Wiki Posts
Search

Salary & business class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:12 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
almost everyone on FT spends above average on travel, even if doing awards
Yup! Our travel budget has gone sky high.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Yup! Our travel budget has gone sky high.
much just like anything else. Car people spend crazy amounts on cars. They know the difference between the years.

Many flyertalkers spend tons and travel and know the different levels of J cabins on different airlines flying the exact same planes.

Old Dec 12, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
almost everyone on FT spends above average on travel, even if doing awards
Glad that I am exception here.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invisible
Glad that I am exception here.
if american, low average travel
if elsewhere, travel is cheaper

'true' "average" by country or world

some of us travel extremely little
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:55 am

The question regarding whether/not I'm spending too much on travel (vacation) has been on my mind a lot recently. So this is a great thread. There's almost not travel in my work, so almost everything is on my own dime. Plus it's usually me, wife and 2 kids traveling together everywhere.

Originally Posted by UAFlyerMSP
I spend about $25K/year on travel and I always fly business class overseas. To Europe I just use upgrades or miles unless I get a ticket for low $2,000rt. For Asia and Africa I always buy biz class on Qatar but I never spend more than $4000 for a ticket and Qatar is the only airline I'll give my money to as I feel they're worth every penny. My income is generally $115-$125K.
You are brave to disclose your income. But when you say your income is $115-125k, I presume this is your gross income? If so, your take-home after tax, insurance and retirement contribution is in the $60-70k range? In that case, $25k/year on travel is a pretty hefty travel spending. Makes me feel better to know there are others spending as much or more %-wise than us on travels. Out of my take-home, I spend 25% on travel and 30% on mortgage. With what's left, we still live comfortably but we're almost living paycheck to paycheck.

More to the point of this thread... even though we spend a lot on travels, we still can't afford J/F because there're 4 of us and we also travel internationally multiple times a year. J is something I do once in a while as a splurge, but only via award booking. Have to fly Y almost every time, except I will try to do PE if it's more than 12-14hrs of flying.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by evergrn
But when you say your income is $115-125k
You assume that's annual income. Maybe that poster meant monthly or weekly
evergrn and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by evergrn
More to the point of this thread... even though we spend a lot on travels, we still can't afford J/F because there're 4 of us and we also travel internationally multiple times a year. J is something I do once in a while as a splurge, but only via award booking. Have to fly Y almost every time, except I will try to do PE if it's more than 12-14hrs of flying.
My wife and I spend about 20% of our combined after tax income on travel every year, and do not fly for work, have no mortgage and minimal bills. We have 11-13 weeks a year vacation, which we spend 8-10 on actual vacation. We could easily fly J, but find very little value in it, unless its on points.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
My wife and I spend about 20% of our combined after tax income on travel every year, and do not fly for work, have no mortgage and minimal bills. We have 11-13 weeks a year vacation, which we spend 8-10 on actual vacation. We could easily fly J, but find very little value in it, unless its on points.
That seems like healthy budgeting. You must be able to save a lot of money. On the contrary, I have huge mortgage and huge bills due to 2 kids.

I'm envious that you get that much vacation per year. I get 1/4~1/3 of what you get for vacation and work in a field that's notorious for burnout. I feel like I have to get my vacation fix at least every 3-4 months to keep going. But due to limited vacation days, I usually only get away for 5-10 days at a time. I agree with you that I find little value in spending 3-5x to fly in J and much more value in spending the extra $ to stay in a luxury hotel. But on our typical vacation, we would take an 8-day trip to a place that takes 24hrs door to door. When the travel time is 1/4 of your entire vacation, I think there's all the more value in flying comfortably. Yet, traveling in J is cost-prohibitive and would likely push our vacation spending from our current 25% of take-home to ~50%. Totally unsustainable. On the other hand, I find it a torture to fly more than 12 hours straight in Y. So I splurge for PE on really long flights, knowing that PE is probably the worst value out of all the cabins.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Even if a major Bay Area law firm goes under, most of the partners in such a major business center office for such law firm will have done way better financially than the average resident in the area or anywhere else in the country. This became rather clear even after the dot-com bust.
if the guy is an equity partner & they go bust, he'll not only make no income, but have to pay off some debt
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UAFlyerMSP
I spend about $25K/year on travel and I always fly business class overseas. To Europe I just use upgrades or miles unless I get a ticket for low $2,000rt. For Asia and Africa I always buy biz class on Qatar but I never spend more than $4000 for a ticket and Qatar is the only airline I'll give my money to as I feel they're worth every penny. My income is generally $115-$125K.
wow, just wow. Based on these figures, you can't afford to even fly basic economy or should be flying ULCCs only. If you have any other debts, you shouldn't be flying anywhere, you should be paying down those debts
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
wow, just wow. Based on these figures, you can't afford to even fly basic economy or should be flying ULCCs only. If you have any other debts, you shouldn't be flying anywhere, you should be paying down those debts
Agree with your comment!
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tasnam
Agree with your comment!
How do we know he has debts? My brother and his wife are teachers and make about $115-125K and they spend easily $25K a year on travel and have no debts.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Disagree. How does someone who makes $115,000 a year not have $25000 in extra disposable income?
One must have pretty poor budgeting skills not to be able to scrounge up $25k on a $115k salary to cover travel (or whatever they want to spend $25k on)
Old Apr 8, 2019, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
I can't tell if the last five or so posts are serious or trolling.
offerendum, mmff and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Disagree. How does someone who makes $115,000 a year not have $25000 in extra disposable income?
One must have pretty poor budgeting skills not to be able to scrounge up $25k on a $115k salary to cover travel (or whatever they want to spend $25k on)
It's not possible to conclude that without knowing more about a person's whole financial picture. Consider person A and person B, each earning $115k annual salary. Person A supports a family of 4 and has a modest size mortgage and car payments. Assume this is the US, where health care costs for a family of 4 are a significant budget item, as is having to set aside money for one's own retirement. Even $5k of annual discretionary budget could be hard to identify, let alone $25k. Now consider person B with no mortgage or rent (maybe the house is paid off, maybe they're living free of charge in Mom and Dad's pool house) and no dependents (no kids yet or kids are grown). Earmarking $25k/year for travel may still not be trivial for person B but it is at least conceivable.
MEABFlyer and polyesther like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.