and far more robust
https://www.target.com/p/sterilite-20-gal-latch-tote-gray-with-green-latches/-/A-13680081

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.