Search

Salary & business class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
if the guy is an equity partner & they go bust, he'll not only make no income, but have to pay off some debt
It’s possible to be an equity partner in a major law firm without being personally liable for the firm’s debts when the firm goes bust.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I fly mostly for business, but my own business so it all comes out of my pocket. I always book the best possible seat (regardless of whether its business or leisure) and I avoid long haul international flights that don't have F. I fly about 400k miles a years. If I flew less I'd probably fly Y.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by 5khours
I fly mostly for business, but my own business so it all comes out of my pocket.
If its tax-deductable as a business expense, you cant really say it ALL comes out of your pocket...
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by rankourabu
If its tax-deductable as a business expense, you cant really say it ALL comes out of your pocket...
Oh cmon, that's like saying a small-biz owner who buys any item needed for their work isn't paying for all of it out of their pocket because it's tax-deductible.

A legit business expense is simply a loss that's subtracted from revenues (ignoring capital costs yadda yadda)
Old Apr 9, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Beside the fact that it's a ridiculous argument, because of a high level of investment the deduction has no impact on my taxes.

Last edited by 5khours; Apr 10, 2019 at 6:24 pm
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by GUWonder

It’s possible to be an equity partner in a major law firm without being personally liable for the firm’s debts when the firm goes bust.
It's so realistic it goes bust.... But yes, of course it's not only possible.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Most people aren't going to reveal their income. I will pay a little extra for first class, but usually it costs substantially more. I can't imagine having an income of $75,000 and paying a lot of extra money for first class tickets. For the purchase of first class tickets on one's own dime to be reasonable you need an income of five to 10 times that.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by Rebelyell
I can't imagine having an income of $75,000 and paying a lot of extra money for first class tickets. For the purchase of first class tickets on one's own dime to be reasonable you need an income of five to 10 times that.
While this is true, people do fly paid F without paying for it personally. My wife is one example -- fresh out of college, she got a job as personal assistant and interpreter for a notable Japanese architect and accompanied him in F on a business trip from NRT to KUL. Her salary at the time was well below $75k.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by joejones
While this is true, people do fly paid F without paying for it personally. My wife is one example -- fresh out of college, she got a job as personal assistant and interpreter for a notable Japanese architect and accompanied him in F on a business trip from NRT to KUL. Her salary at the time was well below $75k.
Thats OPM (other peoples money) - and those pax make up most of the front cabin - and some dont make much money at all - which is how this thread started - in no way does salary relate to flying business class. You can sales people that not only dont make a lot of money, but also work 6 days a week for 51 weeks a year sitting in business class, not that uncommon.

I dont agree that you need to make $375,000 (75*5) a year to afford to fly business class. You can certainly do it on 75k (especially if after tax), provided you budget your money well, dont pay retail, and are not head over heals in other debt, etc.
Is it wise/advisable or is there value in it? Thats a personal decision. I dont see any value in J, but I can sleep/be comfortable in Y, even longhaul. If I was taller/larger/older - maybe I'd see more value in J (And I have over a million miles in J/F under my belt, all out of pocket, all before age 40)
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Most people aren't going to reveal their income. I will pay a little extra for first class, but usually it costs substantially more. I can't imagine having an income of $75,000 and paying a lot of extra money for first class tickets. For the purchase of first class tickets on one's own dime to be reasonable you need an income of five to 10 times that.
This thread gets more and more comedy. Always funny people so excactly know about others spendings. My last 5 cent
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Generally agreed, but I fly mostly domestic short-haul flights. First class is often about $120 more, vs. using E-upgrades that would cost $90 for the trip if I paid for them. It's an easy choice to just book first class in that situation.

For international flights, I usually just use miles and pay the cash co-pay. I don't think that I've ever paid cash-only for an international business or first class trip. A few thousand dollars, invested wisely, could certainly help with retirement planning.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
I agree with the poster - it is very easy to differentiate between people who don't pay for their own flights, ie. flying for work and those who are not. Especially on US/European airlines.

That's another thing. Even if its not an issue to buy a $5000 ticket, justification for it is hard. We are not going to spend $10000 on an airplane seat for a few hours. That same $10000 is going to pay for a few weeks of travel, travel far more luxurious than that flat bed on a flight for a few hours.

Of course, only a fool would spend $5000 on a ticket out of their own pocket when there are so many way of getting the same thing for much less using miles (and should immediately be banned from FT )

I love how people can decide what I can afford or not, if Its worth 5000 to buy a ticket I will, obviously I look around but if that fare suits for a myriad of possible reasons, it paid, and only the accuser is a fool as he is making judgements without knowledge, may you should run for US President !
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Thats OPM (other peoples money) - and those pax make up most of the front cabin - and some dont make much money at all - which is how this thread started - in no way does salary relate to flying business class. You can sales people that not only dont make a lot of money, but also work 6 days a week for 51 weeks a year sitting in business class, not that uncommon.

I dont agree that you need to make $375,000 (75*5) a year to afford to fly business class. You can certainly do it on 75k (especially if after tax), provided you budget your money well, dont pay retail, and are not head over heals in other debt, etc.
Is it wise/advisable or is there value in it? Thats a personal decision. I dont see any value in J, but I can sleep/be comfortable in Y, even longhaul. If I was taller/larger/older - maybe I'd see more value in J (And I have over a million miles in J/F under my belt, all out of pocket, all before age 40)
RTW in business class, perhaps with nested mileage tickets, can be a rather good deal for some who aren't even making $150k/year in AGI as on their 1040.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by rbwpi
I collect unemployment regularly on an annual basis, furnish my wardrobe at Goodwill Industries and travel internationally twice a year (TATL & TPAC) using miles and points. I do this on 30K a year, in case anyone is interested. And have enough to get wasted most every weekend with wine, women and song. I spend the rest of my money foolishly.

Thinking about starting a Go Fund Me page to finance additional travel.
I don't know the poster. Is this serious or in jest? Either way, kudos!
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
Sometimes there is no other option or simply a lack of miles...... Also not every route is available with miles and for some it´s even worth a few thousands to fly without extra stop or from a more conveniant airport.
I agree. The few times I have paid for business were because I needed to get somewhere and there wasn't good timing with points. Hated it though (paying full price for business)
offerendum likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.